Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Replacement 970T TMC receiver
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacement 970T TMC receiver

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
archie159
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Replacement 970T TMC receiver Reply with quote

Hello,

I know that this is a very long shot, but does anyone know of anywhere selling old viaMichelin satnav parts? My TMC receiver, for a 970T, has broken its cable. It never worked that well, but if it were possible to replace then I'd probably consider it (price dependant). I've searched on e-bay and googled without success - maybe there is some shop out there, which someone here knows about, selling left-over parts? Or possibly someone with an old, now superceded receiver who would be willing to sell?

More in hope than expectation...!

Thanks,

"Archie"

ps if I were really handy with a soldering iron, then it might just be fixable - but I'm not, so, before resorting to that, I'd rather find a replacement!
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I assume you have tried VM themselves with no luck...

So I guess a long-shot question deserves a long-shot answer Razz There is an OP on here called Deepfour, though he hasn't posted for about a year. He used to work for VM and when he left them, he had a stock of spares and offered to send any useful ones to VM punters on this site.

No doubt they are all long gone (and so may he be), but you could always try PM'ing him JIC Rolling Eyes
archie159
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, BigPerk, yes, I remember Deepfour, but hadn't thought of pm-ing him, so will try that.

Re trying viaMichelin - how?! I've looked on their website, and could find nothing about selling anything anymore - and I thought that they stopped selling parts about 2 years ago!

Thanks again,

"Archie"
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I suggested VM archie159, you have to picture a straw and a closed fist Razz I just thought if you were able to get to their 'support' desk somehow (if it still exists) they MIGHT not just give you the total brush off Rolling Eyes

If you don't know the phone number or email contact, I'm afraid neither do I - someone asked somewhere on the site a while back and got a number suggested to them, though.
archie159
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, I'll do some more searching and see if they do still have a support number - if I find it I'll post it back here.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a look at the VM website. If you go into Product Support (via the 'Via Michelin GPS' box near the bottom right of the main page), and search on 'Support', you will get No 2716 'ViaMichelin Customer Support'. This will give you several enquiry options which you should be able to use to fill in a provided form with your request. 2716 was updated on 31/8/09, so seems fairly current.

Just in case you don't have any better luck.
archie159
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thanks, found that earlier and placed a question there - I've had an automated acknowledgement, so will wait and see if someone gets back to me in due course. I've also PM-d Deepfour. I didn't find a VM phone number on this forum, but a google search found a number given in a different forum, a bit over a year ago: 0870 7350360. Saynoto0870 doesn't recognise it, so I guess it no longer functions, but I might try in a few days time if I don't get a response to my question on their website.

Thanks again!!
PompeyblokeinOxford
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: TMC Cable Reply with quote

Hi.
When I had this problem the only way I was able to resolve it was to buy a new cradle assembly. It cost about £50! I have used the old one in France without the TMC receiver and it worked quite well; I was surprised to receive TMC messages. I don't know what other users think but I think that TMC in the UK is not that brilliant. So is it a worthy feature?
archie159
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly wouldn't pay another £50 to get it! I agree it doesn't work that well in the UK - there is quite a lot of discussion about the benefits or otherwise of UK TMC on another forum in this website. But it is quite useful when travelling on the continent in a country where you don't understand the radio traffic reports.

Interesting that you got reasonable reception in France without an antenna... I've noticed over the past few days, since mine broke, that my reception has been about the same as it ever was (ie not very good, but occasionally kicking in). Furthermore, I've looked closely at exactly how the cable broke, and I'm now pretty sure that the outer part of the coax cable (the wire mesh) was never connected at the plug end of the cable; so I am now wondering whether the antenna ever actually worked properly at all - and your comments reinforce that.

Viamichelin responded to the "contact us" form I filled in - they don't sell any parts any more. And no news from Deepfour. So, unless anyone knows of anywhere selling old stock, I guess it will come down to keeping an eye on e-bay. Where, by the way, I spotted someone selling a used 970T (UK/Irl only) for £65 - seems rather a lot for such an obsolete model...
PompeyblokeinOxford
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: TMC and other gripes Reply with quote

Has anyone thought about making their own aerial using the existing connector. In my opinion ViaMichelin customer services have not be that good; even before they lost interest in the SatNav market. When I asked them a question about GPRS settings for my 970Tconnector I got an automated reply that did nothing. Thank god for this web-site.

Paul
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

archie159, just had another thought - is your device still under warranty (ie less than 2 years old)? I see VM are still posting these devices on their website, so they are presumably still available.

So while I don't expect it will make much practical difference, if your 970 is still covered (at least in theory!), it might be worth pointing out to VM that you are not after a spare part, but a repair/replacement under the terms of the warranty, and see what they say.
archie159
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, BigPerk, but I'm afraid that it's out of warranty now (though not by much).

Funnily enough, I've now been running it without an antenna for over 2 weeks now, and I really don't notice any difference whatsoever in the level of TMC reception. I am more than ever convinced that the antenna never worked at all - I've examined the break in some detail, and am pretty sure that the coax wiring could never have been properly connected (the outer part is simply too short to reach the end of the cable). In fact, I'm almost of the opinion that the reception has improved without the external antenna. Very odd...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: