Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Copying SD card problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Copying SD card problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Copying SD card problem Reply with quote

My TT510 device only uses SD cards for its memory. I have in the past copied one card to another, by connecting the device to my PC and copy paste to the new card that I have in the card reader slot of the PC. Then I always have a spare card and have had no problems with this in the past.

I am trying to do this again as I have a new map but unlike before when I copy and paste the receiving card does not take on the TomTom name so although the files all get transferred they all go into a folder the computer creates on the card called TomTom(J) that's the ID of the TT device on my PC when I try the new card out the TT510 does not accept it.

Any ideas about what I am doing wrong? Tried a search without success.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could manually name the card by right clicking on it in Windows Explorer, then properties and type in the name. You could go to the TomTom and select all the files and folders and paste them to the new card.
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
You could manually name the card by right clicking on it in Windows Explorer, then properties and type in the name. You could go to the TomTom and select all the files and folders and paste them to the new card.

Tried exactly that it still does the same thing. There is something special about the TT identity because it displays a TT icon when you use Explore.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TomTom icon appears due to a file called "Autorun.inf" in the root folder that contains the line "icon=tomtom.ico".

Is your PC set to hide protected operating system files as this could hide some files you need to copy?. There should not be any hidden (by attribute) files.
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
The TomTom icon appears due to a file called "Autorun.inf" in the root folder that contains the line "icon=tomtom.ico".

Is your PC set to hide protected operating system files as this could hide some files you need to copy?. There should not be any hidden (by attribute) files.

Thanks for your help Mr T PC is set up to show hidden files and the Autorun.inf and tomtom.ico files were being copied OK. I have decided in the end that the problem is something to do with the SD card itself because by substituting another one instead everything works fine and I once again have my spare SD card that works in the TT.
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now tried the possibly faulty card in my camera and it woks OK there but the camera seems to create its own control files when the card is formatted. I suspect the fault may have been something to do with the root index system that's if there is one.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you Copy and Paste are you highligting all the files and folders in the root of the tomtom device and then selecting Copy?

If you are just highlighting the TomTom device before selecting copy then this may be causing your problem.

It's dificult to put this into words but you don't want to be copying the device "TomTom (J)" to your new card you want to be copying everything that is on the device (all the files and folders) to your new card.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your new card different to the ones you have used in the past? For example SDHC instead of SD or a higher memory capacity.

I'm not sure what the 510 supports but it may be a case that it only supports SD and not SDHC cards and could have an upper limit memory-wise.

The name and icon shown on the screen are more for the user and shouldn't have any effect on the TT reading the files on it. I've used cards without any of these identifying files just fine.

I'm also not sure what you are copying and where to. You should highlight all the files and folders from the root folder of the old card to the root folder of the new one. Re-reading your first post, it sounds like you have copied them into a new folder on the new card. Confused
Brodit ProClip mount
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried copying both ways e.g. Highlight all files then copy paste the way I do my normal regular backups, and copy Device neither worked but the files were on the card. The card is not brand new its been around for awhile and probably used in the TT before, its very definitely a normal SD card. Best to just put it down to one of those things I have a working duplicate card and one that works in the camera so everyone's happy.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricWB wrote:
its very definitely a normal SD card.
Does the Card have a high Read/Write spec?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
EricWB wrote:
its very definitely a normal SD card.
Does the Card have a high Read/Write spec?

No speed indicated its a Jessops one. As I have said it's almost certainly been used in the TT before but thinking about it I did have a problem trying to read one of my SD cards a few months ago and thought it maybe my card reader as I could download from it via my camera, so at a guess its the same card and its not very healthy.
Horatio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a lot of trouble with Windows copy and paste, even though I have 'show hidden files' enabled. In the end, I used XCOPY from the command line

e.g. XCOPY E:\*.* F:\ /s/d/c/y/h

If you're not fortunate enough to have two SD slots, you'll need to copy to a temporary directory and then swap cards.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: