Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS for walking
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS for walking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Cycling, Sports and Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bambini
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: GPS for walking Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm a bit new to all this GPS stuff, so please bear with me Smile

My friend has a Google Phone that has an app which can track your walking routes and map it onto Google Maps. Brilliant. I don't really want to buy anything overly flashy like a google phone when I only want to use 1 app, so I'm looking for a GPS unit to take with me when walking and was wondering if someone could give me some advice.

I often walk long distances (10+ miles) and I'm looking for a way to track my route so I can upload it to my PC and put it onto Google Maps or something similar.

I'm not looking for anything too flashy or expensive, but I guess the GPS unit would have to meet a few criteria:

- It can track routes that I walk (across the UK)
- It has a long battery life (at least 6 hours) or has a solar panel/replaceable batteries
- It needs to be lightweight
- I would like it to keep track of info like average speed, etc.
- Inexpensive (if possible)
- It should be fairly tough and preferably waterproof.

I don't really need something that will show me an on-screen map or will provide me with directions, just more or less something that collects data for me to look at on my computer later.

I'm not that clued up with terminology, so could someone also tell me the kind of thing I should be typing into Google to look for this? Is it a data logger? A GPS tracker?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at GPS data loggers there are quite a few to choose from, quite a few of the team and Mods on this forum use the Columbus Logger which uses a built in rechargeable battery but its good for long durations from a full charge. Data is stored to a 2GB card, you can even save speech to it tagged against a specific location - Mike
Bambini
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm liking the look of the Columbus V-900 (it got a glowing review here). It can even go onto Google Maps! Brill, thanks for the recommendation Smile

Does anyone know whether I can get one from the UK, and where they are cheap? A quick google search suggests that it's available in the US only.
mediaguycouk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these - http://www.gisteq.com/PhotoTrackrLite.php - and highly recommend it.

It has no screen so you can't use it as a navigation device but it will give you routes and, if you take pictures, will geotag them and place them on the map.
Bambini
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mediaguycouk wrote:
I have one of these - http://www.gisteq.com/PhotoTrackrLite.php - and highly recommend it.

Very nice. Just wondering how much data can be stored on it. Could I take it on a 50 mile hike for instance and still be able to store more points on it (assuming I took enough batteries)?
mediaguycouk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a little confusing. It has a 4MB memory but uses it's own format so it is massively more compressed than a text file (which you can export to but only from the software).

That page says 250,000 log points. So...

1 point per second = 2.8 days non-stop
1 point per 5 seconds = 14 days non-stop
1 point per 10 seconds = 28 days non-stop

I use it at 5 seconds and it will turn itself off if you keep it still for 10 minutes.

I used it most days on my 7 or 14 day holidays and have no problems.
mediaguycouk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found my old test from 2008

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=http:%2F%2Fwww.mediaguy.co.uk%2Ftempcode%2Favenue.kmz&ie=UTF8

You can see where I go indoor as the GPS goes a bit haywire
Bambini
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that sounds really good. Exactly what I need.

I've been reading around though and have heard that the software might be fiddly and irritating (although a more recent version - 2.2? seems to have rectified some of the issues).

Someone also wrote about the whole thing just falling apart in a matter of weeks. How robust have you found it?
mediaguycouk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read that the battery clip can easily break, but knowing that I've been careful and am yet to have issues.
scissors
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at garmins gps60. You can get them from about £60 (maybe cheaper on ebay)

I've used it in the past with memory map. Does all that you've asked. Water rproof to 1m, 28 hours batts track logging etc...

I've recently upgraded to a gpsmap6ocx (bought cheap at pixmania).

With this and a program called mapwel I can take map rom memory map and put OS maps on the GPS (even though officially it's not supported).

I can also put garmins western europe road maps on it for cycling auto routing..

but for the basics, that gps60

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=6446&ra=true
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously consider a phone with GPS. I have a Sony Ericson C702, which is IPx4 (Splashproof) rated. It will do exactly what you want out of the box, as will any GPS enabled SE phone. I have no experiance with others, but they should be just as good.

Go onto getjar.com and download any of the dozens of GPS apps. get free street mapping using GPSMid and open street maps, get Free topo with Trackbuddy. You names it, it will be there.

Battery life can be a concern, so theres a couple fo options. Cayy a spare battery or two - 10 quid if that, or an external battery pack taht plugs in while you walk and charges the phone - only needed for the longer walks.

Although a dedicated Garmin handheld is better for the job, from what you have said, a mid range cellphone is more than adequate, and you will probably be carring a cell anyways.
jolly47roger
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPSU (www.gpsu.co.uk) is an excellent application for planning and reviewing tracks.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Cycling, Sports and Fitness All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: