Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is it working?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it working?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chajun
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Is it working? Reply with quote

I have a TomTom 730 Go Satnav. It has the traffic device info received from Classic Fm. It does work but I have noticed that on several occasions it doesn't tell me of a delay which may have been on going for a while. Last night on the A1 there were two, neither of which were notified. Is this possibly Classic FM or is there another station to tune to?
Thanks
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, the TMC channel just happens to run with Classic FM transmissions usually. In parts of the country, I understand that other frequencies are used where there isn't a particularly good signal. There are areas that don't get a signal though.

As for the data itself, it's usually OK but not something that should be relied upon. When you are out and about, does the icon at the top of the traffic bar show a good signal? Also, if you look at the "traffic" map, do you see other incidents around the area? If you can see any incidents, then it's more likely that it's just the one in your example that were not transmitted.
Brodit ProClip mount
chajun
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello signal ok and from what I could see there were no delays. One of the delays according to BBC radio Newcastle was on going from about two hours before. I used to have a Navman that did mention "maybe to often" that there was a delay on route and the nav you around it!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Navman RDS receiver also used the iTIS holding data which is transmitted by the same Network of transmitters that the TomTom system uses. As Gerry has said this is mainly Classic FM but a considerable number of smaller local radio stations are also now used to add network coverage as the Classic FM network wasn't very good in terms of coverage when the RDS receivers were first launched by TomTom.

To be honest I always found the Navman RDS receiver far better for reception than the TomTom system, it just worked better in areas of poor signal strength.

If you have a solid green ball top right on the TT screen the device has seen a signal within the last 5 minutes, this solid green ball is progresively greyed out in quarter segmaents for each period of 5 minutes the receiver doesn't see a signal. Bear in mind that seeing a signal doesn't mean the device has received any data! - Mike
chajun
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. The unit seems to receive a good signal strength all the time. I noticed on the TomTom site " a new improved TMC receiver. When I enquired what had improved I was asked why I was aking!?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On your RDS receiver should be a small White tag with a part number printed on it, if it ends .013 then the unit you have is about as good as you can get, the mini USB style receiver is marginally better than the .013 but if you de-power the ciggy charger lead it drops the connection which is a bad thing in my experiance - Mike
chajun
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's .013 thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: