Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Strange Speed Alerting Issue
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange Speed Alerting Issue
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ijd2006
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Strange Speed Alerting Issue Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been using the app for a while now. I use it only with audio alerts as the phone is in the arm rest and up to now it's been pretty good apart from thinking there's a 30MPH speed limit going north on the M11 for a short distance(!)

Today it did something really odd and rather annoying. It kept warning me, again on the M11, that the speed limit was 50mph. Constantly alerting all the way until it alerted for a mobile speed trap location and a limit of 70mph and then back to bleating about 50mph speed limits. I thought it might have missed the end of the avg. speed area I'd been through but it correctly alerted on all the 70mph areas but went back to "50" ... "50" .. over and over again. Until I managed to pull over and terminate the app.

Any thoughts appreciated, it's a bit difficult to debug it whilst you're driving with the phone in the arm rest though ...

--Ian
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we haven't got an END camera marked - unless you came off midway through the average speed zone?

I'll take a look but for info tapping the speed or average speed will cancel out the warnings.

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... This is odd. There are some 50mph SPECS on the top right of the M25 if that is the route you took? There are some 70 SPECS on the A11 at the top end of the M11 too.

The last of the 50mph SPECS is correctly marked as an END camera so the only thing I can think is that it was one-off glitch; perhaps the GPS was a bit 'iffy' at that point and/or the heading was registering incorrectly so it ignored the END SPECS.

If it keeps happening then we will need to look further into it...

MaFt
ijd2006
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

Thanks for that. Unfortunately tapping it involves opening an armrest, retrieving the phone and tapping it. Not an option whilst driving and up until now it has worked fine. The only thing that changed was the new map download this morning. So maybe it was that .....

Problem I have is if it continues to do it I have to listen to "50" from the start of the M11 to Junction 10. Or pull over and "tap" it which is equally unfunny on the M11.

I hope it gets fixed as it's unusable for me given the way I use it if it continues to do this which is a shame given I subscribed. Fingers crossed it goes back to how it was before.

--Ian
ijd2006
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought. If you have some way of collecting a route trace or a debug trace and it continues to play up I'm happy to try and collect data for you if it will help. I'm doing the journey again tomorrow so if it does or doesn't do it tomorrow I'll let you know.

Regards,

--Ian
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you could roughly highlight to me your route i can probably work out where the issue is starting. if it's hidden away in your armrest then it could well be that GPS signal was lost at the time you past the END specs that would have meant the 'all clear' and cessation of the average speed warning would have been missed.

if that IS the case then it's not really a fault of the app...! and should it happen (as it has in your case) we do have a method in the app to stop the warnings - it just doesn't suit your usage scenario...

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic a bit, but whilst we are at the top right of the M25 what are end markers 85738,85737,88888, 88889 especially 90702 all about. Are they left overs? Question
Specs at the top of the M11 are on the A14 Very Happy
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 are 'leftovers' the other 3 are still in use. they are used for CamerAlert to turn off average speed warnings when a driver leaves the specs zone before reaching the end specs.

only verifiers / team can see those on the map though Wink

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ijd2006 wrote:
Just a thought. If you have some way of collecting a route trace or a debug trace and it continues to play up I'm happy to try and collect data for you if it will help. I'm doing the journey again tomorrow so if it does or doesn't do it tomorrow I'll let you know.

Regards,

--Ian

You can turn on 'Record track' in the settings but I don't think it's adds an entry to say which warnings were sounded where. It has been suggested though for trouble shooting.

Could be worth turning it on and checking the route from that, if the 'line' goes all over the place then it could be GPS signal issue from being in the arm rest.

MaFt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He says it alerted 50 for the av speed area he had been through.

Possibility - If I get a message or call (handsfree) on my iPhone before/during the last camera in average speed zone, it freezes CamerAlert until the call is finished, then doesn't pick up the end camera and doesn't clear the average zone - it's something I have reported and I think it's being included as a fix for the next release. Maybe that's happening here and he doesn't notice if he's on handsfree with it inside the armrest?

The only objection to this theory is he SHOULD have been getting the annoying repeats long before the M11, UNLESS by coincidence the traffic on M25 was crawling and didn't allow him to get above 50 until he turned onto M11?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
ijd2006
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Route - courtesy of google maps Reply with quote

1 Paul Julius Close London E14 2EH, UK
1. Head southwest on Paul Julius Close toward Blackwall Way 305 ft
2. Turn right onto Blackwall Way 0.1 mi
3. Turn right to stay on Blackwall Way 446 ft
4. Continue onto Newport Ave 0.1 mi
5. Turn left to stay on Newport Ave 305 ft
6. At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit 292 ft
7. At the roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto Leamouth Rd/A1261 0.2 mi
8. Keep right at the fork 180 ft
9. Turn right onto E India Dock Rd/A13 Continue to follow A13 1.3 mi
10. Exit onto Newham Way/A112 toward Plaistow 0.2 mi
11. Slight left to stay on Newham Way/A112 Continue to follow A112 0.6 mi
12. Turn right onto Barking Rd/A124 0.4 mi
13. Turn right onto Inniskilling Rd 240 ft
14. Take the 1st right onto Jedburgh Rd 0.1 mi
15. Take the 1st right onto New City Rd 223 ft
16. Take the 1st right onto Barking Rd/A124 1.7 mi
17. Turn left to merge onto A406 3.6 mi
18. At junction 4, exit onto M11 toward Cambridge 39.3 mi
19. At junction 10, take the A505 exit to Royston/Duxford 0.2 mi
20. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto A505 heading to Royston 1.4 mi
21. Turn right onto Gravel Pit Hill 0.7 mi
22. Take the 1st right onto Church St Destination will be on the left 0.5 mi
Royston, Hertfordshire SG8 7RE UK

Show on Google Maps
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He hasn't picked up ExitSpecs 81137 as he leaves A13 northbound onto A112. I think my theory is best bet (call/txt message at the wrong moment).

ijd2006
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let you know if it does it again this evening. It's been flawless up until yesterday. Map updated yesterday so maybe it was that? I don't think I got a text. I may well have had emails though.

Regards,

Ian
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emails don't affect it (even when I get a "ping" to notify one arriving) and I find that texts do if I don't view them, just leave the notification of an incoming txt on screen until later (and who in their right mind would view one whilst driving?). It seems to happen perhaps with incoming phone calls too, but as I can handsfree answer them, I can't be sure.

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so the 50mph specs are on the A13 right at the start of the journey.

I presume then that you do not get above 50mph until you hit the M11 which would explain why the overspeed warnings don't kick in until then.

Where you turn off the A13 (in SPECS zone) onto the A112 Prince Regent Lane there is already a marker in CamerAlert app to turn off the average speed warnings.

It seems as though you must have somehow missed this - possibly due to brief loss of GPS signal OR, as DennisN suggested, an incoming call?

The EXITSPECS marker was a little closer to the A13 than it could be so I have amended this anyway and next time you download the database (you can do it any time, not just on the weekly release) then it will be updated. This will give the iPhone a bit more chance to update it's heading info and should avoid it being missed when you turn off (however loss of GPS signal owing to being in an arm rest will still give the same issue...)

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: