Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 845 maps out today
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

845 maps out today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With the older models it was reckoned that 2MB was all that was needed for calculations and Route storage.

Thanks. It's definately down to 75Mb free now so plenty left to go...
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated mine today. They still haven't got ride of roundabouts in Rochdale that went years ago. Not at all happy - what did I pay for the map updates for?

I'm seriously thinking of changing to Garmin - at least their maps are more up to date (in the UK).

Alan
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm seriously thinking of changing to Garmin - at least their maps are more up to date (in the UK).

Hmm. I jumped from Garmin to TomTom because of the massive inaccuracy of their maps and their very wonky routing engine.

Oh and i've found the TT Customer Service much better than Garmins. Neither is perfect but i was shocked by Garmins CS. V poor...
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grass is always greener..... Wink
clay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i connect my 520 to TTH im offered the latest map for £13.90 but also Tom Tom map update service for £35.80 that i dont want, Is there a way to get the map for £13.90 on its own ?? thanks.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Laughing

That's a discount price when you buy the update package.
DUDELOVE03
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

done mine last night will try it out today when i go from kent to the isle of wight and back
chelsky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: TT said not enough space!! Reply with quote

Hello. I have just had the same message as privateer. Downloaded the latest map and began the installation. After some time I was told that there wasn't enough space for the new map although there is loads on my sd card. When I checked on TT 720 it says I have 845.2645 which is the new one. Is it being installed on the internal memory as well as the sd card? When home starts I have the option to click on one or the other and always click the sd card. Have check the device without the card and it a much older map. I can not understand why the 720 shows the correct map after being told it failed. Any comments would be appreciated
chelsky
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a bug in the latest version of Home in that even if you select the card it'll try to install on internal and vice-versa in many cases.

Use Explorer and look at your specific map folder on the card. Look for a file with the extension of .pna and open with notepad. It'll show what version map is there.

Do the same with the .pna file in your map folder on the unit itself. Is it different? You are looking for the 845 value.

Also, while looking at the contents of the card, is your application installed on it as well as on internal? If so, the unit will boot to the card first. That may be why you see different versions of the map with and without the card installed. With the card it is seeing the map on the card. Without the card, if the app is also on internal, it's seeing the map on internal.

The bottom line is this: You obviously want the 845 map. If it is on the card, then you can remove the (presumably older) map folder from internal. I'd also just have one instance of the application so I'd remove the loose files (NO FOLDERS or their contents) from the card.

If your new map is on internal, then use Explorer to make a backup to your computer and then remove the older map version from the card, if there, and move the new map folder from unit to the card.
chelsky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that David. When I run the 720 without the card I get a message saying that my map is 8 months out of date so I assume that the update isn't on the unit only on the sd card. I will still do what you said anyway. Can I remove the old map from the unit and put the new one on? so that I have a backup should the sd card fail.
chelsky
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, use Explorer to move the map.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
Just a word of warning, Robert, in case you haven't read about it in the forum.

Thanks Anita, much appreciated as I hadn’t read about it.

Anita wrote:
With a recent update Home ignored your selection of internal or SD card and updated both! If you want to make sure the update is written to the card it's safer to use a card reader instead of the device. As long as you also have the application on the card Home treats it as if a device was connected.

I’m using TomTom Home version 2.7.3.1894 and every time since I installed the 4 Gb SD card when I connect my 730 to the PC I’m asked by TT Home whether I wish to use the internal or card memory.

The TomTom 730 unit (i.e. not TT Home) reports that I’m using Western and Central Europe 2GB V840.2562 on the internal memory and Western and Central Europe 2GB V845.2645 on the SD card.

mikealder wrote:
Privateer wrote:
I now think that I have V845.2645 on the TomTom 730 (because that is what it reports) and it is now apparently working OK

Is that reported directly on the device or vie TT Home? if its the latter check again on the device as Home is well known for miss reporting the version numbers.

It’s the TomTom 730 unit and not TT Home that shows I have V845.2645 on the SD card.

I’ve not yet found any difference (or improvements) in the V845.2645 maps. Are there any improvements in the latest maps? Wink Out of here

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
chelsky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David
chelsky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear Embarassed I formated the internal drive and went to copy over the new map and get a warning that the drive is too small. How do I know what to leave out so that it fits!!!!!!!
chelsky
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look in the specific map folder for a bunch of cspeechxx.dat files where XX is a 2 letter combo for various countries. These are used for Voice Recognition in those countries.

If you never plan to drive in certain European countries, you can move them to the computer for now. That will free up some space.

Also, remove any files you see in the raster folder. You really won't need them.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: