Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom iPhone adds HD Traffic, Local Search & a free map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom iPhone adds HD Traffic, Local Search & a free map
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: TomTom iPhone adds HD Traffic, Local Search & a free map Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comTomTom's latest v1.3 update for iPhone is now available in the iTunes Appstore.

This update, available to existing customers and new, adds a number of features not least of which is HD Traffic and Google Local Search as previously seen on LIVE equipped TomTom PNDs.

The long awaited arrival of HD Traffic and Local Search will please many customers as the iPhone is an obvious platform for connected services.

HD Traffic updates are delivered automatically at three minute intervals and the traffic can be viewed both in the map browser and as a traffic bar on the map screen when a route has been plotted.

HD Traffic is a subscription service and costs £0.59/day, £4.99/month, £11.49/quarter or £37.99 per year.

Other features released in v1.3 are Google Local Search which allows you to look up points of interest and calculate routes in just a few clicks, pinch and zoom, an automatic day/night mode and music fading.

The music fading option gives the user comprehensive control over the volume of iPod music being played whilst navigation is running. You can control the volume of the music independently of the voice guidance and music gently fades out and in as navigation directions are played.

TomTom iPhone costs £54.99 for UK/RoI and £59.99 for Western Europe. For more information see www.tomtom.com/tomtom-app.

Version 1.3 even comes with a free map update which makes it rather good value!

Last edited by Darren on Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Chrisnetx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovin' it so far! Laughing The map has also been upgraded to the current 8.45 version. The only issue I foresee is incurring charges when roaming, but I guess this is a question best asked to your network provider.
hailstorm
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really happy with this update. Aside from custom POIs it now does everything I need.

Does it automatically reroute around traffic jams? I haven't had much of a chance to test out the traffic just yet but I didn't see an option in the settings.
nashmills
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't seem to automatically re-route which is a shame. I tried it yesterday and had to go to: "Menu/Route Options/Minimise Delays" which is awkward not to say dangerous whilst driving.
Chrisnetx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nashmills wrote:
It doesn't seem to automatically re-route which is a shame. I tried it yesterday and had to go to: "Menu/Route Options/Minimise Delays" which is awkward not to say dangerous whilst driving.

In theory though you could do this before you set off Cool But yeah I'm a little surprised at this too.
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedestrian mode still broken. Absolutely useless when I put it to the test in Holland and France this weekend. Fell back on Google Maps, despite the roaming charges, which continues to track location perfectly where Tomtom can't.
zebsogo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Yet again Price Extortionate Reply with quote

Yet again TomTom pricing is extortionate. £40 PER YEAR for traffic !!!. I'm really happy with Navigon for iPhone £19 one off payment for traffic no yearly charges and it works really well. TomTom yet again over pricing their overblown APP

Chrisnetx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet again Price Extortionate Reply with quote

zebsogo wrote:
Yet again TomTom pricing is extortionate. £40 PER YEAR for traffic !!!. I'm really happy with Navigon for iPhone £19 one off payment for traffic no yearly charges and it works really well. TomTom yet again over pricing their overblown APP
It works out at little more than £3 per month, hardly extortionate, particularly as that's less than the monthly equivalent and half the price of the monthly sub on the PND devices Wink
zebsogo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet again Price Extortionate Reply with quote

Yeah right but you are paying for it every year which is cheeky. if other applications can charge one off fees (and alot less). why not tomtom still in my opinion Extortionate

SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nashmills wrote:
It doesn't seem to automatically re-route which is a shame.

Strange, as I was getting voice messages that it was taking the best route.

Does it advise when there's a quicker route, but not take it?

I also think it's expensive, but you're paying for a quality solution.

Navigon's traffic rerouting took me on a crazy route through Central London.
hailstorm
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site admin for gpsreview is saying that it will reroute automatically if there is bad traffic on your route.

http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=18148

As for pricing, I would bet Navigon are making a loss on their traffic service with that one off fee.

£38 for the year is slightly less than half the cost I was paying for traffic on my 540. Seems good value to me. I guess you got to weigh it up as to how reliable it is and how much time it helps you save in the year.

Last edited by hailstorm on Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sportiva
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding automatic re-routing it doesn't work. Today I was on M40 outside London and I saw slow traffic up-ahead but I wasn't promoted for faster alternative route. Only after manually going to route options and choosing minimize delays (or something like that) I was re-routed.

Regarding the pricing if the HD Traffic would work on TT iPhone I wouldn't have major complaints apart from fact that HD traffic is not widely available. Outside HD traffic area you should get the TMC data.

All in all TT Trafic on iPhone in its current form is nearly useless. Manual re-routing is just very counter intuitive and potentially dangerous. The only positive part of my iPhone HD Traffic experience was that I had to subscribe for one day only... If I had payed for one year I would've been boiling Evil or Very Mad
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hailstorm wrote:
As for pricing, I would bet Navigon are making a loss on their traffic service with that one off fee.

Impossible to say without knowing the infrastructure and programming cost versus the uptake. I'm not convinced they're making a loss. I'm certain that TomTom are making a profit though! Laughing
hailstorm wrote:
£38 for the year is slightly less than half the cost I was paying for traffic on my 540. Seems good value to me. I guess you got to weigh it up as to how reliable it is and how much time it helps you save in the year.

With previous traffic systems I've managed to avoid a couple of major traffic incidents per year, which is worth close to £40 for me!

TrafficTV is also £40 a year. It doesn't have any integration, but is a really good standalone system.
sn00p
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the traffic on the way from Cambridge to Morden (Near South Wimbledon) and this new version seems to have completely screwed the routing, now it wants to take me around the M25 which is theoretically quicker if there is zero traffic, but in reality is never quicker (especially with all the road works around the M25). Prior versions would take me through London and across Tower Bridge, I'm not sure if this is a change to IQ routes or whether the traffic data is now causing it to do this routing, but even when I headed down the north circular it wanted to take me back onto the M25, everytime I avoided its instruction and headed the way I wanted to go, the time to destination decreased (and yes, my TomTom app is set to fastest route).

I did see a popup at the top of the screen once when it told me that I was not on the quickest route and did I want to reroute, a cross on the left and a tick on the right. I only saw this once though.

One other thing that irks me is the "prompt always" on toll roads, great option, but why the hell does it route for toll roads and then prompt after? It can take a fair amount of time to route and its all wasted if I want to avoid them. It should either prompt before it does a route calculation or they should provide a default option for prompting. I want it to prompt everytime, but 9 times out of 10 I want to avoid toll roads.
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sn00p wrote:
One other thing that irks me is the "prompt always" on toll roads, great option, but why the hell does it route for toll roads and then prompt after? It can take a fair amount of time to route and its all wasted if I want to avoid them. It should either prompt before it does a route calculation or they should provide a default option for prompting. I want it to prompt everytime, but 9 times out of 10 I want to avoid toll roads.

Surely it has to calculate the route to know it involves a toll road.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: