Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 845 maps out today
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

845 maps out today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chelsky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate it David. After formatting the internal I couldn't do anything Embarassed so I removed the sd card and connected to TT Home and have managed to download all the apps and the new map Very Happy Thanks for your help David
chelsky
SQUARE2024
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downloaded the latest map set it took 1hr 55 mins which is the longest time yet to date,but on a positive note all is working OK,now have to find out what the map updates were my area !.

TomTom 520
Christmas Draw 2010 Grand Final Winner Garmin Nuvi 1490TV
moshchops27
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have a TT XL IQ (internal memory only). Latest map unzipped is 1.97GB. Computer reckons that total capacity of the TT unit is 1.91GB. Tt Home did say free up some space but offered no help to do so. Personally I don't think the unit is fit for purpose as it does not have enough space for all the software/files etc. Perhaps they should have made the internal memory bigger!. New map won't fit and on the basis that the unit has gone back to skeleton software i.e.e one voice, one car symbol etc. how the hell does the map fit in. Has something gone wrong with my XL IQ memory? Should I do a complete format - defrag. Any ideas.

I am currently restoring a back up but that takes for hours on Vista - anyone know how to speed it up?

Oh I have complained to TT so will see what they say!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Should I do a complete format - defrag. Any ideas.

Do you have a complete unit backup taken using Windows Explorer?

Do NOT do a Defrag. Flash memory doesn't work the same as normal hard drives and doing a defrag will do nothing anyway except shorten the memory lifespan.

Quote:
I am currently restoring a back up but that takes for hours on Vista - anyone know how to speed it up?

Hours? I find a complete backup takes 12-15 minutes. Are you sure you are using USB 2 ports on the PC? You're not plugged in via a hub are you? Are you using a USB port on the rear of the PC?
moshchops27
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

OK - so no defrag. I am using USB 2.0 ports (all on my PC are this speed), I believe that it is something to do with the 'bootloader' ??? and is a known problem. It takes about an hour on an XP machine when I tested that out.

I also have a complete backup which is an old map but only 1.86GB in total size. The latest map is simply far too big to fit on the current device!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open the map download file on the PC and have a look at the contents are there any cspeech files in it? If there are you can simply delete these as your device doesn't support speech recognition, these files shouldn't be in your map download and if they are the Home software has probably downloaded the wrong map release for your device.

If you need further instructions on how to install the map manually using Windows Explorer post deletion of non required files (if they are present) then post back - Mike
moshchops27
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks for the reply - I took a copy of the downloaded map extracted the two zip files to the computer folder and - yes it contained lots of cspeech files!!!! Stupid TomTom Home!!! Stupid TomTom. I assume that if I only unzip the two zip folders, delete the cspeech folders and then copy these across to the the map folder (with deleted contents) that all will be well?
moshchops27
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted the cspeech files and the total map size is now 1.64 so it should fit.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unzip the main map download to the PC (the big file) and then delete the cspeech files, next unzip the tiny .meta.dct file and copy that to the same folder, finally copy the resultant folder straight to the device using Windows Explorer - Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Hours? I find a complete backup takes 12-15 minutes. Are you sure you are using USB 2 ports on the PC? You're not plugged in via a hub are you? Are you using a USB port on the rear of the PC?

Its an XL IQ so the device is USB 1, you can plug it in to a USB-II port but it can't go any faster as the restriction/ bottleneck is in the TomTom device itself - Mike
moshchops27
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh -so its TomTom being a bit tight then?
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

My XL IQ Routes downloads W&CE 2GB complete with all cspeech files, and HOME installs it fine without the cspeech files (it may keep the UK and Ireland ones only).

Strange that for others it flags up as not enough space, but that is HOME for you!

I have 'extra' voices on mine as you know and there is still space for plenty of POIs without deleting the raster folder and all the other junk to free up space.

When TT eventually get round to releasing Nav9 for the XL LIVE I might have to free up some space!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldn't put any cspeech files on the device as there is no hardware to support the functionality these files provide, speech recognition needs a microphone which none of the XL range have ever had fitted - Mike
moshchops27
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

The advice is excellent as usual! - I checked the Explorer backup that I did when the unit was brand new - no cspeech files in the copy. However when it had a little repair, I took another copy of the files, The map that TT installed came with cspeech files - perhaps that it where it all began?

Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you that have the v845 maps on the device in the UK/ Holland it might be time to update your postcode files as the newer ones are now available, click Here to go to the page containing the information and link to get the required files - Don't expect TomTom Home to get these for you as that software is too dumb and stupid to realise they are available - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: