Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Bought a TT 750
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Bought a TT 750

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DieselDoNicely
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Bought a TT 750 Reply with quote

I initially started looking at Navmans, the S70 3D after I used an S50 on a trip and was pleased with the result. Tom Tom appealed to me as the display appeared to have all the info I wanted including the speed limit and my actual speed. A couple of tickets @ £60 would make a satnav cheap at the price. I needed Western Europe and ROI maps also.

Reading Mike heres advice on the XL Go being a stable platform, this would have done me just fine. But the major draw back is the lack of expandable memory meaning I would have to unload maps to fit others in if I went to US and Canada, which is on the cards. That left the 730, 740 and 750. I dont think I need the Live service, I'm a tight sod and would hate to part with the subscription and started looking at the 730, £199 in Halfords. I ruled this out as the latest map promise didnt apply from what I read posted here and looking at the advert in the shop. That left the 740 and the 750. The 740 was about the same price as the 750 so no contest, £225 in Halfords and I coughed up. Satnavs can be complex and problems do occur so I decided to go to Halfords as they could give me a "good" service if the thing croaked. Europarts was the cheapest at £214 on line, but In off on a Northen Europe trip next week and needed it quick and in working order. So out with the plastic and I made sure the box was still in it plastic wrapper, no out of the box and everyone have a paw in the shop thanks.

Its in the car now and being tested before I fly out next week. I plugged it into the computer after downloding and installing TomTomHOME2winlatest.exe, this isnt on any disk in the box by the way. As recommended here I back the thing up before doing any updates. Updating this on a slow connection would be a pain, dial up forget it. The 750 is a complex piece of kit, the back up across my USB 1 took about 15mins. The onboard ram is saying I have 2Gbyte of ram the Tom Tom site says the 750 should have 4Gbyte of ram, Im going to quiz them on this as with all my maps etc this is coming with 70 odd Mbyte of needing an SD expansion. Mind you SD card are relatively cheap now. The software interface isnt fool proof but is as easy to use as anyone else, designing GUIs for these devices must be a nightmare to achieve an easy intuitive user experience, just look at DVD recorders for TV. My USB connection stopped working once, but didnt appear to damage the settings in the 750. But as I said its a complex piece of kit working on RF transmissions coming from sources high up orbiting the earth, no manufacturers item are every going to work perfectly 100% of the time, if thats what your after buy a map and compass, for the rest of us these things are invaluable. The internals as a 400 Mhz Samsung processor, if the software works 100% all the time that will also be a miracle, look at Windows and how many blue screen you see, expect all satnavs to cock up at some time, the longer the software is running the more chance memory is being slowly gobbled up by some simple error until the day comes you have to power it off or reset it, no problem back to work.

Out on the road the unit gains a fix in no time and getting used to the menu wasn't difficult. No matter what the make someone will always dislike something in every GUI, I found nothing blood boiling and the thing was running in no time. The traffic live is good, but the information feed appears in its early stages of coverage, I don't think I would buy yet but I'm not travelling London and the South East much. When it did work the warnings were great, some queues were spot on others 200 yds out.

The scamera warnings are good, bit quiet but my radio drowns out the noisy diesel engine. I have heard people complain about the screen contrast in sun light on Tom Toms and Navmans, you will always suffer this with LCD displays and who would want to fork out for a satnav Plasma screen, not me thanks. Same as the LCD TV in the house, not best in bright sun light directly on them.

So all in all would I buy another, yes great little device and expandable to load any applications in the near future due to the SD card expansion slot.
If you only travel around the UK, this may be an over kill, If you want to use it elsewhere this is the boy to buy, swallow the cost and get on using it.

If I find any problems as the thing get more use and ages, Ill update this report. Until then one word wow...

DDN Nov 09
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, just a couple of points you might want to consider with your new toy:

1/ Have you used the latest map guarantee yet? if not you have 28 days from purchase to try this, and I would keep an eye on the forum as to when the next new map is due out as it could be any day soon, if you haven't used LMG wait a few days or a week.

2/ If you think the TomTom Safety Camera database is good then you are easily pleased, the coverage of mobile cameras is pathetic and the Specs average cameras through motorway roadworks are often very out of date - I appreciate the "I'm a tight sod" but it might be time to consider the database from this site as its considerably better, if you don't speed then you don't need the protection, but lets be honest at times we all tend to push the limit from time to time, locally you don't need the warnings, but if you go to other locations it can save the points and £60 burden for that odd out of character minor transgression.

3/ Please post back the reply from TomTom re the memory as I thought all 750 devices shipped to the shops were equipped with 4GB of memory, if you need the phone number its 0845 161 0009

- Mike
DieselDoNicely
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Welcome to the forum, just a couple of points you might want to consider with your new toy:

1/ Have you used the latest map guarantee yet? if not you have 28 days from purchase to try this, and I would keep an eye on the forum as to when the next new map is due out as it could be any day soon, if you haven't used LMG wait a few days or a week.

2/ If you think the TomTom Safety Camera database is good then you are easily pleased, the coverage of mobile cameras is pathetic and the Specs average cameras through motorway roadworks are often very out of date - I appreciate the "I'm a tight sod" but it might be time to consider the database from this site as its considerably better, if you don't speed then you don't need the protection, but lets be honest at times we all tend to push the limit from time to time, locally you don't need the warnings, but if you go to other locations it can save the points and £60 burden for that odd out of character minor transgression.

3/ Please post back the reply from TomTom re the memory as I thought all 750 devices shipped to the shops were equipped with 4GB of memory, if you need the phone number its 0845 161 0009

- Mike

Hi Mike

Yes I intend using this sites scamera database, the Tom Tom one picked up the static ones I passed.

I did the update last night,I assume any map from now on come as a pay for jobbie.

Ill look into the ram size and report back.

Have a good one.
DDN
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a TT 750 Reply with quote

DieselDoNicely wrote:
Its in the car now and being tested before I fly out next week. I plugged it into the computer after downloding and installing TomTomHOME2winlatest.exe, this isnt on any disk in the box by the way.

Normally you will find TomTomHOME installer in the internal memory on the device. It may not be the latest but it does allow an install of a working version.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...started looking at the 730, £199 in Halfords. I ruled this out as the latest map promise didnt apply from what I read posted here and looking at the advert in the shop.

Rather too late now, but the Go 730 WOULD have come with a latest map guarantee. It's only third-party refurbished ones that (sometimes) don't.

Quote:
That left the 740 and the 750. The 740 was about the same price as the 750 so no contest....

The 740 is actually a higher-specced device than the 750!

Quote:
When it (Traffic) did work the warnings were great, some queues were spot on others 200 yds out.

200yards is well above the limits of accuracy of the system. Don't expect anything as good as this except by chance. Laughing

Don't get me wrong, the Go's are still fantastic bits of kit, you just tend to hear the negatives on forums from us old whingers... Glad you're having fun with yours! Thumbs Up
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
you just tend to hear the negatives on forums from us old whingers

surely you mean perfectionists?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

The 740 is actually a higher-specced device than the 750!

Andy, how do you work that out? The 740 has 2GB of memory and a 750 should have 4GB installed, neither units have mp3 or FM Tx support and other than the Navcore 9 diferences which you might love or dislike they are the same device AFAIK - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right of course Mike!
I was thinking of the 940 being higher specced than the 950....

Put it down to me being dosed up on painkillers. Had a cortisone injection in my elbow joint yesterday and I haven't reacted very well to it! Crying or Very sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: