Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Hows everyone getting on with their new aldi medion kits?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Hows everyone getting on with their new aldi medion kits?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rd57chad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Hows everyone getting on with their new aldi medion kits? Reply with quote

Ok , Had mine a couple of days now - navigation system fine , good choice of routes etc .
Gripes - system locked up once , after entering destination the screen locked up & then went white - only way to get going again was to soft reset ( via hole on side of case ) . Has this happened to anyone else?
Also set up on motorcycle , it worked for a while then lost Satallite signal - found fuse had blown in charger plug . To be fair think it may have been the bike @ fault - either to high a charge rate or excessive vibration , cant really blame the unit .
scotspie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D hi just playing with mine today grrreat job now looking for software for spped camera,s,,was like a kid with a new toy..ha ha
alex6998
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall I am pleased with my medion pda on which I got. ……However, I am a little bit unhappy with the whole gps kit map kit on which come with it. Despite it says it the 2004 edition it still fails to pick housing areas up on which are over 6 years old in big city areas such as Derby

Does anybody know were I can get any updates for this ??

Any help, would be most grateful……….. Thumbs Up

Thanks
:D
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Despite it says it the 2004 edition it still fails to pick housing areas up on which are over 6 years old in big city areas such as Derby

Does anybody know were I can get any updates for this ??

Really you do have the most up to date maps available, there are always some discrepancies, I have compared the previous Medion/Aldi Maps in Derby to TomTom 2/3 and the medion maps are much better, all the comments on the Aldi package have been that the maps compare very well to all the other packages out there,

Out of interest does this new Aldi/Medion Package show the M6 Toll Road yet,? if it does it will be about the only package out there that does!

As to online updates I am afraid it just isnt going to happen, these companies make their money on people coming back each year to buy the updates so they are not going to give them away,

This unit uses Navigon Map Data, so report any errors direct via Navigon it does work they do take notice

Regards

Victoria
walpurgis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a couple of day's use of the Aldi/Medion package, I am generally happy with the results. It has missed only one turning (possibly because I was driving along an avenue with tall trees on either side that might have blocked the GPS signals). I have managed to install a speed camera database courtesy of POI Warner and the database from this site, and now I am warned by a stern German lady whenever I am approaching a "danger zone".

I have also discovered how inaccurate my car's speedometer is (assuming that the sat-nav speed figures are more accurate). My speedo seems to over-state the true speed by about 7-8%. This presumably also means that the mileage shown on my odometer is too high by several thousand miles! And that I'm having the car serviced more often than is necessary!

My main disappointment with the package is that I can't use full postal codes for destinations. The ability to enter the last two characters would save so much time and would allow you to pinpoint your destination. I gather that other PDA sat-nav packages have a similar restriction but there is an add-on utility for Tom Tom that allows you to enter full postcodes. This may be enough to perusade me to switch to Tom Tom at some stage (but not yet).

I see that the POIs available from this site include postcodes, but I don't know whether these could be used with the POI Warner/Navigon system. Any suggestions would be welcome.

The POI Warner/Navigon package doesn't seem to offer a "navigate to POI" function which could be useful and is, I believe, available with the Tom Tom software.

Another difficulty I have encountered is that I live on farm and have to drive for about half a mile on private roads to reach my home. These roads are not in the Navigon database even though they are shown in maps from sites such as Multimap and UK Street Map, and on local street atlases. One consequence of this is that I cannot set my home as a destination! (The problem is made worse by the fact that the nearest public road doesn't have a name.)

One relatively easy way to solve this sort of problem would be if you could "bookmark" your current location (from the GPS signals) and give it a name such as Home or Work. On subsequent journeys, you could choose these destinations from a "favourites" list.

Does anyone know whether it is possible to get spare or larger capacity batteries for the PDA? Even though the docking bay has a location for charging spare batteries, there is no mention of them in Medion's literature or on its Web site. I searched for the Samsung battery code number on the Net but drew a blank. Perhaps the batteries are the same as those used in the HP1940 (which seems to be the Medion PDA's closest relative).

As I said at the start, I am generally satisfied with the Aldi/Medion package which seems to be genuinely good value for money. But a few enhancements to the software could make it a much more powerful package.

BTW If anyone is still wanting to buy the package, I noticed it was still on display in the Wellingborough, Northants, branch of Aldi on Saturday afternoon. The nearby Kettering branch had stocks of the previous version after most other stores had run out.
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have also discovered how inaccurate my car's speedometer is (assuming that the sat-nav speed figures are more accurate). My speedo seems to over-state the true speed by about 7-8%. This presumably also means that the mileage shown on my odometer is too high by several thousand miles! And that I'm having the car serviced more often than is necessary!

Hi, the above is well documented on many threads here, yes most UK car speedos read over by about 5MPH, BUT the Mileomemter is calibrated correctly, if you do a run on SatNav you will notice the speed reads lower but at the end of the journey the mileage will be correct, When using the system in a US car the speed is normally dead on to the SatNav reading as US Cars have speedos calibrated to exact speed, (Maybe because US Cops tend to give speeding tickets that are cost based on the speed you were doing), and also at a much lower level to the speed limit than UK cops!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vicky wrote:
This unit uses Navigon Map Data, so report any errors direct via Navigon it does work they do take notice

That ought to read 'Navteq Map Data' http://www.navteq.com/ Wink
GIV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Postcodes..... Reply with quote

Full Postcodes CAN be entered on my Aldi.... you have to enter them in the PO15 4TW format (ie you have to PUT IN THE SPACE)

It doesnt work if you enter just PO154TW

Give it a go.

Paul
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That ought to read 'Navteq Map Data' http://www.navteq.com/

Very true, sorry about that, All these NNs doing my brain in!!! Laughing

Regards

Vicky
walpurgis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses to my earlier post.

On the subject of speedometer and mileometer readings - surely, both must be based on assumptions about the type of tyres you have fitted, and whether they are correctly inflated. So both types of reading must be inaccurate to some degree (I haven't done the maths - I can't remember the formula for the circumference of a circle!). But I'll compare the mileometer and sat-nav distances next time I do a long journey. (BTW: if you use sat-nav software that originates from the US, is it calibrated in US miles or UK miles?)

It is a relief to discover that you can input full UK post codes. But the software still won't accept my home post code - presumably because, as I said earlier, I am not on a public road. Also it doesn't sem to accept post codes in addresses imported from my contacts list, even though these do have spaces in them. Perhaps I need to put some commas somewhere.
Otis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Medion Pocket PC Reply with quote

Still on Honeymoon period with mine so far so good..though I did take the in-car charge back due to faulty connection.

Generally happy with Medion-Navigator, tried MS AutoRoute and found the PocketPC element very dissappointing. Trying Tomtom tommorrow.

Couple of questions - does anyone know where I can get another USB connector for my work PC? Does the USB cradle charge the battery unit whilst in the PocketPC (stupid question butmines seems to have stop!!)
Thumbs Up Otis
rd57chad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry ,
I have to disagree with previous posts - on mine you definately cannot enter in the full post code it will only accept the first 4 digits/letter combination regardless of spacing or not . ..
In reply to the above question - the usb port on the cradle will not charge the battery directly from the pc's USB port , the mains adapter has to be used in conjunction with the cradle .
Althought there is no navigate to POI function ( as posted by walpurgis) there is nothing to stop you entering in the partial postcode , then select 'display on map' scroll to your desired point , select flag marker from pop up box at bottom rhs of screen & then saving it as your destination?
clansfolk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just 5 days old - like others have downloaded POI and Traffic Calming camera locations :-)

Very pleased so far only one problem when we Continued past out destination after mis-understanding a "turn half left" instruction at a set of traffic lights at a crossroads (even though we knew which way to go we thought we'd try what we thought the Aldi meant) the Aldi just stopped giving us directioon and when it started again was about 1 junction behind - evenually caught up though.

Can't get mine to input full postcodes either..

It also found us a great new route to a regular trip location - never would have found it had it not been for following Aldi instructions "to the letter" on a test run.

so far so good and an excellent price.
Thumbs Up
wildduck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, even though it wasn't really what I wanted, I took a gamble and bought the Aldi unit last week. My main and much used PDA has been a Palm Zire for the last few months.
I'm not really a PDA-freak, so many of my thoughts are probably stupid, but here's what I think so far.

1. The navigation software is great and works well except that the first real destination was a boatyard several miles down a private road round an airfield. Neither the boatyard nor the airfield seemed to be listed on the map, and the display just showed an arrow on a blank screen. I obviously need to get my head round navigation to/from off-the-beaten-track places.

2. I was a bit alarmed at having to install MS Outlook on a machine, and what is worse apparently having it tied to one desktop machine. This is totally unacceptable for the uses that I have. I can sync my Zire with whichever laptop I'm using at any particular time. Can these MS PDA's work with other, simpler desktop organiser apps?

3. I might be able to use the Medion device on the boat, although I think it will be too difficult to plumb it in and it looks too fragile for any real use, especially if I hope to ever be able to return it to the store. I do plan to investigate the (cheap or free) marine navigation software that is available, though.

4. The Zire is the same size with a smaller screen, but I'm finding the navigation around the Medion screen much more fiddly. There must be an easier way to get to Zelda Close than to start at Aardvark Road and use the tiny scroll bar, but I haven't yet found it.

5. On batteries and in the sun, the mono screen on the Zire leaves the Medion's colour screen in the shade Smile . In the car the Medion became very difficult to see when the sun came out. I haven't investigated the backlight timing for battery use, but at my age I need it to be much longer to allow for thinking time.

6. The Zire will fit in my jeans' pocket, and I don't worryabout knocking it about. The Medion just feels so much more fragile. Obviously, leaving it in the car is a security risk. I don't wear a jacket or carry a briefcase, and have to climb about in my work. How do others deal with this aspect?

That's enough questions for now. Apologies for the length of this, but this group does seem to be a great source of info. Thanks.

Bill
tinca
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Great Piece of Kit!!! Reply with quote

Hello All,

What a nice piece of kit this is......no problems whatsoever and the software is very good too. Question....can anyone tell me which/how speed camera overlays I can use and where to get'em from?
I have already bought the POI-Warner programme.

Tinca

Aldi's latest Medion with Navigon etc

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: