Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Windows 7 X960 NE anyone got it working ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows 7 X960 NE anyone got it working ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whooshvm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Windows 7 X960 NE anyone got it working ? Reply with quote

Win7 64 bit

Does not recognise nav unit when plugged in - unknown device, no drivers

s/w will not install (Q6600 processor) says not supported on this processor
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I don't think you'll have any luck at 64bits - VM website spec for X960 (all of them in fact) says
Quote:
PC equipped with a Pentium III ® 500 MHz processor, OS 32 bits only

Have you got a 32bit computer, or can you emulate 32bit operation on this machine?
whooshvm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks BP - I'll have to have a look at that, it was working when my PC was XP, then Iupgraded to Vista - but id not use it, now I have Win 7 64bit beta and even when booting to Vista, I can't even get active synch to see it :-(
I'll need to explore that virtual machine in win7 thingy...
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's another thing, whooshvm. There were lots of problems with Vista, and I don't know that m(any) of them really got resolved before VM pulled the plug on the whole satnav business (and unfortunately THAT has meant that VM themselves are not able to offer any help these days).

To get some more info, search on this site with 'Viamichelin' AND 'Vista' . And try any other terms which occur to you to find any other relevant threads - the search function, though good, is a bit erratic - eg, I did a search on 'ViaMichelin' and this thread didn't come up!

In short, you might have QUITE a problem getting it to work with Vista.

Also, it's worth noting (unless you already have!) that there is a LOAD of useful info in those threads from the time that VM had a lot of us as fans. It can be quite difficult to get answers to posts now that so many, like me, have (sadly) moved on - while answering your post I came across someone who had asked exactly the same question back in January and didn't get any replies!
vizzair
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: bad luck im afraid Reply with quote

Alas Vista 64 and w7 doesn't use active sync 4.5 any more , but uses windows mobile device centre, the bad news is that this doesn't support the version of windows CE embedded in the nav unit. So there isn't any direct way you can use this with vista 64 or w7.
I had exactly the same problem when my XP system self destructed and I got a new PC.
However the good news is that it is possible to get your unit to work, but in a roundabout way.

There is free software out there, called "virtualBox" which runs in w7 and vista. You use this to run a "guest" operating system in a virtual machine. virtuabox allows you to pass USB device connections straight through to the guest operating system.

So as my orginal XP system drive was intact, I loaded this into a virtual disk and booted my original XP inside virtual box. After some effort I managed to get the Microsoft person to accept my new configuration and my XP system was re-validated.

When I connect my satnav now to vista, virtual box passed the device straight through to XP and this works as it did on my old PC.

The hard bit is getting the xp OS off the harddrive into a virtual disk, and getting microsoft to re-validate the OS.

Hope this helps
whooshvm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - I tried running a virtual XP machine within Windows 7 and it still does not see the satnav when plugged in - well the OS sees it on a USB port , but the ViaMichelin installation software does not - it just keeps telling me to plug it in :-(
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about how it works, but someone got something (I'm not saying it was VM) working, by using some 'compatibility' run mode to make earlier programs work. I think there is a mention of the issue in the thread discussing the new PGPSW newsletter format. I daresay there will be some guidance in the MS V7 documentation as well.

Also, as vizzair actually got it working, it should be possible to establish a connection. I don't know if you have more detail of your attempts (eg any error messages, did you have ActiveSync there, ...?) that might help him to help you?
vizzair
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: using virtual box Reply with quote

sorry not replied earlier - been away.

To get the usb to be passed through to the virtual box, you must install the "guest additions"
from the "devices" button select "install guest additions"

Once that is done, plug in the satnav , wait till Vista stops trying to install a driver, then
from the "devices" button, select "usb devices" and pick the "viamichelin" device.
The virtual machine should now see it as a direct connection to the device.

Hope this helps..
whooshvm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - the windows 7 virtual machine/xp has an option to attach usb devices - even when I do that (it sees 960 by yhe way) the VM software do3es not :=(
whambham
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it working read my tread need to use the drivers for Compal 2nd device device = windows mobile device

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: