Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Custom POI's - The Official Navigon Way
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Custom POI's - The Official Navigon Way

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Custom POI's - The Official Navigon Way Reply with quote

Navigon software versions 7.6 (70 and 40 range atm) and above have a feature that Navigon have not advertised very well.

Create a 'mypois' folder on the internal memory of the device, within the Navigon folder.

Copy over your CSV and bmp files

Reboot the device

You should see your POI's being imported into the device.

There is a import limit and I know it won't take the full PGPSW database, however if you trust the built in data for fixed cameras you can easily import all the mobile camera.
However it's not possible to set warnings to the POI's so the PGPSW database may not be the best use, but certainly good for POI download files from the net such as camping sites which are not covered by Navteq's own POI database.

I believe that eventually POI management will be integrated into Fresh.

Odd to see that Navigon are adding this feature, just as it seems TomTom are locking down their units and stopping POI's other than ones through TomTom
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent stuff - do you know what format the csv's need to be in? is it the standard: longitude, latitude, name? or are they like garmin with a 4th column?

MaFt
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the exact format off the top of my head, I'll double check and report back.
From the ones I tested Navman CSV formatted files seemed to work fine. Best of all the icon's and POI's are all fully integrated into the device.
I don't believe I have broken any NDA's as the devices are shipping now Smile
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new version of POI Warner will also work much better with MN7.6, though it's still waiting on being translated into English
http://www.navigating.de/cms/index.php?id=5655
It looks like this will add the ability to have alert sounds.

Navigating.de don't seem to be in any hurry to translate the program into English Sad
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
excellent stuff - do you know what format the csv's need to be in? is it the standard: longitude, latitude, name? or are they like garmin with a 4th column?

MaFt

Have imported Navman and Garmin formatted CSV files and both types appeared to import fine Smile
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the POIs display on the map?
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Do the POIs display on the map?

Maybe Smile
Skintdad678
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jonandmarkuk,
I have just recieved my 70 Live and would like to make sure I am getting the pgpsw camera database files on to the device the correct way.
Within Fresh, there is now the ability to use POI-Assistant (.csv) to export POI files to the device.
Your earlier suggestion is to use the Navman CSV file - I imagine I just put it into the Fresh POI-Assistant (.csv) input box and copy to device, so I feel OK up until now.
Your earlier post stated that it is not possible to get warnings for the POI though - is this still the case as I cannot see anything in the menu system/Fresh to allow this.
Thanks,
Trevor
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skintdad678 wrote:
Hi jonandmarkuk,
I have just recieved my 70 Live and would like to make sure I am getting the pgpsw camera database files on to the device the correct way.
Within Fresh, there is now the ability to use POI-Assistant (.csv) to export POI files to the device.
Your earlier suggestion is to use the Navman CSV file - I imagine I just put it into the Fresh POI-Assistant (.csv) input box and copy to device, so I feel OK up until now.
Your earlier post stated that it is not possible to get warnings for the POI though - is this still the case as I cannot see anything in the menu system/Fresh to allow this.
Thanks,
Trevor

Unfortunately Trevor you are now ahead of me as I have never been able to test importing using Fresh as beta software is never recognised by Fresh.
Warnings are still not available and I just had a reply from Navigating.de about the PoiWarner software that would allow alerts and they say they still don't have a date for the English version of the software but it should be available before the end of the year. PoiWarner v4 looks far better than v3 and will hopefully fill the gaps with the built in POI's.
Main benefit of the latest version of Navigon is that the POI's are actually integrated into the map display Smile
I'm still pushing Navigon to add 'alerts' Smile
Skintdad678
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
many thanks for the quick reply. Looks like I will have to wait a while and in the meantime I will see how good the Navigon safety camera database is.

Pleased with the 70 Live in all other respects though - but I still cannot find the inbuilt second voice someone else says is on it!

Thanks again,
Trevor
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skintdad678 - if you don't find the Navigon cameras any good (I suspect they'll be reasonable in fact), from what jonandmarkuk says, you could load the PGPSW cameras simply by copying them over in the way he describes (probably all that Fresh does anyway). Even though you only get a visual warning on the map, if you didn't have too many POIs on the screen, it might attract your attention ok.

If loads of 'special purpose' POIs are also needed, like the whole PGPSW file, taking you over the 10K limit, or audible warnings ARE needed, then the new version of POI-Warner should certainly be well worth buying. I'm pretty sure I will be getting it - even though the current version has it's problems it's certainly been a godsend.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POST DELETED AS IT WAS UTTER Censored Embarassed

The only thing I really found (I think) is that the workaround about transferring POIs directly with Explorer instead of Fresh doesn't seem to make any difference - the 'You've reached the 10,000 limit so they won't all be loaded' message still appears, and it DOES seem to stop before everything is on. Gone back to Navigon for more ideas.

(FINAL!) UPDATE - Pretty helpful support person has now said
Quote:
unfortunately I don´t have good news for you. We´ve checked your request again and there seems to be no possibility to upload more than 10.000 POI´s due to risk of system crashes.

SO if there is a way, we're not likely to find it out from Navigon Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having used the POIs for a bit now, there are a couple of things I really like about them:

- with MyPOIs, the fact that the full address is generated by the system, so you don't have to include that in your data;

- with POIs generally, the fact that you can now have 3 different sets of 'fast-access' POI is very nice -

- the standard (fixed) Direct Help system of 4 POIs ';

- the user-defined set of 3 'POIs On Your Route' in the Status Bar;

- the user defined set of 3 'POIs Nearby' available with Direct Access;

So I can forget about Petrol, because that's in Direct Help, and I can have Hotels On My route, but Restaurants Nearby if I want, rather than having the same entries duplicated.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had an update from navigating.de that the english version of V4 of POI Warner should be available in the 1st or 2nd quarter of 2011.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this (in German), which might be of use if there's still anyone out there! It's a link on the pocketnavigation.de forum to a post about increasing the POI limit past the Navigon default - seems to suggest you can't believe everything Navigon support tells you ! Joker

Quote:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/4j88lxx

EDITED: paras deleted from original post - see below)

(Shorter post on same forum which seems to say everything!)
Quote:
one can lift the limitation easily, while one the file ApplikationSettings.xml
in the list/Navigon/settings with the editor opens and for "Maxpoints" looks,
then raise the value just as one likes. I have put the value on 35000
Protect before the file!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: