Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is a complete restore possible?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is a complete restore possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
norrisg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Is a complete restore possible? Reply with quote

Yesterday my 930 decided to talk to me in Dutch. No apparent reason for this - just another of those things which makes owning a TT such a delight - but it seemed like a no-brainer to fix it. However, once setting it back to English, I found a numerous of other settings missing or wrong.

Having a recent full (i.e. Windows Explorer) backup, I thought I would then just restore everything. However, that has not restored the missing or wrong settings. I've tried this several times, using various combinations of the power button, Windows Eject, the reset button and Safely Remove Devices. It seems that something always causes it to decide that various settings (bluetooth, owner, map voice and others) need to be thrown away and reset to defaults.

Is there a procedure to actually fully restore a TT? Or do I just have to accept that the TT knows best, and I need to set everything up again?
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's weird......

A full Explorer restore should get things back to normal.

Try downloading and running the Clear flash tool from here:
http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6178/kw/clear%20flash/sno/1

Run it 3 times. Supposed to work when settings do not 'take'
norrisg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Clear flash Reply with quote

Given that the purpose of clear flash is to remove accumlated junk which causes there to be insufficient room on the internal flash drive to save new files, and that it is designed for the 510/710 devices, I'm reluctant to run it.

I have my map files on a separate SD card, so there's almost 4GB free internally, and mine's a 930, not an x10.

(Edit: changed 501 to 510.)
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dhn
Yes, a proper Explorer backup should put things right but only if norrisg is sure that the backup was made prior to the fault appearing.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
norrisg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm sure.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok norrisg
If I found myself in your position I would delete everything (or reformat) and then install the navcore once again (mine is Navcore 8.302).
Then put the map back on the device. I have done it in the past and its not difficult.
Its quite safe when one has a windows backup safely stored away.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Clear flash Reply with quote

norrisg wrote:
Given that the purpose of clear flash is to remove accumlated junk which causes there to be insufficient room on the internal flash drive to save new files, and that it is designed for the 510/710 devices, I'm reluctant to run it.

I'm sure you've probably read that on the TT website, but don't take that as gospel!
The clearflash utility has definitely been known to solve other problems in addition to the ones mentioned on the TT website and it is DEFINITELY of use for other models, not just the Go 510/710.

Give it a try, you won't do any harm.

Also, when you say "is there any way to do a complete restore" most people would think you meant a restore to factory settings (as it was "out of the box"), but what you want is a restore to just how it was before something changed; and the usual way to do that is to take an Explorer backup as already discusssed.

So the mystery here is why it isn't restoring to what you wanted.
norrisg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Clear flash Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
So the mystery here is why it isn't restoring to what you wanted.

Exactly. Using BeyondCompare I can see that all files match 100% (binary compare) immediately after restoring. However, after restarting the 930, a very small number of files differ. These are:

ttgo.bif (which I understand is always recreated on restart)
ttpnpd.log (which seem to grow forever and merely log device status)
settings.dat (which gets a lot smaller and is probably the critical file here)
clmdata (size stays the same and has a small change very near the start)

settings.dat shrinks from 4,391 bytes to 891 and is almost certainly where the missing/wrong settings are vanishing from.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Clear Flash utility addresses a memory area that Windows cannot see so a full format and re-install will not touch the area clear flash can fix, its nothing to do with the normal Flash memory that Windows can see, your choice as to whether you decide to download and use it, but given the circumstances I would take the advice to give it a try TBH - Mike

Edit to add the following question:

What is the boot loader version you have installed on the device, you will see this as a single line entry in the ttgo.bif file when you open it with Note Pad.
norrisg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The Clear Flash utility addresses a memory area that Windows cannot see so a full format and re-install will not touch the area clear flash can fix, its nothing to do with the normal Flash memory that Windows can see, your choice as to whether you decide to download and use it, but given the circumstances I would take the advice to give it a try TBH - Mike

Edit to add the following question:

What is the boot loader version you have installed on the device, you will see this as a single line entry in the ttgo.bif file when you open it with Note Pad.

I actually downloaded the Clearflash utility before I started this thread, but hadn't used it. I'll give it a try.

BootLoaderVersion=55120
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norrisg wrote:
BootLoaderVersion=55120

That looks about right for the device you have, I was just wondering if you had been "playing" with the device a little too much Very Happy Wink - Mike
norrisg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran clearflash once, no change (although it does generate the following ironic log file:

---|INFO: preforming a cleanup...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
---|INFO: Delete this file...
---|INFO: Finished.

Delete this file? No, I don't think you did or I wouldn't be reading this!)

I'll try running it a couple more times as has been suggested.
norrisg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Fixed by the look of things Reply with quote

This time, before allowing the TT to run normally, I disconnected it, set Home to *not* update automatically, reconnected the 930 and used "Operate my Go". This created a newsettings.dat file.

After disconnecting the 930 and allowing it to come up as normal (i.e. not connected to the computer), I have my settings back.

(BTW, newsettings.dat is not a new settings.dat: the internal format is entirely different, so you can't fake this file.)

So the "Operate my Go" kludge is good for more than just recovering from loops caused by mapsettings.cfg!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: