Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom - Third party POI alerts are no more
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom - Third party POI alerts are no more
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mini1400 wrote:
So Tom Tom aren't actually stoppig you from installing 3rd party POIs, just for them to make a noise when you're getting near them?

Personally I don't have my TT bleeping for every speed camera, so it's a bit of a non-issue for me..

They're not preventing you from installing 3rd party POIs, that will (for now at least) continue to be possible. But you will not be able to configure them to sound an alert Confused
mikeprytherch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Market Leaders can do what they like Reply with quote

This is yet another clear move by the market leader, they feel they are dominant and can do whatever they like, just like Apple I guess.

However TT are playing a very strange game, paid for Sat Nav systems market will decrease, instead of removing functionality they need to be adding functionality to differeniate themselves from the freebies, unless they change this approach this will be the death of TT as market leader.
willis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have three tomtom's - one in each car (me and the mrs) and one on my motorbike - all using PGPSW speed camera database.

Personally all I want in a satnav is A-B directions and (accurate = PGPSW database) speedcamera warnings.

If tomtom insist on removing this functionality from their units I will not be buying their units again.
richkent
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"TomTom has stopped supporting 3rd party POI proximity warning sounds in speed camera products."

I thought I'd bought a satellite navigation device, not a speed camera product. Rolling Eyes
UKSNAPPER
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Tom Tom Reply with quote

Tom Tom are clearly modelling their policies an Apples with strict terms of use and excluding third party software unless its bought through apple so they get a share of the dosh.
Unless there is a good technical reason I suspect they are just getting Greedy and anyone wanting to use third party add ons will simply buy alternative products
Cerocker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: TomTom POIs Reply with quote

Just as I can get a pirated copy of TT's maps if I wanted one, I'm sure somebody will write a software patch to enable non-TT POIs to be used on the new models and software upgraded older ones, so don't be dumping your TTs just yet.
speare
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: TomTom POIs Reply with quote

TomTom is at the end of its life. This company will go the way as the Dodo. They are making a big mistake in the board room and are scared of competition. Especially with Google offering GPS Navigation for FREE. Sorry TomTom but that is business. You do it your way and watch your customers do it their way. Never underestimate the Customer. He pays your salary and will show loyalty as much as you are loyal to them. Check out their stock market report. TOMTOM (Amsterdam: TOM2.AS / ISIN NL0000387058).
GPS world has done its best to communicate with this company. TomTom has not listened or given a satisfactory answer. They have underestimated the market and have no new innovations or solutions. Now we have a bad flavour about them. Remember Bad news travels like lightening.
Ross-the-Rhodesian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: POI and TomTom Reply with quote

I noted from an Institute of Advanced Motorist's article - I would recommend it to anyone, particularly the 20% insurance discount - that many European countries require you to turn off your POI for their country, as getting speed camera alerts is illegal. Is TomTom taking this into account, if they provide an automatic switch for European travel they will score in the end? Not sure where you get a list of countries where speed camera alerts / speed warnings are illegal but I'll do it before my next trip.

Can someone find out where current POI rules for Europe is posted?

Regards, Ross-the-Rhodesian
Larok
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you still have your apple customers. Perhaps you will have to charge them the same your charging your tomtom customers now.

Last edited by Larok on Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richkent wrote:
"TomTom has stopped supporting 3rd party POI proximity warning sounds in speed camera products."

I thought I'd bought a satellite navigation device, not a speed camera product. Rolling Eyes

And your point is?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: POI and TomTom Reply with quote

Ross-the-Rhodesian wrote:
I noted from an Institute of Advanced Motorist's article - I would recommend it to anyone, particularly the 20% insurance discount - that many European countries require you to turn off your POI for their country, as getting speed camera alerts is illegal. Is TomTom taking this into account, if they provide an automatic switch for European travel they will score in the end? Not sure where you get a list of countries where speed camera alerts / speed warnings are illegal but I'll do it before my next trip.

Can someone find out where current POI rules for Europe is posted?

Regards, Ross-the-Rhodesian

That was a rather ill informed piece from the IoM (and I'm a member). A small number forbid their use, a smaller number still actively enforce that rule.

There is no concise list and even in those countries that allegedly forbid it seem confused, in Germany for example it is far from clear what the true position is!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larok wrote:
Well, you still have your apple customers. Perhaps you will have to charge them the same your charging your tomtom customers now.

Eh? We charge the same regardless of platform, always have done Confused
Andy_d
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom tom have lost yet another long term customer.
been using it for the last too many years on various WM platforms, the last one it appears is the one i have now, i certainly will not purchase there product with the removal of this saftey feature.

To have a Audio warning that theres a accident blackspot ahead when driving ,be that a red light camera or speed camera , is a Lot safer than having to look at a screen to see some small tiny icon.

Way to go tomtom, shoot saftey in the foot for the sake of ??what being as short sighted and stupid as apple.

and if the "I" in iphone Does stand for idiot, ,,guess the "T"'s in tomtom must stand for "TwiTs" as thats Certainly one of the dumbest corporate moves ive seen in years.
CDK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never liked TT anyway.

I prefer Garmin and am on my fourth one....

Smile
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: No more TomTom for me then Reply with quote

That's the final nail in the coffin for my relationship with TomTom. I've tried other products but never wavered from TT since my first purchase in the early days of satnav. Currently have a TT One as well as TT Nav 7 on an XDA Guide.

I'm about to buy an iPhone and was planning to put TomTom on it but will switch to an equivalent - Sygix probably, having been very impressed with their support in recent weeks in response to my pre-purchase enquiries.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: