Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Another HD Traffic FAIL
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Another HD Traffic FAIL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swash
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really fed up with these clowns now.

I only bought the 540 Live for the HD Traffic, and it worked great during the 3 month free period, now on my daily commute round the M25 I'm lucky if the damn thing can connect with the server and then it patently does not update during my journey unless it is switched off and on again.

I have contacted Tom Tom numerous times, and they always trot out the standard reply about factory reset etc, but I am convinced that it is not my unit and I know people personally who are having the same problems as well as seeing other members on here.

I can only urge evry one having problems to contact Tom Tom to express their dissatisfaction in the hope that one day they might actually do something about it.

To me they are now selling a service they cannot deliver particularly in rush hours, which is when most people need the bloody thing.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today it is not connecting to the network at all, there are 2-3 bars in the signal strength but it will just not establish a connection. It shows connecting, brings up the SIM, IMEI and Model details but nothing in the MCC/NCC.
BarryUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem. Good network connection for the gprs on the TomTom, but not connected to the Live services at all.

The reliability is dreadful and unacceptable. I work in an IT department and if we provided the level of service to our customers which TomTom do, then they'd be staying away / leaving us in droves.
jpg1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have the email address of someone senior at TomTom? Perhaps we could all get together and bombard that person with emails until this is sorted out?!

Or maybe we should send round a bulk email to everyone we know to warn them against buying a TT Live device, or even buying a Live subscription? A bit like the "Home Delivery Service" scam email that has been (quite rightly) making the rounds...

Thoughts anyone? We need to make it just as uncomfortable to TT as it is to us when we try to use the service that we PAID for and it doesn't work. If it was free it wouldn't be so bad, but this is literally daylight robbery.
jpg1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I meant the "Home Delivery Service" scam WARNING email...[/u]
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there are a few members on this forum who have reliable contacts within TT and are feeding back there, as well as our experiences of the newer devices and the premium services. All I ever seem to get from them is "we apologise" and "we have escalated this to our second line" types of automated replays and how they "cannot offer an immediate suitable solution for this challenge"

Challange? Laughing

On a positive note, I like how they have now included what looks to be an estimated length of particular incidents (marked in grey dashed lines). Helps with the planning.

Still disappointing at the quality AND quantity of information we get in the UK compared to the rest of Europe if TomTom's route planning website is anything to go by. Add to that the refresh and connectivity issues we appear to be getting, it's a poor premium service compared to some of our European neighbours.

Out of interest, how much are the live services in other parts of Europe?

I wonder how the network will react in the first few weeks after Christmas when the no doubt many trial subscriptions of new Christmas presents are activated!
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But are TT listening???

They didn't listen over the RDS-TMC 1 minute delay bug with Navcore 7 for months and months - they actually denied that it was happening despite much evidence to the contrary. Again, it only seemed to affect UK users.

When it works it is excellent in my opinion - it is the best Traffic system TT have implemented.

When it doesn't work and you are sat stationary on the M6 for an hour and a half then it is a complete waste of money.
jpg1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we need is a decent competitor to TomTom.

That's what I'm hoping Navigon can offer. They have a big opportunity to steal significant market share away from TomTom if they can offer a good, accurate, reliable live traffic system.

Whichever company can do that, however busy the server gets, will always get my money - and almost everyone else's too.

As soon as Navigon release their live traffic, if they can get it working well then TomTom have a dangerous struggle on their hands. I can see it getting into a really tenacious marketing fight.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it strange? I went from Bristol to Carmarthen and back this afternoon and HD traffic worked all the way on my XL Live - I judge this on the announcements of "Delay is now xx, you are still on the fastest route" coming up fairly regularly (what TTS? Laughing Out Loud). I got back before rush hour though.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which reminds me. I thought I'd share this fond memory with you of earlier times. My new GO520 is not yet registered, so it's still running App 7.221 with map 715.

Here's a reminder of the good old days with RDS-TMC slightly inaccurate!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
swash
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update, had more success actually connecting to HD Traffic last night and this morning, however still not one single update in transit without switching off and on again.

Still no solution from Tom Tom, has anyone managed to either get an answer out of Tom Tom or found a solution for this problem?

Must surely be a problem at their end , as everything worked fine on my 540 Live until about a month ago, and there seem to be a number of reports of this issue around the various forums, but sadly no answers
Jammy1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpg1 wrote:
What we need is a decent competitor to TomTom.

That's what I'm hoping Navigon can offer. They have a big opportunity to steal significant market share away from TomTom if they can offer a good, accurate, reliable live traffic system.

Whichever company can do that, however busy the server gets, will always get my money - and almost everyone else's too.

As soon as Navigon release their live traffic, if they can get it working well then TomTom have a dangerous struggle on their hands. I can see it getting into a really tenacious marketing fight.

I totally agree with the Navigon comment. If the Navigon traffic system is accurate and, more cruicially, works all the time then I'll be switching.

I still can't figure out which system, TomTom or Navigon, should provide the best traffic info as yet though. Anyone any ideas how the data sources between the two compare?
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomtom are finished.

They've had a good run, but as they've proved time and time again, they're simply not agile enough, nor - it has to be said - competent enough, to survive in such a crowded marketplace.
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we say for sure these network issues are soley TomTom's fault though? It could be a Voda network issue somewhere along the lines.

Understandably thats not an end-user issue, but nevertheless it could go deeper than just TomTom being at fault. Maybe we've just come to think that automatically with their track record in some areas... Laughing

As Mike said previously, any future hardware developments for Go devices should carry 3G capability in his opinion and has previously been advertised recently, Orange provide the best 3G network coverage in the UK (Apparently). Tie this in with Orange Traffic Data and TomTom's competitors could be on to a winner here to firmly take the HD and connectivity devices market away from TomTom.

HD Traffic Vs RDS-TMC
HD Traffic reporting road passable after accident in the center of Aberdeen.

RDS-TMC reporting road closed on the outskirts of Aberdeen (A96) with an est travel time of 58Min which, for the diversion thats set up, is about right.

Guess what one's more accurate.... Laughing
Trafficscotland.org have it correct (FREE)
BBC Travel News have it correct (FREE)
RDS-TMC Information have it correct (FREE)
RAC Traffic information have it correct (FREE)

TomTom HD Traffic have it incorrect (NOT FREE!)

Do they play Pin the tail on the Donkey when reporting stuff? Evil or Very Mad
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Here's a reminder of the good old days with RDS-TMC slightly inaccurate!

Forgot about the 1 minute delay bug also being a 180min delay bug for every incident as well! Laughing Out Loud

Andy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 2 of 14

Jump to: