Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TMC aerial positioning for Traffic models.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TMC aerial positioning for Traffic models.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkMarkB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: TMC aerial positioning for Traffic models. Reply with quote

I was wondering if there is a prefered position for the TMC aerial used by the Traffic models of TomTom.

I am getting pretty good results (relatively quick signal lock) with the wire running straight up the middle of the screen and then turning left across the top.

The instructions say run it across the bottom of the screen and then up the side, but that puts the vertical section near the pillar and doesn't seem to work as well.

All ideas gratefully received.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "preferred" position is just wherever it works for you. I run mine across from bottom centre to bottom left, then vertically upwards, but a few inches away from the pillar. If you had the time to find and read every opinion here on this, you'd find exactly this sort of difference between us all. If it's not working too well, we always suggests trying a different layout. But ... If it ain't broke...... Wink

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Dennis - basically whatever seems to work for you.

The general rules are to keep a couple of inches away from any metal bodywork of the car and to have as much as possible of the aerial section (the bit between the far end and the small plastic bit on the cable) vertical on the windscreen.

It seems to vary from car to car. I got good results by sticking the far end in the top corner of the windscreen about an inch or so in from the A-pillar, running down to the bottom corner and then across to the TT. Try and keep the 'egg' as far away from the TT as you can if you have the serial TMC (not the usb one) as it has been known for the charging circuit in the TT to create interference that lessens the signal.
MarkMarkB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Andy,

would shielding the egg in the wire help perhaps? What does the egg do?

Mark
marcus29359
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: tmc Reply with quote

My tmc is moved from work vehicle to work vehicle and tends to just sit curled up underneath the tomtom and I get good traffic signal all the time.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: tmc Reply with quote

marcus29359 wrote:
My tmc is moved from work vehicle to work vehicle and tends to just sit curled up underneath the tomtom and I get good traffic signal all the time.

Not surprising when you live at the bottom of a large hill with an aerial on top of it transmitting the RDS signal on 105,4 - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: