Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 845 maps out today
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

845 maps out today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mightyyid
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norm2002 wrote:
MrT wrote:
The POI warnings and display settings are stored in the mapsettings.cfg file. Most user settings with the exception of bluetooth and few other system settings are stored in this file.

Thanks. So that does mean that if the mapsettings.cfg file is lost, it will be necessary to set up all the camera distance warnings again? That's the really annoying thing, especially when you cannot check what your distance settings are.

And thanks for your Operate my Go suggestion. Done my update and it worked for me. Very Happy

Just some additional information for those who have tried this but when trying to click on Operate my Go, they get the error message that the combination of unit, map and navcore will not allow you to operate your unit. This is what I have.

To get around this (otherwise I get the unit rebooting and returning to the old mapsettings.cfg file thus lose all my speed camera warnings), I go to Manage my Device. In there I look at the items on my device (not those on my computer) and click on the favourites or POI folder. I then choose something I never use or can easily replace and choose to remove it. This has the same effect as the other - changing the mapsettings.cfg file and thus when you disconnect from TT home and the unit reboots, the old .cfg file is there and all your settings are restored.

Just in case you cannot operate your TT from TT home. I have a 720 by the way.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
It shouldn't put any cspeech files on the device as there is no hardware to support the functionality these files provide, speech recognition needs a microphone which none of the XL range have ever had fitted - Mike

We both know that but HOME seems to cram on as many cspeech files as will fit - I don't even have a ASR folder so I haven't a clue why it thinks I need them
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine took about 9 hours to download then told me I needed to remove 59Mb to make room for the new map. I removed all the cspeech files except the GB one.

It then said I had to remove 250Kb so I found 3 more cspeech files outside the map so I removed them as well and tried again. Now it said I had to remove 57 Mb.

Then I used add maps and it suggested I remove 3 unused files which turned out to be the UK and Netherlands post codes and a "Raster" folder.

After the map installed I removed the cspeech files from the new one and put the Raster folder back. And when I put the mapsettings file back I had the usual rebooting problem until I used operate my Go.

Does anyone know what the "Raster" folder is? It seems to contain a lot of satelite images which have no purpose.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raster is for the Images feature, when you are in map view and zoom REALLY far out, gives a satellite view of the ground below!

Steven

iPhone 12
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steven, I could see what they were but not their purpose
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there
I have never had any real trouble downloading and installing new maps or overcoming the mapsettings.cfg / favourites problem. However, I have never been able to retrieve my speed camera settings/warnings. I know that its not the end of the world and its just one of those things in life that I have come to accept. It only takes about 10 minuets to set the cameras up again but I still live in hopes that next time I install a new map the cameras/warnings will be present following my fiddling with the mapsettings.cfg file
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
moshchops27
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am able to install a map only by deleting the cspeech files and then it fits.

TT Support have advised to format the internal memory (I have an XL IQ) so far it is half way and has taken two hours!!

I then have to reset unit and download the map and application only before then replacing the voices etc.

I think it will end up going in for repair. The objectives of TT Home seem good - however it really seems to screw things up!! One should not have to manually install things to make them work!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get back on the phone to TomTom Support and ask them why the hell you have to delete files that are associated with voice recognition when the map file is being installed to a device that has no microphone and cannot ever support their useless "Advanced Speech Recognition"

Has your device ever been sent back to TomTom for a repair as the only time I have seen the XL IQ units behave this way is when TomTom have loaded the wrong map to a customer device following repairs, this puts the CSpeech files on the device so Home stupidly thinks its a device with ASR and loads the wrong file set.

Get back on the phone to them in the morning (0845 161 0009) and read out what I have posted, if they blank that ask for second line support and read out what I have posted to them - the penny might drop (although these days I somewhat doubt it) - Mike
moshchops27
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Many thanks for your advice. It has been in for repair and after checking my manual back up I notices that this is when the cspeech files were added!!!!

I,ve not been on the phone to them and have done it all in writing (have a record then!) . Anyway I have raised that issue you highlighted and politely demanded they fix it instead of bothering to offer anymore inadequate advice!!

Watch this space!

Thanks

T
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a rather stupid mistake they have made when the device was returned for repair, they installed the wrong map and Home ain't smart enough to handle this so it loads new maps with the same rubbish installed to them.

When you get fed up of rubbish advice post back on here and one of us will post a reply containing a simple set of instructions that will be easy to follow and get your device working properly - Mike
moshchops27
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike

Your advice and all on here is great. I have only bothered to try and annoy TT as the unit is still under warranty. In my own small world I would like to think they would offer some apology for cocking things up! In reality I have high hopes that will be shattered by them.

Anyway PGPSW is excellent and advice is top notch.

Thanks
Tom
TonyIshUk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
PaulB2005 wrote:
Hours? I find a complete backup takes 12-15 minutes. Are you sure you are using USB 2 ports on the PC? You're not plugged in via a hub are you? Are you using a USB port on the rear of the PC?

Its an XL IQ so the device is USB 1, you can plug it in to a USB-II port but it can't go any faster as the restriction/ bottleneck is in the TomTom device itself - Mike

I dont know if I am out of line here but after problems loading TT Home and connecting. I contacted TT service desk asked if the my unit (XL IQ Routes Live) was compatiable with usb 1.1 (my current laptop spec)

I received the answer that the unit would only work with USB2.

Seemed a good excuse to Amazon a 4 port usb2 pcmia card for a tenner !

(Card works super fine as USB 2, (Flash drives and hard disk) I have not yet tried connecting the TT yet)

Rgds
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, I can assure you the XL IQ Live is USB 1 and I don't care what crap TT Support tell you as if they claim its USB 2 they don't know what they are talking about!
If you connect the device to a USB II port or Hub it will will still work OK but you won't get the increased speed offered by the USB II port as everything will slow down to the slowest speed offered by either end of the connection - In this case the TomTom PND - Mike
moshchops27
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

My TT is now superbly working! I formatted and then copied my main 'out of box' back up across. TT Home updated the application twice and then installed the map (845).

It's back - would have never happened if TT Support knew what they were doing.

Thanks PGPSW - for your help!
TonyIshUk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Thanks for the reply, I thouht you might like this to reflect upon

Laughing

+++++++++

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Customer (A Isherwood) 21/02/2010 10.02 PM
Does XL Routes IQ Live work on USB 1.1 ports ?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Response (Victoria B. (UK)) 23/02/2010 10.59 AM
Dear Mr Isherwood,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Care

The reference number for your query is .

Further to your email, the devices only works on USB 2. If you have any further questions or queries please don't hesitate to contact me.

With Kind Regards

Victoria

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Customer (A Isherwood) 24/02/2010 10.23 AM
Hi,

Thanks for your reply:

""Suitable swearing for for the situation " (Rats, blast it, Damn Ect)

Any chance of one you guys speaking / writing to my wife and explaining that Now that I have one of your super fine products that I will also need a new PC or laptop ?

(It was hard enough to convince that we needed a Sat nav in the first place !)

Maybe the shop will take it back ?

Computer specs on the box may have helped. (Maybe not who knows ?)

Rgds

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Response (Victoria B. (UK)) 25/02/2010 11.52 AM
Dear Mr Isherwood,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Care

The reference number for your query is

Apologies that you are unable to connect your device to the computer you have. I will ensure that your feedback is sent to the relevant department.

If I can help or be of anymore assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me.

With Kind Regards

Victoria

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am awaiting their reply with interest !
Rolling Eyes

Rgds

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: