Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Where can I get voice alarms for GO930 Camera POI warning
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Where can I get voice alarms for GO930 Camera POI warning
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nontechmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Where can I get voice alarms for GO930 Camera POI warning Reply with quote

I have just downloaded the Camera database for my new Go930. I now want to assign spoken warnings against each type of camera (rather than default bells and whistles that TT provide)

In the old days I used to run TTN5 on an IPAQ and got an updated data.chk file from here. But the look up table that tells you which data.chk file to download doesnt get upto the version numbers on my GO930 (8.351 (9982)) so I'm assuming things have changed.

Can anyone bring me upto date please.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends which Camera Database you're using, TT or PGPSW.

If it's TT's then I don't think there is anything you can do about it.

If it is the PGPSW Database then most answers are found on the TT Faqs Page.

You need to have a look at #5 and use the OGG File Method.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say... if you go via the FAQs page, the route to the information and the available files is rather tortuous! (I just tried it)

A much quicker route to both the voice files you need and the most up to date instructions is here:
Voice Alerts (TomTom Format) for the PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database

There are two methods, either you put the voice files in the map folder, or you put them in the "sounds" folder, both achieve the same result, just the set up is slightly different. I prefer the second method and the "sounds" folder.
nontechmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy,

Why do you prefer the sound folder method?

If you place the files in the sounds folder does TT automatically associate the right sound to the appropriate POI or do you have to manually select for each one. If the latter, did you rename the sound files to make name short enough to see it all? Do you also then have to rename the POI files so they align. What happens next time there is a POI update - do you have to go all thru the renaming exercise again? Does the method you choose (load into map folder or into sound folder) effect this?

I have a 930 with UK, Europe, USA and Canada maps. If I load all POIs for all 4 maps I have a seriously large number of Speed Camera POIs. Will this create a problem - I seem to remember with my earlier TT (Ver5) you could only have bout 30 POIs active. Again, does the method you chose (into map folder or into sound folder) effect this?

PS Is there any advantage in loading the POI files and/or the sound files into the TT Home folder on the PC and the using TT Home to load them into the TT device?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, lots of questions in one!

I'll try to answer them all...

nontechmike wrote:

Why do you prefer the sound folder method?

The "map folder" method uses an undocumented "feature" in the software that TomTom have never officially mentioned. Although it's unlikely, I feel TomTom *could* take it away on a software update - either deliberately or more likely by accident!
The "sounds" folder was added specifically for this sort of thing, so it just seems more sensible to me to do it "their way".

nontechmike wrote:
If you place the files in the sounds folder does TT automatically associate the right sound to the appropriate POI or do you have to manually select for each one.

You do have to actually select the file to use. Some people see that as a disadvantage (another step...) but at least it is logical.
Some people get terribly worried by the fact that with the other method, you have to follow the written instructions *rather* than follow what the menus on the TomTom are asking you.
Horses for courses.... both methods work.

nontechmike wrote:
If the latter, did you rename the sound files to make name short enough to see it all?

Not personally.
This is because I was actually the person who edited and compiled all the files to put on the PGPSW website, so while I was working on them they all had names like "SimonP2_40Fix" (meaning: the name, that it had a 'Polite 2' chime on the front and it was for a 40mph fixed camera). Otherwise all the different voice sets would have all had the same filenames and I would have got very confused!

So my sound files have always had better, more descriptive names. but PGPSW have kept the old names for copyright reasons and to match the camera file names for the OLD method.

If you do rename them, it's something you only ever have to do once; but don't forget that with this method, you CAN test/preview the sound before you select it, so you can check you've got the right one, and you soon work out the order that the TT has put them in.

nontechmike wrote:
Do you also then have to rename the POI files so they align.

No. Not if using the sounds folder method.
If you were using the map folder method you COULD change the camera file names to match, all they have to do is match, but you'd have to do it every time .

nontechmike wrote:
What happens next time there is a POI update - do you have to go all thru the renaming exercise again? Does the method you choose (load into map folder or into sound folder) effect this?

No. Whichever method you choose, whenever you update all you need to replace are the camera data files themselves (the .ov2 files) Everything else - the icons, the sound files and the set-up distances etc. can stay untouched.

nontechmike wrote:
I have a 930 with UK, Europe, USA and Canada maps. If I load all POIs for all 4 maps I have a seriously large number of Speed Camera POIs. Will this create a problem - I seem to remember with my earlier TT (Ver5) you could only have bout 30 POIs active. Again, does the method you chose (into map folder or into sound folder) effect this?

No. the limit of POI categories is now either 169 or 250 depending on model, but that is the limit PER MAP.
Also, you can avoid any slowing down of the map re-draws by keeping the total number of POI categories showing all the time to below 30 or 40. you can have a lot more (such as the cameras) only showing via the "warn when near" system, so they don't show on the "Browse map" screen.

nontechmike wrote:
PS Is there any advantage in loading the POI files and/or the sound files into the TT Home folder on the PC and the using TT Home to load them into the TT device?

None at all. In fact I would suggest you avoid using Home except when it is absolutely necessary (i.e. map updates and software updates) Don't use it for backups, POI updates, or anything else that you can do by simple "copy and paste" - then YOU are in control.
nontechmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy - I'm well impressed. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer and explain each one. I think I will follow your suggestion and put them in the sounds folder.

BTW, could I create folders (eg UK MPH, Eur KPH, pmobile) in the sound folder to speed up the subsequent selection process when linking to the appropriate POIs?

Thanks again.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nontechmike wrote:

BTW, could I create folders (eg UK MPH, Eur KPH, pmobile) in the sound folder to speed up the subsequent selection process when linking to the appropriate POIs?

Thanks again.

Yes, you can!

Here's a picture I took when I was first trying it, when I wanted to add the old "Polite" chimes back onto a system which had the the newer ones.

I've done the same with my camera voice files, but haven't got a picture of that.
nontechmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anything you dont know?? On second thoughts dont answer that - take a break instead. Many thanks.
nontechmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so there was another question...

Do you have to put both bmp files for each camera into TomTom?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you don't need to put them both in but its better if you do!

The file that ends x2 is used by the device for the symbol displayed top left of the screen and its larger in size which leads to a smoother outline to the circle, it also offers better definition of the camera type, if this x2 file is missing the device will simply use the smaller icon for the top left display.

The file that ends without the x2 is used to show the camera position on the road map in 3D or 2D mode, if this is missing the device will substitute a red square for the icon so this one is needed - Mike
nontechmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final question - hopefully....

I have now assigned voice warning to all speed cameras Very Happy

However, in my Sounds folder I can see 2 entries for every sound. They are shown on TomTom as:-
._gatso_90 and
gatso_90

(These are just examples; but every sound is "duplicated" in this way)

If I look at the internal TomTom drive with my computer I can only see one entry but when using TomTom device I can see both. Only the "gatso_90" version actually plays a sound. Any ideas on what is going on and how I can tidy up my folder by removing the "._gatso_90" version?
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use a Mac? There is some issue where files are copied over and the dot is automatically placed at the front of the file name. something like that.

Others here will be able to assist, I think.
nontechmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes - I do use an iMac
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a Mac, files with a dot are hidden files. See here

So, as I understand it, dot files are hidden in Apple (Unix based) but seen in TomTon (linux) so you are seeing duplicate files.
nontechmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea but when I tried this although I could see lots of .files all over the place I could not see any in the sounds folder. Also the unwanted files are prefixed with "._" not just "." but thanks for the suggestion. Any other ideas?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: