Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Question about DIMKA SKIN Settings - Route Options
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about DIMKA SKIN Settings - Route Options

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gachbash
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Question about DIMKA SKIN Settings - Route Options Reply with quote

Question about DIMKA SKIN Settings - Route Options
Good Day
I am using the Dimka skin.
in Settings--Route Planning--Options there is (in the Route Options) a slide bar named "Method".
It can mooved between Fast and Optimal.
Do you know how it works and what is its meaning?
Thank you!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience of IGO, the method control makes little difference. I have not realy examined any long routes using 'Fast' because using 'Optimal' calculates routes pretty quickly. I suspect, but don't know, that 'Optimal' uses a more complex algorythm to wotk out the route, but as I said, I have no firm evidence of this. Perhaps Linknet, our resident IGO skin expert, will pop up in a bit and throw some more light on the subject.
gachbash
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Dimka skin- method slider Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
In my experience of IGO, the method control makes little difference. I have not realy examined any long routes using 'Fast' because using 'Optimal' calculates routes pretty quickly. I suspect, but don't know, that 'Optimal' uses a more complex algorythm to wotk out the route, but as I said, I have no firm evidence of this. Perhaps Linknet, our resident IGO skin expert, will pop up in a bit and throw some more light on the subject.

You are Fassst M8TJT!!
I guess you are right.
I made some tests and when distance is short (200 km) the Optimal method is quick as the Fast method. When Distance is long and complicate (1500 km) the Fast method takes half the time (to calculate)of the Optimal method. I have no idea yet about the route calculated... Is the Optimal method give "better" route?
I think better be on the safe side and take the Optimal method.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Dimka skin- method slider Reply with quote

gachbash wrote:
Is the Optimal method give "better" route?

If you find out, please let us know. Very Happy
gachbash
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Dimka skin- method slider Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
gachbash wrote:
Is the Optimal method give "better" route?

If you find out, please let us know. Very Happy

Just one more detail:
The "Route Method" is translated to "correctness=" in the system.ini file in the [route] section
min 50 (FAST)
max 100 (OPTIMAL)
Guess default is 80 (?)
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the point in adding what are now deprecated settings to some of these skins, it only serves to confuse users.

From memory, so I might not be quite accurate on this, I understand that the default setting for "correctness" is 80 and it determines the number of iterations that the route finding algorithm uses to arrive at the final route. It doesn't change the type of routing only the correctness of that particular type of route calculation. It was originally included to cater for calculating longer routes on very slow devices. However for shorter routes (I can't remember the cut off value) the default value is always used irrespective of the "correctness" setting. With the advent of faster devices it wasn't necessary to use lower values, and values higher than 80 make marginal difference apart from increasing the calculation time, so the setting was removed from the menus.

linknet
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Linknet.
Most elegant explanation. That would be my guess as well, but could not express it so well Very Happy
gachbash
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

linknet wrote:
I don't see the point in adding what are now deprecated settings to some of these skins, it only serves to confuse users.

From memory, so I might not be quite accurate on this, I understand that the default setting for "correctness" is 80 and it determines the number of iterations that the route finding algorithm uses to arrive at the final route. It doesn't change the type of routing only the correctness of that particular type of route calculation. It was originally included to cater for calculating longer routes on very slow devices. However for shorter routes (I can't remember the cut off value) the default value is always used irrespective of the "correctness" setting. With the advent of faster devices it wasn't necessary to use lower values, and values higher than 80 make marginal difference apart from increasing the calculation time, so the setting was removed from the menus.

linknet

So many parameters for this excellent software...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> NavNGo iGO All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: