Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 845 maps out today
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

845 maps out today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem with a 550, all updated without problem & mapsettings retained Very Happy
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
Just use "Operate my Go" in Home before rebooting or disconnecting after the map update and all the settings are preserved. This worked on W&C Europe 8.45 on 940...

Great tip, thanks.

falkirk81 wrote:
Thats about all I can see that has been changed, the same issues still remain in Newcastle city centre Evil or Very Mad

Don't tell me they're still routing on to the Tyne Bridge off Swan House roundabout?!
J_S_W
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope - didn't do Western Europe automatically on my 720! Not enough space please remove... etc. I've got nothing extra loaded of any size but since the new map is bigger than the old so it wouldn't fit.
My workround was to temporarily remove Kate which freed enough space to allow the upgrade (leaving about 8MB left!) and then delete all cpeech_xx.dat files except the GBR one before putting Kate back to work.
My custom car cursor was preserved over the upgrade but not the other settings so I copied the mapsettings.cfg from my backup which gave me Home location back etc - but lost the car cursor which was easily put right.
Anyone else had this sort of problem? I've only ever had one map upgrade that went flawlessly - and I suppose that's lucky?
Anyway away from home for a few days so it will get tested.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seamaster wrote:
Don't tell me they're still routing on to the Tyne Bridge off Swan House roundabout?!

Didn't check that one, but its a complicated junction. You can join the tyne bridge from the quayside road that bypasses the swan house roundabout. I have sent TA/TT detailed instructions of the layout. I wouldn't expect it to be changed yet, the roundabouts are still in Jesmond on the coast road that were removed 5+ years ago, and a couple in Sandyford!

I almost give up! Laughing

Steven

iPhone 12
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seamaster wrote:
MrT wrote:
Just use "Operate my Go" in Home before rebooting or disconnecting after the map update and all the settings are preserved. This worked on W&C Europe 8.45 on 940...

Great tip, thanks...

..which sadly didn't work on my 740. Sad
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
AndyVaughan wrote:
All downloaded fine here - mapsetings.cfg disappeared as well.

Andy, if you get chance running from the office to home set it as destination for the "Grain Road" and follow it past Tescos on the main road, do you get a prompt for the turning left off the the A56 or is this an error? - Mike

OK - now I know what you want me to check I can confirm all is well with 8.419.1257 and WCE 2GB 845.2645 - I get a 2 mile and 800 yard bear left warning on a route demo.

Must be the app or map version you are running Wink
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seamaster wrote:
Seamaster wrote:
MrT wrote:

Great tip, thanks...

..which sadly didn't work on my 740. Sad

Didn't work for me either! Lost everything!

As usual the new maps are a total waste of time anyway, with only minor update of a POI or something useless like that.
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another FAIL for the Map update on my 520. Used 'Operate My Go' copied mapsettings.cfg, did a full Windows backup, updated Map, used 'Operate My Go' to add a Favourite and then rebooted.

No settings at all. Copied mapsettings.cfg back and still nothing.....
ratman633
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated okay and everything appears to still be there.
Just a shame that I can't find any local changes on the new map. Roundabout, built over 5 years still not showing, the road where my parents have just spent their second Christmas still not on the map neither are two major housing developments.
Don't think I will be renewing the map subscription next time.

TomTom 540
v9.510
Map v905.4754
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downloaded and updated my rider2. Tryed the operate my device. seemed to be ok. The put the memory card back into the ride and it had lost the settings.

As I always copy the card first it was not a problem but then it did not reboot without a soft reset.

Seems to be OK now.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard345 wrote:
Another FAIL for the Map update on my 520. Used 'Operate My Go' copied mapsettings.cfg, did a full Windows backup, updated Map, used 'Operate My Go' to add a Favourite and then rebooted.

Is that really the order you did things in? If so, no wonder it didn't work.

What you need to do is
1. backup the old MapSettngs.cfg file
2. Update the map
3. Paste the old MapSettings.cfg file back into the new map folder (overwriting the new file that's there)
4. see if it works
5. If not, go to "Operate my Go" in Home and add a favourite
6. Disconnect from Home and see if your Favourites have returned.

.....Or use a POI category to save your Favourites, which avoids all this hassle!
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
richard345 wrote:

Is that really the order you did things in? If so, no wonder it didn't work.

What you need to do is
1. backup the old MapSettngs.cfg file
2. Update the map
3. Paste the old MapSettings.cfg file back into the new map folder (overwriting the new file that's there)
4. see if it works
5. If not, go to "Operate my Go" in Home and add a favourite
6. Disconnect from Home and see if your Favourites have returned.

.....Or use a POI category to save your Favourites, which avoids all this hassle!

OK, on reflection the way you have written the steps is what I did, I got confused while posting, so I have reverted back to the previous backup taken a week ago and retraced my steps.

Regrettably, it still didn't keep my settings.

I have my favs saved as a POI group as well, but it's quicker locating the one I want as a favourite.

Thanks anyway.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard345 wrote:
but it's quicker locating the one I want as a favourite.

Re-name the POI file to "_My Favourites" (notice the underscore preceding the file name), this way it gets the file to the top of the index each time you select the POI options - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuart wrote:
But please feel free to let me know if I can travel along the A350 without crashing into the fields !! Seems like a place to aviod for the next 4-5 weeks with a BIG diversion on along A303 Mere area.
Regards...Stu CoPilot Ex- Police

I drove from Bridgwater to Basingstoke today, would normally be on A303, so I worried a bit before I set up all the satnavs. Radio five live didn't mention it at all. GO520 with RDS-TMC made no comment. HD Traffic on XL Live routed me round without so much as a by your leave - coming at it from so far away, my diversion was less than 2 miles extra. Well impressed with HD this time!

So I've just done a route Demo and it still takes you through that one horse village backstreet. Caught me out southbound the other day - I almost never use the A350 southbound, so when Kate told me to turn right I did!! Trouble is, TNT pay so low (shortest route, would you believe?) that when I work for them, I have to juggle routing to get the mileage that low and follow Kate rather slavishly. PITA!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the above post the copying of mapsettings.cfg will not always work if done in the order stated. If you have a saved or backup of version of mapsettings.cfg that the new map or system does not like, it will overwrite it immediately everytime on booting. So if you restore from backup and boot, it will just overwrite the file again.

To force the file to upgrade you need to connect to the computer, copy mapsettings.cfg to the map folder whilst still connected to Home, then without rebooting or disconnecting use "Operate my Go". Some say that you need to make a minor change such as a POI or Favourite at this stage which will force a change to the mapsettings.cfg file.

If you are computer adept and were not fortunate enough to make a backup of mapsettings and get the constant rebooting cycle all may not be lost. When the device gets into this loop it starts to update or delete the old mapsettings.cfg file and crashes. As this crashes the update/delete is often not carried out correctly and the old mapsettings.cfg file is left on the disk/memory but is not indexed in the file directory. If you run a "chkdsk /f" on the TT drive/memory and when asked convert the lost (chain/clusters) data to files, it can often recover the lost file and put it in a hidden folder on the drive/memory called "FOUND.000" or similar. The file will have a name similar to "FILE0001.CHK" and there may well be several similar files. If you open these file in an editor, if lucky, you will probably be able to find which was mapsettings.cfg and rename it and restore it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: