Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New W&C Europe Map on a 720
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New W&C Europe Map on a 720

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pieman1972
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: New W&C Europe Map on a 720 Reply with quote

Got the email from TT earlier saying "Yay - download new map"

I see in a link they sent : http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12306/?locale=en_GB

that they say you can put the whole map onto the card - but you have to transfer to the SDCard first.

I've done the backup from the Internal memory to my computer - so now ready to move.....

Has anybody done the move to SD Card following the instructions in the link above....to be fair I prob won't be goign all over Europe but it's the principle!

(Or will it make it so darn slow - we should stick to Western Zone on the Internal meomory - SD Card is a 4Gb Kingston Class 6).

Thanks all!
Paulius55
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just carried out this very procedure today on my 730 and it worked fine. I deleted the current map ok, having saved it first, then changed the device and reloaded the map onto the memory card, as described. The only difference is that the map would not update as described to the full European version. However, I simply went to Change Area, or what ever it is called, and the full map was now one of the options, as I had plenty of space on the memory card. I can see no difference in operational speed.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: New W&C Europe Map on a 720 Reply with quote

Pieman1972 wrote:

(Or will it make it so darn slow - we should stick to Western Zone on the Internal meomory - SD Card is a 4Gb Kingston Class 6).

Thanks all!

I have a 720 and I have Western Zone 8.50 installed on the internal memory and the full Western Europe 8.50 on a budget priced 4GB SDHC card (not a class 6 card). I did some tests on another thread calculating a route from Rochdale to Cambridge and the SDHC version was marginally slower, but that could have been the card - a class 6 might have been faster. But in normal use they are indistinguishable. I carry the card in case I venture into a country which is outside the Western Zone or, as has been reported on this forum, in case the internal memory on my 720 should fail
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note of caution here guys.

The TT link includes a link to their instructions on how to do a backup of your device with this description.....
Quote:
The easiest way to make a backup of all the contents of your TomTom device is by using TomTom HOME. You can make one backup per device and store it on your computer. When you make a new backup, the old backup for that device is overwritten.

The colour and bold is mine. You should bear in mind that you only have one backup copy using Home and if you happen to backup a dodgy device, you'll have a dodgy backup! Our recommendation in our FAQs (backup is so important that it's our number one) is to use Windows Explorer - that way you can make as many backup copies as you wish, giving each a date or other descriptive name to identify where you are at with that particular backup...
GO720 Out Of Box
GO720 2010-07-14 Pre New Map
GO720 2010-07-15 Map 850
.... and so on (I include model number because I happen to have five devices and in fact have backups of a further umpteen which I owned before the current ones!).

Oh, and if you carry a backup SD card, remember to copy the pgpsw speed cameras onto that too each time you download the updates.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Pieman1972
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i put in another thread last night - had an issue getting the full map down - archive was invalid - both wireless on a N link and wired.

The archive wouldn't open with 7Zip either.

Tried downloading the Western zone (1.2gb) and that came down fine.....

Like Dennis I have 4 or 5 backups - out the box / pre navcore 8.31 / maps 8.45 etc etc
dobson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this swap to an SDHC card this morning so that I could have the full map rather than the cut down zone. It was reasonably easy, apart from 2 things.

1/ When I followed the instructions to install the map on the SDHC card, I put on the latest version which I had upgraded to a few days ago, so I didn't get any map upgrade options. I had to delete the map I had just installed, and re-install an older version.

2/ The update keep failing due to a corrupt zip file. Following advice I found via Google, I just kept downloading until it worked. It was the 6th or 7th attempt which finally installed correctly. Luckily I could do this at work so each download took 15 - 20 minutes, had it been at home, it would have been an hour or so per download.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: