Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom Customer Services
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom Customer Services

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theloft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Tom Tom Customer Services Reply with quote

Can anyone advise me. My maps are 7 quarters out of date according to TomTom. They require £9.95 per quarter to update them, which I would find difficult to justify. I have a TT GO 920 and do not at this time require the Western Europe or USA maps updated, only the UK ones. I cannot find a number anywhere or email address for TT Customer Services which is apparently extremly poor, judging by various forums. Is there a way around this ?

Thank you.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could purchase the UK&ROI map for your 920 if you want to but as you don't currently own that map it will cost you £49:99 to purchase it which is more than the cost of updating the Western_Europe map.

In addition the update covers the next 12 months so you will have the latest maps (thats four individual downloads spread over the next 12 months as the new maps are released) - Choice is yours but the map update scheme is cheaper and covers you for far longer with up to date maps - Mike
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK Support:
UK 08451610009
Mon - Fri: 9am - 6.30pm
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, just because TomTom tell you the maps are out of date, is no reason to automatically assume you should update them.

The questions you need to ask yourself are:
Do I find errors in the places I drive regularly?
Do they annoy me sufficiently to spend the money on them?
Are they fixed in more recent maps anyway?

Most people find there are very few NOTICEABLE changes when they buy a new map, unless there is a major construction project that has been included. But many AREN'T.

If there is somewhere that bugs you, it is always worth asking on these forums to see if the area has been updated before you spend your money.
theloft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the replies. I had hoped I could just update the UK section but as Mike points out, this is an expensive way of doing it. Is Garmin just as expensive to update ? MIke I should point out that the update is a one off for £39.80, if you want to have the 12 months as well, it is another £39.80 on top. Total £79.60 which as I have said before, is in my opinion, much too expensive for an update. Even the one off at £39.80 !
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run four TomToms side by side, each with different Navcore versions. Two different map versions - two older devices not updated, with maps v675, two more recent devices with up to date maps v835.

Occasionally, the two older maps give me a different route, but they'd both get me where I want to go. For example, today, from Cirencester down the A419 to M4 Junction 15, there were two places where new road build meant they were not on track. But I simply followed the nice new road and got there easy peasy! The A30 at Indian Queens is another and there are several others of course. But the destinations don't move around and I've got up to date postcode (Version 801) on them, so all is well in that respect. There aren't enormous numbers of changes and you may not notice any of them unless you're a high mileage driver.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, thats a good post.
My 4 update thingy has just expired and I was wondering about doing it again for another 12 months.
But, you are quite correct. I've certainly not noticed any differences/changes/faults on the roads I drive.
I was driving around with 3 year old maps on my TT710 without any problem to be honest.
So, going to save myself the money and have a few beers and a curry instead. Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: