Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Operate my Go not working in Home
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Operate my Go not working in Home

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Operate my Go not working in Home Reply with quote

Rather more than a year ago I bought a refurbished Go 720. It works perfectly in all but one respect - when I try Operate my Go in TT Home is says that it is not available for my model. I tried the "fix" from their FAQ but it didn't work. I didn't bother to follow it up, but recently updated the map and lost all the POI warnings and favourites which were contained in mapsettings.cfg. I saw on this forum that I could have avoided the problem if I had been able to operate the Go from inside Home, so decided I would try to do something about it. I sent a question to TomTom Support, but they sent back a set of instructions which I had already tried from their FAQ. For the record, here they are:

STEP 1 Manually Delete the Emulator Files

- Open My Computer
- At the top, click on Tools - Folder Options
- Click on the View tab
- Select the Option 'Show Hidden files and folders' then click OK

- In My Computer go to the following folder:-

c:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\TomTom\HOME\Profiles\random string\extenstions

- Delete all the files and folders inside the 'Extensions' folder.

STEP 2 Connect to your device

- Connect your device to the computer and switch it on
- Open TomTom Home
- Click on the 'Operate My Go/One' icon
- TomTom Home will ask you to download a file, please go ahead and do this

The Operate My device feature should now be working.

I got back to them again and they referred it up to their second tier. The answer that came down from the clouds was that it might be fixed in a future application or a future version of Home. Hmmmmm.

Does anyone here have any ideas?

Robin

BTW I have no trouble Operating my TT One from within Home
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see from your sig you have a 720 and a One v3. Have you got separate email logins for each? If not this could be a problem.

I found that when I was using my One XL and 730, I needed to ensure that Home 'knew' which was connected in order to download stuff. Thinking back, it's something to do with selecting the right device which should happen when you swap them over.
Brodit ProClip mount
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I use different email addresses for each device.
Since posting the original query I have discovered something else. I had v8.350 installed on the device itself and 8.351 on a SDHC card. It is when using 8.351 that I get the error message. If I remove the card and just use the bare device, I can operate it using Home. I don't know if there is an important file missing or corrupt on my SDHC card version, which is what I normally use.
I am in the process of making an Explorer backup of what is on the device, then I will format it and copy the contents of my card onto the device. It will be interesting to see if I can operate my Go if the newer application/maps are on the device itself. I will post the results here
Robin
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a great deal of trouble I managed to install the latest application and maps to the internal drive of my 720. I tried deleting various voices, NL postcodes, custom cars etc, but the map was still a few MB too big. Then I saw on the forum that I could delete the cspeech files as the 720 does not support voice recognition. There was then ample space on the device.
Having done this I found that it would support Operate my Go. It still wouldn't work if the SDHC card was plugged in, even if I selected the internal drive when first connecting to TT Home. So the identical software (except for the removal of cspeech) works with Operate my Go if used from within the device, but not if from the SDHC card. Anyone got any idea why?
Robin
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home updates a specific file in order to work with the "operate my go" function, if you have an SD card inserted to the device loaded with Navcore the device will boot from that, without the card inserted it will boot from the Flash memory.

Home probably isn't clever enough to track two different Navcore versions on the same device so once its clocked up to work with 8,351 it won't see the older Navcore versions if the device boots using 8,350 or even earlier versions - Mike
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not quite my point Mike. I now have 8.351 and the latest maps on the device itself and also on the card. When the card is removed, Home is able to Operate my Go. When the card is present it won't.
When the card is in place, you have the chance when connecting to Home to select whether to use the device or the card. I can check whether it is using the version I specified because map corrections I have made are only present on the card. But if I choose device, Operate my Go will only work when the card is removed - the very presence of the card seems to stop the emulator working on the device
Robin
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the card inserted the device will boot from the card and ignore whats on the device in terms of the Navcore, if this is at a lower release than that Home is expecting it won't work.

Dual booting a device isn't without certain pitfalls, and to be honest I am rather surprised anyone that wants to do this has any reliance upon Home software at all, its not up to the simple task of regular backups so it certainly isn't smart enough to figure out a device can be using more than one Navcore depending upon whats inserted to the card reader slot on the PND - Mike
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it is worth, Robin, the 720 DOES support Voice Recognition.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info David (but there is no mention of voice recognition in the instruction booklet, or any relevant buttons in the menu!) But there is not room on the device itself for the latest version of Navcore and the 845 map of Western Europe - I only got it to fit by removing the cspeech files!
Robin

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: