Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GO940 - New TomTom App v9.054, Now No Live Services
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GO940 - New TomTom App v9.054, Now No Live Services
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomtom upgrade Reply with quote

RogerCritch wrote:
Is v9.054 with the x50 OK?

It wasn't with me, but then I've not seen anyone else with X50 complaining. It messed up my 950 and said that voices were incompatible with the languages. Had to restore the BackUp I made on receipt of the device earlier this year. Now I have the app. which I had before 9.054 was offered and I have no intention of installing that.

See this thread here
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milesey wrote:
Has anybody here, who has spoken to TomTom, been given an ETA of when a working update will be released?

No.

RogerCritch wrote:
Is v9.054 with the x50 OK?

Yes.
And if you have a good backup of the system, you should have nothing to fear anyway as you can always revert to v8 software again.

To remind everyone, the problem is not between the software and the machine itself, but between the software and the SIM card fitted to most UK x40 models.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all seems a bit unusual, I have never heard of SIM incompatabilites in mobile phones so why should the hardware in a UK SIM be any different to a European SIM? There is a standard for SIMs.

I would guess it is more likely that some of the gprs modem commands in the \bin\gprscomd file have been incorrectly written and will not connect to Vodaphone UK. This file is operating version specific so using a version from an earlier version will not work around the problem.
jamsie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: go 740 live Reply with quote

excuse my ignorance but i do not have a sim card in my 740 live, or do i, unless it is built in i do not use the external sim card. can anyone clarify this for me thanks, Embarassed
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Live Services range form TomTom have a built in SIM that you cannot access without dismantling the unit.
JohnMulholland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i do not use the external sim card

You may be confusing the SIM card (used for communication) with the memory card, for which you do have a slot.
Map: Europe v925.5413
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
It all seems a bit unusual, I have never heard of SIM incompatabilites in mobile phones so why should the hardware in a UK SIM be any different to a European SIM? There is a standard for SIMs.

There are actually several different versions of standard to choose from, and by now there are hundreds of standardised and non-standardised options. Having worked in the design of mobile phones, I know it is not uncommon for SIM card manufacturers to ignore parts of the software and hardware standards (as long as they can find a network operator who buys them and then forces the handset manufactures to make them work). So anything could have happened.

In this particular case, however, I would take with a pinch of salt that the SIM card itself has anything much to do with the problem, it is probably just the Vodafone APN settings are wrong.
beashley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an insurance against these dodgy updates in the future I have done the following.

My TomTom 940L is run from an 8GB card. I have nothing on the internal memory so after last weeks debacle, and still not functioning properly after their suggested remedy, I restored the last backup ( these are very important) onto second 8GB card then updated it as normal EXCEPT the latest V9 application. All works well.

On all future updates relating to Apps. or Maps I will update to the card I am not using then swap the cards over in the 940L this way I will always have a last good working version. Should the latest update fail just swap it back. Oh and do a backup before the update.
radville
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What shambles!! Nothing from Tom Tom apart from a customer satisfaction form to complete. I will definitely not purchase their products again. Are they really this stupid!! Please can someone tell me if and when my 540 will be compliant with the new download. Just to think I pay them a subscription fee for this rubbish. Someone deserves to get their arse kicked at TT.
ItsMikeE
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarV12e wrote:
In this particular case, however, I would take with a pinch of salt that the SIM card itself has anything much to do with the problem, it is probably just the Vodafone APN settings are wrong.
Sounds reasonable to me, except that surely that would be very quick and easy to fix
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radville wrote:
Please can someone tell me if and when my 540 will be compliant with the new download. Just to think I pay them a subscription fee for this rubbish. Someone deserves to get their arse kicked at TT.

I do not pay a subcription for application updates.
radville
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr T (very original and topical at the moment) Frankly I must be bored to respond to you, but there we go. I think you know the point I was making, in addition if you feel that their service in general is acceptable, then I don't know why people bother mailing in to forums.

EDITED by AP to remove personal insult. There was no need for it, certainly when all he said was a simple statement of fact to correct your mistake.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radville, you are obviously upset but there is no need to blame us!

The simple facts of the matter is that the device still works just as well as when you bought it.
No one has insisted that you have to update to new software. Continue to use v8 software and you get exactly what you paid for.

The software update is free and it is up to you whether you decide to use it or not.

Yes, they have made a cock-up. But the same version of software DOES work on the x50 and XL models and also on most x40's on mainland Europe.
radville
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if you took exception to my comments but with respect, nothing is free. This unit at the time was one of the more expensive out there. When the download was put on my pc, I forget the exact wording but it does to a layman imply that it should be updated to your sat nav asap. I think it poor that no fix time has been advised
glidem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most companies don't offer time frames for risk of running late and causing more problems for themselves.

I am sure it will get sorted and I look forward to the corrected update for my 940 as it ran far better than version 8 did overall.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 7 of 16

Jump to: