Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - finding/Changing name of TT backup file to make 2 copies
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

finding/Changing name of TT backup file to make 2 copies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: finding/Changing name of TT backup file to make 2 copies Reply with quote

I have 2 x Tom Tom 1, XL, Version 4, New edition, (4N00.005) I have used both in my camper, and I would like to share all the POIs across both of them.

Home only sees 1 of them so I need to do it with Explorer somehow, but my brain seems to have gone on holiday Sad .

Can someone tell me a foolproof way of getting all the Files needed from each of them onto both of them and also a SD card.

Also Tom Tom help gives the following instructions to format a SD card for use, do I really need to do this or is there a better/different way

##########################################################
Initialising memory cards

If you want to use a new or empty memory card with TomTom HOME, it needs to be initialised so that HOME can detect it. To initialise your card, do the following:

Personal navigation devices eg. GO
1. Connect your navigation device to HOME without the memory card inserted.
2. Make a backup of your device.
3. Disconnect your device.
4. Insert the memory card into your device and then connect the device to your computer.
##########################################################

I know this is probably a very simple procedure, but I have a LOT of hard earned info in these POIs and would be lost without them, but I can't seem to get my head around it.

I need to end up with all the POI on both devices and on the SD card, a back up on the PC would also be handy, but I can just copy from the SD for that I assume.

I think I've explained my problem, but if not please ask for more info.

Ta Kev.

PS edited to add, the POI category names are the same on both devices in case that makes it difficult to do the above.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless i've mis-understood...

Make a folder on the PC and copy all the POI files there with their BMP files.

Then connect each TT in turn and copy the contents to the map folder on each unit. You don't need to use TT Home just copy and paste with Windows Explorer.

The you'll have a copy on each unit and backup on the PC.
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul,

I knew I'd left it a little too ambiguous, but your reply has helped me to clarify.

I should have added that I'd like to use the SD card to run in case of software problems on the devices.

Doesn't the same POI category names cause a problem, won't explorer ask if I want to overwrite the files.

Kev.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, get a Windows backup of each unit. See #1 in the TomTom FAQ.

Then, if you have POI sets of the same name, the easiest way to have both on both units would be to rename one of them (just put a '1' at the end of the name) before copying them onto both. I would say to do this first so that you can at least use it.

Afterwards, something like POIEdit could merge the two files together to give one big file with both in (though you will probably have loads of duplicates and some editing to do).
Brodit ProClip mount
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How you deal with it depend on whether you want to keep the POI categories with the same names SEPARATE for each machine or you would prefer to TRY to keep them the same.

you only need to mess about changing the name of them if you want to keep them separate (i.e. with different entries in each).

I'm guessing you DON'T want to do that and would prefer them to both have ALL the details in them.

That's what I do quite a lot.....
And you DON'T want to use "Home" for any of this.

So first make your backups using Windows explorer as per the link above. You can make as many backups as you like so keep two separate folders on the PC, one for each machine. Call them "TomTom backups machine A" and "TomTom backups machine B" or whatever makes sense to you.

Then use POI edit to open one of the POI files from the first TomTom (File -- Open).
Then APPEND the same named POI category from the other machine (File -- Append).

You will now have a list with lots of duplicates (how many will depend on how large your files were).

Use POIEdit's "Find Duplicates" feature to show you a list of the doubles. You can then delete them one by one - unfortunately POIEdit doesn't seem to have a way to delete them all in one go (Maybe there's a similar program that does...)

This may take you some time the first time!

Now save the resultant file to your PC with whatever name you like (same or different) (File -- Save as...) and copy it back into the map folders of each machine.

Repeat for each POI category

From now on, as you use each machine and add the occasional new POI the POI files will slowly "drift apart" and you will need to repeat the above process once in a while (how often is up to you). As there will only be a few duplicates this time, the process will be a lot quicker.

----------------

As for saving everything onto a card for safety, you'll need one card for EACH machine as the maps will be locked to each one.

Just copy the entire contents of the XL to the SD card and it will boot from the card and use the data on it whenever it is inserted.

But remember if you start saving POIs while using the card they would get saved into the vesion of the map folder ON THE CARD, so would end up different from the ones on the internal memory.

If there's anything I haven't made clear enough, just ask again.
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply Andy_P, I did read it but then something came up, and I've only just remebered I'd had to look at it again to get my head around it.

Edited to add :-

OK, I've re-read it Andy, and it sort of makes sense, but I've been driving round the Yorkshire dales looking for suitable wild camping places, so my brain is not at it's best.

Andy_P wrote:
As for saving everything onto a card for safety, you'll need one card for EACH machine as the maps will be locked to each one.

But remember if you start saving POIs while using the card they would get saved into the version of the map folder ON THE CARD, so would end up different from the ones on the internal memory.

If there's anything I haven't made clear enough, just ask again.
I'll take you up on that Wink

I've obviously not done any of your suggestions yet as I've not had chance, however I did make a back up of the camper TT to a 2gb Kingston SD card, and put it into the Car TT, I found a couple of possible spots to camp today and saved them to the relevant POI category on the SD card, so please correct me if I'm wrong, I can now put the same SD card in to the camper TT and it should work as before, the car TT will have no knowledge of these new POIs and will just work as before with no SD card in it, but will revert back to the SD if I insert it again.

Andy_P wrote:
you'll need one card for EACH machine as the maps will be locked to each one.
seems odd to me, but it's probably because I'm not too technical Confused could you clarify why I need a separate card for EACH TT, as I assumed I could just move it from one to the other as I needed, I think I might abandon the need for having the same data on both TTs as it's not too much of a loss, the car one only has a few to move over so I might just make a note of the lat/long and just do it that way.

Is there any way to transfer data between card and device in either direction within the TT unit, or does it have to be done via explorer Question

I'm tying myself in knots here so I'll stop for now.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K13ehr wrote:
I did make a back up of the camper TT to a 2gb Kingston SD card, and put it into the Car TT, I found a couple of possible spots to camp today and saved them to the relevant POI category on the SD card, so please correct me if I'm wrong, I can now put the same SD card in to the camper TT and it should work as before

K13ehr wrote:
could you clarify why I need a separate card for EACH TT, as I assumed I could just move it from one to the other as I needed,

Well, if you've managed to do what you say in the first quote, I'm amazed. I've had it drilled into me ever since I started writing on these forums that the map was firmly locked to the MACHINE (unless you were using an ORIGINAL card with a map supplied on it) So you couldn't swap maps between two machines and you couldn't make a copy of an original SD card.

If I'm wrong on something as fundamental as that, I don't feel qualified to answer your remaining questions. So can anyone else step in and tell me how Kev has managed it?
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I did was connect the MH TT to the laptop, go into explorer, click the Tom Tom drive icon, made all the hidden files visible (I've had problems if I've not done that on other copying attempts, like backing up software CD/floppys) then I simply dragged the whole lot to the SD Card icon.

I only had one minor glitch in that the original Tom Tom SD card I nicked from the 300 at work was too small, so I used a Kingston 2gb one instead, put it into the other Tom tom from the car and it worked fine, all the wild camping spots were in the right poi cats, and I've added a couple more as said.

I suppose the only test left to do is to put the SD card into the MH device and see if it sees it correctly, I'd have done it already but as I'd not had any probs I assumed (I'll have to stop doing that) all was well, Now you have me worried Andy, Ta mate Wink I'll not sleep tonight now.

I suppose in my ignorance I didn't see any real problems and just treated it all as a few different drives and carried on accordingly.

Kev.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: