Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 930 battery life woes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 930 battery life woes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: TomTom 930 battery life woes Reply with quote

Hi,
Pretty much since I've got it, I've been having problems with the sound and/or battery life on my TomTom 930.

First of all it started off as a sound problem. If I was on a computer generated voice, then the sound would stop playing if the battery was below about 40%. All you'd hear is a faint click when it would normally 'talk'. TomTom released a "fix" for this problem, but in actual fact, it seems all they did was to turn the TomTom OFF prematurely, at the point that this problem would start happening. So now my 2 hours battery life is down to only about 1 hour if I'm lucky. They're refusing to acknowledge that this is not an acceptable solution or replace/repair my device. They simply say that I should always use the device on a power cable at all times. A different TomTom employee told me that there was a design flaw and the battery in the device cannot supply enough current to power the device when the battery capacity drops below half and it's trying to play the computer voice sounds. The software fix simply stops you using the device in the bottom 50% of the battery life - instantly halving the battery life. Evil!

I wonder if I have grounds for an exhange on "not performing as advertised" or "not fit for purpose" when it actually works OK on the power cable?

Does anyone else have the same problem? How do you find the battery life on the 930 with the latest software installed if you're using the computer voice?

Thanks,
Nick
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick, the device is supplied with a car charger and the instructions for use show it plugged in so if you are looking at getting it exchanged because you don't want to follow these instructions then I doubt you will have any case worth answering.

At the end of the day if you don't want to use a power cable with a GPS device running in your car swap it for a paper road atlas, ALL units need power from the car to work correctly.

Each time you test the battery life for duration you will get different results due to the different routes, amount of instructions etc and even temperature will have a bearing upon duration, if it manages over 90 minutes I would say you have a good device - Mike
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On TomTom's website is clearly states:

"Battery lithium-polymer (up to 5 hours operation)"

As I never do 5 hour journeys, I took that to mean I would never have to use the device with a power cable and I think that's a pretty fair assumption bearing in mind the statement above. Contrary to what you say, the instructions do not say that you HAVE to use it with a power cord and they also mention the device can be used on battery power. As you said yourself, it's a "charger" and not a power supply. If it doesn't need charging, you shouldn't have to use it.

Fundamentally, the device is achieving nowhere near the claimed "up to 5 hours" battery life and TomTom have admitted the fault! All I was trying to find out is how common this problem is and if anyone's had any luck getting their device fixed/exchanged.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although these devices will operate on battery, they are intended to be powered for normal usage and many TomTom's have had issues such as distorted sound etc when operating on battery as you describe.

I'm not sure where you stand as regards this issue but I'd agree with Mike that they are intended to be powered from the vehicle in normal usage. Can I ask why you don't? Is it a physical issue or just a preference not to have your car littered with wires?
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's mainly because I my old TomTom 910 would run perfectly for 3-4 hours (also with a computer voice) that this is what I'm used to. When I "upgraded" to the 930 I assumed it would be no different, or even better. The position of my power socket means the tomtom power lead is in the way of the gear lever and I find this really irritating and a distracting annoyance. I didn't have any issues with the 910 for many years (until it was stolen) and I never used it on mains power.

I guess if the battery installed really doesn't work, I'm going to have to come up with some kind of hard-wire solution or an alternate socket somewhere it's not in the way.

I also don't like wires (hence my discussions with you about hard-wiring the RoadHawk on another thread) Smile I've found out there's a retrofittable sat-nav tray for my car, with power available below the dash, so I might go down that route. Not very confident about cutting up my dash board on a brand new (leased) car though!

Last edited by NickG on Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
It's mainly because I my old TomTom 910 would run perfectly for 3-4 hours (also with a computer voice) that this is what I'm used to.

Sadly that was the last model which had a battery you could rely on.
Quote:
I guess if the battery installed really doesn't work, I'm going to have to come up with some kind of hard-wire solution or an alternate socket somewhere it's not in the way.

I hate wires, that's why I use Carcomm cradles and hard-wire to keep it tidy.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stupid thing is, the 910 battery is hardly any bigger (by volume) than the 930 battery. There's absolutely no reason why it should be so much worse. Also other manufacturers seem to have GPSs with 4 hour battery life - so why can't TomTom manage it anymore? A PDA can run for 3-4 hours running TomTom and the batteries are half the size of the one in a TomTom 910.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, as TomTom have admitted a problem with the device, they should fix it by fitting a beefier battery (which was done on later 930's apparently), or swap mine out for one of the later models. It seems stupid I've got to put up with a device which physically just switches off as soon as it notices it's own sound isn't working anymore. If I switch to a non-computer voice, I can get 3 hours battery life out of it, but half the reason I paid extra to get the 930 was for computer voices which I find very useful. If other 930s work, then I don't see why mine can't be made to work through repair or replacement.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battery life is far lower than the silly claim of 5 hours, how that was achieved is beyond me!
I have recently changed the battery in my 720 and a mates 530 which has significantly improved matters, my 720 was down to around 15 minutes when not connected to a power source! I have seen plenty of others with battery duration issues, and I would agree once its below an hour its not much use.
Big problem is changing the battery due to the stupid design, it is possible with care, I am not even too sure TomTom change batteries on the x20/ x30 devices if they are still under warranty its probably easier just to issue a new device - As for a larger capacity cell there simply isn't room within the case - Mike
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
On TomTom's website is clearly states:

"Battery lithium-polymer (up to 5 hours operation)"

TomTom do say 'up to'

That means anything from 0.0001 seconds of battery life to 5 hours maximum.

I get about 25 minutes if I unplug from car power, which I never normally do.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time this comes up, there are several posts saying something along the lines of "the device is intended to ALWAYS be used with it's car charger".

I'm not sure why you stick up for TomTom when this patently WASN'T their intention - why else is there a setting to calculate a walking route?
I suppose they will have to use their usual solution when they can't get a feature to work properly (eg the FM transmitter or mp3 player) and just drop it from the next model!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I suppose they will have to use their usual solution when they can't get a feature to work properly (eg the FM transmitter or mp3 player) and just drop it from the next model!
Are you suggesting that they drop the battery from future models as wall as the 'walking' option? Very Happy Twisted Evil
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Andy_P wrote:
Are you suggesting that they drop the battery from future models as wall as the 'walking' option? Very Happy Twisted Evil

No this is just what they did from the 940 to the 950 "upgrade". It worries me that the next level of software for the 940 may disable these features.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently when something has been known to be problematic such as mp3 and FM Tx they are simply dropped/ removed from the next new model range.
I think this is what Andy is refering to, if they could drop the battery they would do! at least on the x40/ x50 the damn thing isn't super glued to the PCB so they have learnt something:

- Mike
Edit once to add the picture which I had lost on the computer!

Last edited by mikealder on Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you both miss my ' Very Happy Twisted Evil '

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: