Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Are TomTom moving to a fully closed system?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Are TomTom moving to a fully closed system?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well TomTom have come through with an official response and it is bad news:

Quote:
TomTom Start2 and XL IQR2 still supports 3rd party POI, but TomTom has stopped supporting 3rd party POI proximity warning sounds in speed camera products. We do not comment on roadmaps or future products, but we continue to remain supportive of 3rd party developer content.

Make of that what you will but it seems clear that the removal of POI alerts in these new devices marks a change of heart by TomTom and all future new products will be similarly knobbled.

On the plus side, our colleagues over at GpsPasSion.com have discovered another work-around to re-enable the menus and get alert functionality.

Doubtless TomTom will work to close this loophole as they did previously but for now the HowTo can be read in full here.

We'd appreciate feedback on this, does it work etc.
Roydaboy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren,

As you can see from my sig, I've been using TTN on my Axim x50 for donkeys years. The poor old Axim after years of sterling work is finally begining to show it's age and I was thinking of getting a dedicated Tom Tom. However this whole episode throws a spanner in the works. I've just been on the Halfrauds website and they list 23 TT devices or packages.

From this, there seem to be plenty of stock of older models available which are not affected ?
I make it,
Tom Tom One (and it's variants)
Tom Tom XL (and it's variants)
Tom Tom XXL ---- my preference
and the various GO models

Am I right in this assumption.

I am thinking that if I bought one e.g. the XXL and Tom Tom subsequently changed it's capabilities via an update, then the you could demmand a refund as the device is no longer "Fit for purpose"

Or am I just wasting my time and wonga and should go and get a garmin etc instead?

Damn it, I'm just not sure which way to jump now !!

Many thanks for any advice or comments.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long as you avoid the afflicted models (START, XL IQ2 and XL IQ2 Live and any new additions) then you will be fine.

It is highly unlikely that they would knobble existing models via an update.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the interesting bits of that post which seems not to ring true is
Quote:
.... but it stopped working on the ........We asked TomTom about that and were told that this was not intentional...anyway here is a way to overcome this :

Hmm Shocked
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
One of the interesting bits of that post which seems not to ring true is
Quote:
.... but it stopped working on the ........We asked TomTom about that and were told that this was not intentional...anyway here is a way to overcome this :

Hmm Shocked

The GpsPasSion post? Well it's not unusual for TomTom's Left hand not to know what the Right hand is doing Confused
misterfish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got a reply from TomTom basically reiterating what they told Darren - the basic models with cut down abilities but the more expensive ones fully configurable. Also as the Webkit based model is still being developed they can give no information about future (potential) models.

So it looks like the expensive ones will be the way to go!

Misterfish
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

misterfish wrote:
I finally got a reply from TomTom basically reiterating what they told Darren - the basic models with cut down abilities but the more expensive ones fully configurable. Also as the Webkit based model is still being developed they can give no information about future (potential) models.

Not our understanding. The situation as we have been told is that ALL future new releases will no longer support POI Alerts for third party data.
Roydaboy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren,

Thanks for the swift reply.

Will see about getting an XXL.

Cheers
Roydaboy
fujitsusteve
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply from Tom Tom Reply with quote

Below is the reply I recieved from Tom Tom

Firstly, may I apologise for the delay in response in this case, I can see that the system had lost the case and it was stuck in limbo until you updated it, I am sorry about this.

To answer your questions, the XL IQR2 does not have many of the functions that the older devices had, the reason being that we wanted to make this device simpler to use for our newer customers. POI Categories cannot be created or manipulated on this device, and you may not be able to use 3rd Party POI's.

The Speed Cameras should have been offered to you when you first connected to Home, however I have now added 14 days in which you can download the latest Cameras. You are not restricted to trying to use 3rd party Speed Cameras, however I cannot guarantee their success. There is no way to change the warning sound for the cameras.

Once again, I apologise for the delay in response, please let me know if you have any further questions as I will be happy to help.

With Kind Regards,

Timothy B

The TomTom Customer Care Team
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Reply from Tom Tom Reply with quote

fujitsusteve wrote:
the reason being that we wanted to make this device simpler to use for our newer customers.

A statement completely opposite to that provided in their official response to our enquiries!
fujitsusteve
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Workaround sucess Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Well TomTom have come through with an official response and it is bad news:

Quote:
TomTom Start2 and XL IQR2 still supports 3rd party POI, but TomTom has stopped supporting 3rd party POI proximity warning sounds in speed camera products. We do not comment on roadmaps or future products, but we continue to remain supportive of 3rd party developer content.

Make of that what you will but it seems clear that the removal of POI alerts in these new devices marks a change of heart by TomTom and all future new products will be similarly knobbled.

On the plus side, our colleagues over at GpsPasSion.com have discovered another work-around to re-enable the menus and get alert functionality.

Doubtless TomTom will work to close this loophole as they did previously but for now the HowTo can be read in full here.

We'd appreciate feedback on this, does it work etc.

Thanks so much, the link on here to the workaround does work, it's also quite simple but just a little extra guidance, it says rename tomtom.txt to tomtom.mnu - I suggest you save as tomtom.mnu using the all files option so you don't end up with tomtom.mnu.txt

Also it asks you to copy a folder to the route of your tomtom, this file doesn't exist previously on the device - you are infact adding a new folder.

The device once restarted goes straight into the old menu system, the only slight issue is that it starts on the voices and images menu and you have to click done before you plan a route, the suggestion on the site is to change back to Tomtom default, I want to keep it in this new (older) state because you also have the option to change part of your route and actually see that you are heading to the right place before you set off.

Great news - it has made my device useable again and I will be able re subscribe to this speed camera database

Steve
andyt8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes TomTom are going the wrong direction with their restriction on 3rd party POI. Also their dumb interface with no override to Advanced mode or "classic interface" like windows offered in the control panel of XP.

Stopped me buying a new TomTom Start2 this afternoon in Halfords for my holiday tomorrow. Will stick with my rather old ONE.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: