Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - newbie question: pocket pc and GPS with contour mapping?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

newbie question: pocket pc and GPS with contour mapping?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogerStenning
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: newbie question: pocket pc and GPS with contour mapping? Reply with quote

HI.

First post, and yes, I've done a search already, no joy, so here goes...

I'm probably asking for the moon here, but is there a pocket pc that can mate/interface with a gps receiver, that will not only allow me to perform in-car navigation, but also perform hand-held navigation while trekking as well (i.e., dual use)?

Ideally, the display on the pocket pc would be in colour, and would show contour mapping, as one might find on an OS map, for example.

The ability to use the pocket pc on the move to perform stylus-led waymark/points of interest making as well would be a damned handy bonus, if that's possible.

Any chancew someone knows the answer, if there is one?

Cheers in advance Wink
Flibb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/

This could do what you want. You load maps and the software from a PC to a pda. I use a standard pda and a bluetooth gps. The software uses 1:50,000 OS maps but there are 1:25,000 maps available for certain areas. The only downside with most pda's is the short battery life, but there are solutions for this.

This type of software is often referd to as topographical software,
Jon
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned, Memory-Map is one soltion and there are a handful of others that will fulfill your stated requirements, see our Topo reviews section here.
RogerStenning
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys 8)

I'll have a look over these, and get back to you if there are further questions (which there probably will be). Wink
RogerStenning
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okaaaaay...

Done a bit of reading, surfing, and research, and reckon that my beset bet will lie with the Navman 3450 with a Compaq iPAQ 5550.

Followup question: The memory Map site is none too clear on this (and their forums are so damned slow it's like they hang or something 8O ), so does anyone know if the MM software is compatible with the iPaq 5550 when mated to the Navman 3450? I know MM say that all iPaq models are suported, but the 5550 is rather new, so I'd like to be sure before laying out my hard-earned, if you catch my drift Wink

Cheers again for the help on these bone questions!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's compatible although if you intend using the combo for any length of time on batteries then the 55xx series is not the best choice, rather more power hungry than others, if you need WLAN look at the 4150, if not then the 2210.
RogerStenning
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I'll look into that.

Again, guys, thanks for the help and advice - it's very much appreciated :D
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 5550 isn't actually that new - it's one of the older models, and will probably be about the first to be replaced in the new generation of iPAQs that will probably start to become available in about three months' time.

If your application is for navigation, I'd forget about the 5550 - it has various features that just aren't needed. I'd also forget about the Navman 3450 - the expansion pack / sleeve format is likely to be dropped when the current 5150 and 5550 are discontinued in a few months' time.

A good setup for Memory Map and similar would probably be an iPAQ 2210 with a Bluetooth GPS (possibly a Fortuna Clip On - you have XT mode available if you're struggling for a signal). This should be fairly easy to ruggedise for outdoor use - you just need a small waterproof box for the GPS, which you can keep near the outside of your clothing (in or on your hat?). You'll also need some kind of waterproofing or ruggedisation for the iPAQ, but you can keep that under your waterproof jacket in bad weather.

David
RogerStenning
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
The 5550 isn't actually that new - it's one of the older models, and will probably be about the first to be replaced in the new generation of iPAQs that will probably start to become available in about three months' time.

Interesting. How do they figure their numbering system, then? It looks rather confused!

Quote:
If your application is for navigation, I'd forget about the 5550 - it has various features that just aren't needed. I'd also forget about the Navman 3450 - the expansion pack / sleeve format is likely to be dropped when the current 5150 and 5550 are discontinued in a few months' time.

That's disconcerting. Thanks for the heads-up. The iPaq won't be purely for navigation, anyhow. I'll be getting software to tie in with MS Access as well, for reports, scheduling etc, for work, as well as linking/synching wth Outlook and so on. It's not going to be just a nice plaything (although there *is* the posability factor, Laughing Out Loud), but used somewhat more properly as a PDA as well Wink

Quote:
A good setup for Memory Map and similar would probably be an iPAQ 2210 with a Bluetooth GPS (possibly a Fortuna Clip On - you have XT mode available if you're struggling for a signal). This should be fairly easy to ruggedise for outdoor use - you just need a small waterproof box for the GPS, which you can keep near the outside of your clothing (in or on your hat?). You'll also need some kind of waterproofing or ruggedisation for the iPAQ, but you can keep that under your waterproof jacket in bad weather.

Hmm. Interesting idea. I can probably get a decent aluminium case for the iPaq (HP make one) or, if that'll reduce the connectivity of Bluetooth (reduction of radiated/received RF), then one of those third party plastic covers will probably do. I'll agree that waterproofing is a must. Chances are something like a walkie-talkie bag will do the job in the field, anyhow. re the Bluetopth GPS, yeah. Interesting. Either in a webbing/vest pouch, or the top of a bergan, will probably do. Good thinking :D

Er.. what's XT mode?!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XT Mode is a feature that some newer SirF receivers support. Basically it uses poorer signals that would otherwise be ignored to assist in calculating a position. As a result it works in marginal areas where other non XT receivers would not be able to report a position at all. Downside is the additional processing sometimes results in a 1 sec or so delay in updating the position which isn't great in car but fine on foot.
RogerStenning
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool; that'll help when I'm trekking in woodland, then. Thanks.

Onto the numbering system for iPaqs, now. If the 5550 is an older model, how should I know which are the more modern (i.e. recent or new) models?

This is important, as I need to know that the model I get will be capable of running the more process intensive software (such as databases and, of course, the nav software), and will be supported by the manufacturer for at least three years, in case something goes... er... fubar... with it Confused

Oh yeah, and more to the point, will the Fortuna Clip On work with Memory map?
RogerStenning
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'Oh. Strike that last question - I notice DavidW answered that already.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iPAQ numbering system runs roughly in series.

1000 iPAQs are basic models

2000 iPAQs are small, fairly well featured and mid-range.

3000 iPAQs are the original iPAQs, all now discontinued.

4000 iPAQs are mid range machines with built in Wi-Fi

5000 iPAQs are the performance machines.

3000 and 5000 machines support the expansion pack / sleeve format.

So far as knowing what's new and what's not, you have to look at the various web sites - at the moment, 2210 is the oldest current model, and 4150/4350 the newest, with the rest somewhere in the middle.

The 5550 is the current performance model, but seems destined to be superseded in another 3 months or so by a new machine that will probably have a faster processor (624MHz as opposed to 400MHz) and a VGA screen (as opposed to quarter VGA).

David
RogerStenning
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
The iPAQ numbering system runs roughly in series.

1000 iPAQs are basic models
2000 iPAQs are small, fairly well featured and mid-range.3000 iPAQs are the original iPAQs, all now discontinued.
4000 iPAQs are mid range machines with built in Wi-Fi
5000 iPAQs are the performance machines.

OK, so not a 1xxx or 3xxx, then. Since I really don't need WiFi, not a 4xxx either. This leaves the 2xxx and 5xxx series. Thanks.

DavidW wrote:
3000 and 5000 machines support the expansion pack / sleeve format.

Hmm. Not a 2xxx, then, leaving the 5xxx again, by a process of elimination.

DavidW wrote:
So far as knowing what's new and what's not, you have to look at the various web sites - at the moment, 2210 is the oldest current model, and 4150/4350 the newest, with the rest somewhere in the middle.

OK...

DavidW wrote:
The 5550 is the current performance model, but seems destined to be superseded in another 3 months or so by a new machine that will probably have a faster processor (624MHz as opposed to 400MHz) and a VGA screen (as opposed to quarter VGA).

I'm not really bothered about screen size, and then there's the weight consideration - after all, who wants to lug a VGA sized monitor about in the boonies Wink

Looks like the 5550 may be the tool of choice, then. This said, ignoring the WiFi stuff, the 4xxx series look reasonably priced. The 4150, mentioned elsewhere in the thread, looks good to go for the choices/purposes I have in mind. Forgetting the sleeve compatibility issue for a moment, you mentioned expansion packs. Now I've looked around, and this is a little confusing to me. Do you mean the ability to take higher sized ram chips, or something else?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expansion Pack is the official name for what most people call a sleeve.

The 5550 also has Wi-Fi. If you don't need built in Wi-Fi and you're not going to bother with a sleeve / expansion pack, then the only significant advantage of the 5550 over the 2210 is that the 5550 has 128MB of RAM and the 2210 64MB. There are other minor differences - but most people are fine with 64MB of RAM so long as they have a large storage card.

The 2210 is smaller, lighter, and has a CompactFlash slot built in as well as an SDIO slot. It has built in Bluetooth, as does the 5550.

The purported specification for the iPAQ hx4700, which is supposedly the designation of the new top end machine, is a 4 inch VGA screen. The 5550 has a 3.8 inch QVGA screen. As you can see, the VGA screens are not going to be that much larger than the largest of the current QVGA Pocket PCs - they'll just be twice the resolution in each direction.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: