Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - RDS-TMC (Split from Navcore 9 discussion)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

RDS-TMC (Split from Navcore 9 discussion)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CPN
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boblister wrote:
Thanks for that. My main thought was reception in the Lake District, where I live. Plus I need to use it for more than a year to break even with the Live service at £47 something.
I have the RDS mount for my 940 and previously I had the plug-in unit for my older 910. Used them both many times when going up and down the country to my mother's place in the W.Midlands from Scotland (in the case of the 940, in between Live subs). The reliability was about the same for both coming up the M6 corridor. The problem with RDS-TMC seems to be that it starts getting patchy reception wise, North of Manchester and getting toward the M55 turn off...

In a way, I don't really get it because even though you can still get a good Classic FM reception (it usually gets the RDS-TMC sub carrier from that station in the UK), it quite often started to drop out north of some of the first junctions for the Lake District (coming north). Once you start getting into the more hilly regions of Cumbria proper, it becomes a dead loss frankly. RDS-TMC reception in Scotland proper is very patchy; even though Classic FM itself is fine. (it's as if some of the local transmitters don't have the sub-carrier turned on...)

Not what you want to hear I know but I wouldn't want to have to rely on it around the Lake District in the same way that I know I could rely on the Live Services for the same area...

Colin
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Forton services (now named Lancaster services, the one with the concrete tower) down to around Thelwall Viaduct (the Manchester ship canal bridge) on the M6 your RDS unit should be using 105,4FM which is Real Radio transmitted from Winter Hill, not all iTIS Traffic data is only using the Classic FM network as they use local stations to fill in, 105,4FM is one such station, perhaps they are having an issue at the moment resulting in poor reception while passing through this area.

Sadly there is no way of knowing which frequency your RDS device is using as TomTom removed this capability a number of years ago - Mike
CPN
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Sadly there is no way of knowing which frequency your RDS device is using as TomTom removed this capability a number of years ago - Mike
Hi Mike, yes, I was aware of these "fill-ins" and both the 910 and the 940 are supposed to "roam" between them to these frequencies "automagically" as they weaken but that doesn't seem to happen. I have sometimes been able to force it onto one of them as long as I have had my "crib-sheet" of alternate f's at hand by using manual tuning mode (on both).

Actually, with the RDS-TMC active, you can see which freq it's on? (bottom left corner when you go to that RDS related section of the menus...) Of course, you need a list of freqs to make use of it though... For whatever reason, TT's RDS-TMC units seem to be "biased" toward 101.7 which can be a pain...

Colin
boblister
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very useful Colin/Mike. It's given me a lot of food for thought. I am around 25 miles away from J36 of the M6 in Ulverston and Real radio gets patchy after junction 34. But oddly enough our TV signal used to come from Winter Hill till we went Sky only.

I might still see if I can pick on up on eBay or something so there isn't much to loose. Then if it doesn't work out opt for the Live services again. There has been times when Live has either gone down or had bad reception as well.
CPN
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth a shot. As you say, not much to lose. In your area, sadly, you seem to be between a rock and a hard place since both FM & Cellular reception is going to be a bit "iffy" at best; given the topography of the place... Crying or Very sad

Colin
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaps, I split this discussion out of the main Navcore 9 thread as it was becomming a discussion within a different topic!

Some information you might find of interest regarding the frequency to use, the file is still available if you want it and it covers UK, France and Scandinavia.

How to find the correct frequency for the RDS-TMC relative to current position.

In order to know the correct frequency as you travel around the UK it is possible to use a custom POI file that contains the location, name, power level and frequency of all the transmitters.

Once installed to the device go to Browse Map and tap the Find button. Select POI/ POI near you select the TMC POI in the list and the unit will return the information you need.

Note the transmitters power level is included in brackets this value is in KW the higher the figure the longer the effective range of that mast.

If the first frequency listed fails to work it is also worth trying the others nearest your position.

If anyone wants the TMC POI file please use my e-mail button below and I will reply with the files attached (they are small files) - Mike
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CPN wrote:
mikealder wrote:
Hi Mike, yes, I was aware of these "fill-ins" and both the 910 and the 940 are supposed to "roam" between them to these frequencies "automagically" as they weaken but that doesn't seem to happen. I have sometimes been able to force it onto one of them as long as I have had my "crib-sheet" of alternate f's at hand by using manual tuning mode (on both).

Actually, with the RDS-TMC active, you can see which freq it's on? (bottom left corner when you go to that RDS related section of the menus...) Of course, you need a list of freqs to make use of it though... For whatever reason, TT's RDS-TMC units seem to be "biased" toward 101.7 which can be a pain...

I have a 720 and could not see this - presumably you mean the menu you get when tapping the traffic bar?

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
jonial
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Mike

I clicked on the e-mail link at the bottom of your post but have not yet received the TMC transmitter files - is there a problem?

Thanks
John in Garstang

Garmin Nuvi 2547LM
CamerAlert
PGPS Speed Cameras
boblister
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here Mike. No file yet. The receiver turned up in the post 30 mins ago and seems to work fine. Not sure what it's tuned to but I have a green signal and what looks like information here in Ulverston.
boblister
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CPN wrote:

Do you know if this should be there on the 540/740? When I go the the RDS info, in the bottom left corner is just says
Last Update: Up to Date.
JoolsTwo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reception on southern / western part of M25 is absolute rubbish. I've tried manual tuning on 100.3, 100.6 & 100.9 (seems the 3 local feqs for Classic FM) but still no joy Sad

I too have have had no response to email or PM, perhaps Mike's away

Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonial wrote:
For Mike

I clicked on the e-mail link at the bottom of your post but have not yet received the TMC transmitter files - is there a problem?

Thanks
John in Garstang

Same here!
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Did you actually send Mike an email?

If so, then you might have to wait a day or 2 as Mike has a day job too...
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:

Did you actually send Mike an email?

If so, then you might have to wait a day or 2 as Mike has a day job too...

Yes, on July 24th- the only reason I am chasing is because I leave for holiday tomorrow!
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you all check you have received the files as I have just sent them out now I am back at the PC, rather difficult to send files from a phone which has been my only e-mail system for the past few days! - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: