Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Are TomTom moving to a fully closed system?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Are TomTom moving to a fully closed system?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

66Mustang wrote:
Even Pocket GPS World are guilty of this; Windows Mobile has all but disappeared from these pages - its iPhone all the way.

now come on. give me some GPS-related WIndows Mobile news of the last 12 months that you expected us to post...?! oh, wait, there's not been any...

we can only report on what there is. if navigation software manufacturers are targeting the iphone OS and Android OS then that's what we report on because that's what is happening.

should we forgo any other news and only report on an outdated OS that hardly anything happens with? do tech sites still report on news for windows vista? or have they moved to the latest OS? windows mobile is pretty much dead. and until windows phone is officially released and companies start developing on it then i doubt very much there will be any GPS-related windows phone news... once it's out, i can assure you any news-worthy happenings will be reported. will the iphone (and android) users then complain that 'all the news is about windows phone'? i doubt it, as the hatred only seems to be towards apple users these days...

rant over

MaFt
66Mustang
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy Tiger!

Sorry MaFt, I know nothing new gets released on WM any more, but are you telling me no updates of any sat nav software /mapping is released on WM?

I jumped off topic because I am so frustrated that the media in general (not you guys) make out that the iPhone is the world's first smartphone, and that Apple invented the 'app'. Symbian and WM paved the way for all this and Android. WP7 is just a me too, and will probably be largely ignored by software houses leaving the likes of the bedroom coders over at xda-developers to do anything. I wouldn't say that there is any hatred towards Apple users from me or anyone lese, I'm just mystified by their smugness and belief that seriously inferior (in terms of features) devices are great, and that once bought you can't do anything that isn't firat given the OK by Steve Jobs. Not even change the battery. Most iPhone users don't even know about WM, and probably are only slightly aware of Android.

Back on topic - I do have a point that the dropping of 3rd party POIs is just a progression of the technology into the mass market. It should (ought to) be buried in the OS somewhere though. Rotters.

I love WM...

Last edited by 66Mustang on Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
now come on. give me some GPS-related WIndows Mobile news of the last 12 months that you expected us to post...?! oh, wait, there's not been any...

oops, sorry, there was Bing Navigation (which I posted last month) that had a whopping ero responses to... Wink
66Mustang
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
MaFt wrote:

oops, sorry, there was Bing Navigation (which I posted last month) that had a whopping ero responses to... Wink

ha ha I know, I'm just bitter.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

66Mustang wrote:
I love WM...

i used to. now i'm stuck partway between the ease of use of iphone (which is the exact same thing we're 'fighting' against here with tomtom) and the openness of android. both have their pro's and con's but i DO like to be able to add anything i want to... perhaps if tomtom go down the locked-down route then there will soon be a Pwnage tool for tomtom! Laughing Out Loud

MaFt

ps: Pwnage tool is an app that facilitates jailbreaking the iphone os
66Mustang
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

ps: Pwnage tool is an app that facilitates jailbreaking the iphone os

...and the security problems that brings. WP7 looks like it will be much less open than WM too. Where will all the business class devices go for an OS?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

66Mustang wrote:
Where will all the business class devices go for an OS?

blackberry... yuck...!! Shocked Wink
fluke9
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G1LIW wrote:
fluke9 wrote:
As others have stated my next device won't be a Tomtom.

But what is a viable alternative ????

The problem is that TT are, regrettably, the de facto standard setting bunch when it comes to SatNav features that we want.

Co-Pilot is the cheapest alternative with the features we're used to, but their routing guidance can be somewhat naff to say the least, and the way they handle POI files is just plain annoying to me, at least - I trialled their last version, and I was about ready to launch it into orbit with the hellish number of alerts it threw at me - often every five metres for the majority of cameras, for pities sake!

iGo's a non starter for me, as you can only use it on the supplied 2 gig card; I carry well over 8 gigs on my card, and that's without SatNav software, so again, that's a non starter, given that the card slot is under the cover of my phone.

I've tried others as well, and settled back in January to NavMii, but that's got issues too - no directional warnings, CVS import for the one file only, and it can't take any other custom POI files in at this time (I've been badgering GeoLife on and off since then, rest assured!).

The problem does not appear to be the requirement - I think they al realise it's something they have to address and introduce, at least on some level - it's the development cost and the avoidance of treading on the patents that someone else may have in the process that's the issue.

We will, in any case, eventually see results: It's just a matter of time, I guess.

Sorry not to be abble to give you better news.

Thank you.
Map WCE 845.2645
iPhone 4S 3 (Contract)
========
Dave.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't this an ideal subject to be posted on Twitter & Facebook, many commercial companies are monitoring and changing business decisions based on posS to these sorts of communities?

It's not just end users that will be affected, companies have already developed their own POI's and they may also decide to switch supplier if things change.

I'm guessing there'll be a little noise and even if the devices are locked down TomTom Home will have an import option to all custom POI
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Bye Bye TomTom Reply with quote

You have just lost a potential customer TT. I have been considering buying a TomTom, not any longer. Alternatively, I was going to upgrade my Iphone and get the TomTom Cradle & Software. I can forget that idea too. Why? Because if I cant install PocketGPSWorld's camera database on it, I am simply not interested. I will find an alternative.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Go730, with a few 3rd party additions, is all I need from a SatNav so I have just future proofed my SatNav requirements for a few years by buying a refurbished GO and a couple of replacement batteries. By the time my present TomTom, my new (refubished) GO and the batteries all give up the ghost this saga should be resolved. TomTom, Garmin, Apple, Google, Nokia, Android, Symbian, et al shall have won or lost their battles and Very SmartPhones shall probably be the norm. Time shall tell!
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
Isn't this an ideal subject to be posted on Twitter & Facebook, many commercial companies are monitoring and changing business decisions based on posS to these sorts of communities?

It's not just end users that will be affected, companies have already developed their own POI's and they may also decide to switch supplier if things change.

I'm guessing there'll be a little noise and even if the devices are locked down TomTom Home will have an import option to all custom POI

Well, if you want to get the ball rolling on that, please go right ahead. I wouldn't touch either of those places if you paid me. Stephen Fry might eruditely use TWITter, but it doesn't mean I want to, and as for FB, the less said the better Twisted Evil
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:

We have already done so and will ensure we use every medium open to us if TomTom confirm this is a new policy.

I've spoken to TomTom's UK PR and they have promised a statement from them tomorrow.

G1LIW wrote:
Well, if you want to get the ball rolling on that, please go right ahead. I wouldn't touch either of those places if you paid me. Stephen Fry might eruditely use TWITter, but it doesn't mean I want to, and as for FB, the less said the better

You may not choose to use social media services and that is of course your choice. BUT millions do and they can and have proved to be a superb medium for spreading a message far and wide.

A Twitter/Facebook campaign can reach many wide ranging individuals, not just those who hang out on geek sites such as ours.

The point here is that there may be many users affected by this change that would not otherwise use/visit a forum. A large number of our subscribers never post in the forums or read our web-site and would otherwise be blissfully unaware of this issue were we not to publicise it elsewhere.
66Mustang
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:

A good point - I know Network Rail do just that so their engineers can find access points to the track. It has to be such a useful and universally used facility that it surely can't disappear completely.

From my days in product design, I know a lot of companies go for a Good, Better, Best product hierarchy. The 'Good' units are capable of everything the 'Best' units are, but it is locked out to give a price break.

MaFt wrote:
blackberry... yuck...!! Shocked Wink

Couldn't agree more!
devolution
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course there will still be support for 3rd party POI!

TomTom have announced that they are working on an App Store, and as others have said this will be in the form of a closed approval system like Apple and the iPhone.

This stops all the hundreds of community based uploads which go unchecked and installed through TomTom Home - ugly icons, incorrect data, and deliberate inaccuracies...

All PGPSW has to do is submit a free Camera Alert app for approval and it can then be downloaded and installed into the closed system. In fact such a method would mean an app which installs, and automatically puts all the voice alerts in without having to select each one manually and input a warning distance. An even better solution than the current methods, reducing errors and support tickets.

There will of course be the issue that such an app directly competes with TomTom's own offerings, such as the issues Apple initially had with allowing other Browser Apps to compete with its Safari Browser on the iPhone etc.

But this means if PGPSW are quick off the mark they could become a full affiliate and partner and completely replace the rubbish TomTom speed cameras and provide full, live and user updated data. This would then provide a powerful partnership in competition with other manufacturers, especially as TomTom agrees its business will suffer from the "free nav options" available and is also concentrating on getting it's OEM software into new cars...

I think TomTom are going to come out with something rather promising...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: