Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon MobileNavigator 7 for android...... How??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon MobileNavigator 7 for android...... How??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mickporter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Navigon MobileNavigator 7 for android...... How?? Reply with quote

I have installed this navigator onto my Galaxy S android phone. It works ok and the UK maps are displayed.

However according to the blurb on their website (I bought the full version), MobileNavigator should be able to be used in 'Real View' and also show lane by lane turnings etc....

Try as I might I cannot find anyway of setting these up. I do get a 3D view which when you press the zoom button appears to change into a 2d view? There are settings in the menus for speed settings, and some other stuff, but nowhere can I find a settings menu to choose a voice, change views, set options etc etc.

I have hunted for a manual without success. I emailed Navigon but even though I was promised a reply within 24 hours a week later still have not had a reply.

Are there any users out there who can help me. Send me instructions, tell me where to download a manual, tell me where to find a hammer to smash the thing?

PS..... When I installed the software onto the Galaxy I originally used the try me first. I then paid and got a serial number to activate it to the full system. Nothing appeared to alter when i did. Should I have uninstalled and installed something else?

Regards Mick P
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One difference I've read about the 'try-me' (demo?) version is that it only allows navigation within a single country, even if the maps cover several - don't know if there are any others.

There's no manual as yet, even for the iPhone version never mind Android.

I suggest you go onto Navigon's Facebook page (a link on their website), and put your problem there. If you are ever going to hear anything from Navigon it'll be there (but even that's not guaranteed!). The most likely response will be to ask you to "please send us an e-mail to facebook@navigon.com and we will contact you. ", so you could save a bit of time by putting the problem in an email as well anyway (best to do both though so that your complaint is 'public').

You may also find some other posts on there of interest, and other users may offer help as well.
mickporter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice thanks for that. Will give it a whizz.

Seems odd though that they sell a product without any at least quick guide. I am no stranger to Sat Navs, having used a Garmin Nuvi for some while and also used the Co-Pilot on a mobile. The co-pilot took a little working out but they do supply an idiots guide to its features on their website.

This Navigon is not as intuitive at all. It works....... however not as it shows on the website that it should work. There are no obvious menus to make the changes I need, or any help files etc. Which is why I am thinking perhaps I need to install a fresh or updated program.

If anyone does have a quick painless do this and do that, then please do post though. I will also try to do what you advised. Once I find the solution I will post that so that others can benefit from it too.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For guidance, I think the only thing at the moment is to check one of the latest 'native' satnav user guides, like the series 70 or the 8450 + the Live Services (all on the website under 'Customer Services'. The functionality is not identical but Navigoon (whoops - a typo, but it may not be totally inappropriate! Razz ) say the mobile system is broadly the same as their main range.
mickporter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Navigon MobileNavigator 7 for android. Reply with quote

Having now used the Navigon on my Galaxy S Android phone (without instructions) in the UK. I have discovered that it is really fairly simple to set up.

Just tell it whether you are using a car, bike or walking etc. Tell it whether you need to use Metric or imperial measurements, plus a few more simple settings and your ready to go.

I like to way that the road speed limits appear on the screen. They are not always accurate which obviously is due to the age of the maps, however on my testing it appears they are under the road speeds rather than over whenever that is the case. The quickly change to meet new speed limits as you approach houses etc. A warning sound 'Beware' is spoken whenever you exceed the speed or come close to a speed camera. A tiny symbol also appears next to the speed limit sign to show speed cameras.

Directions spoken give clear instructions, however sometimes these are said as keep left or bear left whenever a left turn is needed. You soon get used to these. Occasionally no instructions are given in places where some guidance would be helpful. However my Garmin Nuvi is also guilty of this. In these cases a glance at the screen usually shows the way to go either as lane markings or arrows, so its no big deal.

Touching the screen takes you from 3D to 2D view, which can be a bit disconcerting. The only way back to a 3D view is to touch the back arrow. This can take your eyes off the road!

When on a motorway a good lane image is shown, making it easy to navigate through junctions etc. When you approach most motorway junctions a Reality View takes over which shows a real view of road signs on the screen with clear arrows showing your route through these. Its really good. (I don't know why I get so excited about this cause of course you have the real things above your head!! But the lane markings of Navigon make your lane movements clear and obvious.)

The things I dont like are the lack of POI's. Most of those that are here are not as local as would interest me. I need to know where my nearest Tesco or ASDA's are etc. Where my nearest cash machine, or Burgerkings etc. Speed camera's do not appear to be placed onto the map (or at least I cannot see them when I look at a route). I would like to load in more UK based and local POI's however this does not appear as simple as on other navigator systems.

On the whole I think I have found a decent and reasonably priced SatNav system for my mobile.

I still would love to read some simple set up instructions, would love to install some uk POI's and upto date speed cameras. But the look and ease of the system make it definatly the most useable of all the mobile systems I have tried.

Mick Porter

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: