Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom - Third party POI alerts are no more
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom - Third party POI alerts are no more
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. I'm not going to try to justify TT routing algorithms when it comes to professional drivers trying to earn a living on tight margins. They must get the best routing and information they can find. But for the technically unsophisticated recreational user there does seem to be a market for the simple device, even if it takes them 90 miles out of their way, and gives them no other information than when to turn.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
stanwhite_snr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Anti-competition Reply with quote

Microsoft fell foul of the EU when it came to Internet Explorer. Not only were they forced to allow other software (Firefox, Netscape, etc) to work with Windows, they were forced to offer a browser choice.

There seems a very strong legal precedent set.

Now TomTom wish to block third party POIs? I don't think they will get away with it. Darren, I think you could have some fun... :-)

Regards,

Stan.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that TT have in their favour is that of the many thousands of owners and future owners only a small percentage are aware of third party databases like this one.

I certainly would never buy a new locked down TT but many will and many will suffer at the hands of the inferior and apparently inaccurate TT camera database.

I bet this decision was based on support calls where implementing/installing TP POI's has resulted in extra headaches for TT.

Given the fact that TT often allow the staff here to test new models I'm surprised they don't allow this database to be installed under the 'approved' banner.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
carioca1000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please which options do we have for the same feature POI text messaging
alerts on the route in Smartphones (Iphone, etc.) and SatNav?

I live in Brazil and have a TT 740 and an Iphone.

I wish I could use the same feature on my Iphone with whatever database alerts I wish.

Regards,

Felipe
george57l
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom customer service Reply with quote

alanf wrote:
Although illogical and inaccurate, I think the customer service line they repeat gives an idea where TomTom are coming from.

It's not about their revenue selling camera data, to be awkward or directly to reduce the functionality. It's actually about the cost of support. Margins on sat nav must be relatively tight given that the headline price includes retail margins, licensed map data and hardware that they pay an increasing number of USD for out of EUR revenue.

In short they are looking to cut costs. Paying customer service to talk thousands of technically naive users through setting up the units is just not covered by the margins they make. So the practical route is to turn the units into appliances, you cannot customise them any more than you would a washing machine.

You've nailed it there. No doubt. But the shame is that before they started adding features and issuing a new model every few months, the basic TT did both - it was an appliance and its guts could be messed wtih if you wanted. I have a very old Go (can't even remember if it is 500 or 520 - let's say 520) which in its out of the box state my aged technophobic ancestors could use almost intuitively (the "appliance" model) without any technical support ever needed. The same device has been heavily customised to meet my needs, with a wide range of POIs (I've also customised the menu structure/organisation). That TT believe it is not possible to offer customer support to anything other than a locked-down appliance and still make money shows the lack of imagination to say nothing of business acumen which they have time and time again proven to us all. It is NOT beyond the wit of man to produce a device that not only idiots can use but which is idiotproof, whilst at the same time allowing "super users" to customise. Technical support could consist of "1. Make a backup. 2. Where needed, here are the instructions for resetting your unit to factory settings. 3. For everything else here are some useful website links. 4. Oh, and here's the free and open SDK" And if idiot-type customers think this a tad churlish, offer them a £50 a year sub to an email support team. And drop the device price even more because you no longer need to provide ANY tech support.
Slot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often visit this site to download the latest speed cameras & read through some of the forums.
I have just sold my Tomtom One XL to a friend after 2 years of no speed fines thanks to this site & the excellent camera data base.
My Tomtom before that was the basic one which my daughter is still using.

Luckily I read this post about Tomtom stopping 3rd party sounds etc. as I was about to buy a Tomtom XL IQ Version 2.

I have now bought a Tomtom XL IQ & to my surprise was allowed to update the latest maps via Tomtom home for free, considering this unit has been out for about a year I was expecting to pay for the latest updates.

I have put on Mullet`s (Susan TTS siren Speedzoned) voices.
Set up the speed icons & the latest speed camera data base.
Today I tested on the road & all works well.

If I had of bought the Tomtom XL IQ version 2 I would of been really peeved but would of set up using this link from an earlier post http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=136159
There is always a work around & I have read all the fores & against.

I still think Tomtom are the best at what they do & thanks to all that have inadvertently contributed to me making this decision.

Regards Slot
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had a communication from TomTom in which they asked me to publicise the following message:
Quote:
“TomTom is currently working on a software update for TomTom XL IQR2 to enable 3rd party POI proximity warning sounds. TomTom will update further on the exact timing”

This is an unexpected development but one we naturally welcome wholeheartedly.

There is no other information and so we can only hope that this represents a change of mind at TomTom and that they will continue to support third party POI alerts in the long term.
george57l
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting indeed. When they post this software update, will you be pressing them for a firm statement re future direction/strategy on this matter? After all they have rattled a few peoples' confidence, and appear to be making a u-turn - it is in their interests to make a clear and unambiguous statement (but TT do not always act in their own best interests, do they) ;-)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

george57l wrote:
Very interesting indeed. When they post this software update, will you be pressing them for a firm statement re future direction/strategy on this matter?

We will certainly seek a comment on this U-Turn and if this does indicate a change of heart as regards future policy for POIs and alerts.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the XL IQR2? What about the new 1000 I wonder?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Just the XL IQR2? What about the new 1000 I wonder?

As that is as yet unreleased there is little point speculating about what will/will not be supported on it .... yet Wink
logley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly question, but any ideas when this update will arrive, are we talking weeks/months?

I only ask as I've just bought an XL2, and want safety camera POIS (as have used them in the past with a previous TT), but would prefer to wait so I can use yours instead of TT's
FX02
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone had any joy with the instructions in this link http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=136159
I have foolishly bought the new IQ2, but cannot get the instructions in the above link to work.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FX02 wrote:
Has anyone had any joy with the instructions in this link http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=136159
I have foolishly bought the new IQ2, but cannot get the instructions in the above link to work.

You have to create a new folder in the root drive of your device and use the exact folder name (with upper and lower case):

SdkRegistry

Then you place the TomTom.mnu into that folder and restart your TT after disconnecting it from your pc via the Safely Remove Hardware Icon.

I have no idea if it will work, but try my menu for the TT ONE v4 HERE

Even if it does not work you can see how the files are placed into the root drive.

You can disable the menu at any time by renaming the TomTom.mnu file or deleting it. The next time you then start your TT it will go back to the original default menu.
Vivaro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: TT 3rd party POI's Reply with quote

I have a problem!!
For years on my old TT1 and newer TT720 I have run your Camers poi's with no problem.
The new TT Central European maps are to big for my 2 gig internal memory,

I have bought and installed a new Hi spec 4 gig SD card and as directed by TT put the maps on there, everything is working just fine

EXCEPT your camera allerts, there is no directory to open as before to copy the camera poi's. I have copied them onto the new card but they do not work , what am I doing wrong ,
or is this something to do with TT around with 3rd party poi's
Help please

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: