Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ipod Control
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ipod Control

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fozzee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Ipod Control Reply with quote

Hi

My new company car comes soon which has an aux socket. I have a 540 and am considering buying an IPOD to use with it. I'm struggling to find much information as to how effective this combination is. Any info would be useful.

Thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget it. Much easier to connect the iPod direct to the Aux-In.

The iPod Connect interface is only present on the accessory mount, needs a specific cable to operate AND doesn't charge the iPod. Pointless IMHO. The only benefit would be the ability to control the iPod from the 540's screen but given the other shortcomings it's not worth it.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could allways consider something like MobilNova and put that application on the TomTom, store your music on a memory card and use that to play the music - £30 (well slightly less as its 30 Euros TBH) its decent software that plays music and video on the device. You would need the accessory mount though to gain the required Line Out socket for the 540 - Mike
Fozzee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
You could allways consider something like MobilNova and put that application on the TomTom, store your music on a memory card and use that to play the music - £30 (well slightly less as its 30 Euros TBH) its decent software that plays music and video on the device. You would need the accessory mount though to gain the required Line Out socket for the 540 - Mike

I tried the demo yesterday but audio navigation and playing music together does not work it just crashes the tomtom. I can get the system setting working where I can navigate with no audio instructions but that's pointless for me.
Fozzee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Forget it. Much easier to connect the iPod direct to the Aux-In.

The iPod Connect interface is only present on the accessory mount, needs a specific cable to operate AND doesn't charge the iPod. Pointless IMHO. The only benefit would be the ability to control the iPod from the 540's screen but given the other shortcomings it's not worth it.

I already have a sony walkman which I could plug in directly. But the draw to the ipod connection was having audio instructions cutting in on the car speakers.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot understand why TT designed this without the facility to charge the iPod. I can only assume it is a technical issue with the current draw required being too much for the iPod to supply.

I posted in another thread on a similar subject that Kensington have an iPod charger that has a pass-thru connector allowing other connectors to be attached. Although I haven't tested it, it should be possible then to have the iPod hooked up to the TT and charging at the same time. Although with the charger, the iPod connect cable and the aux cable it ain't gonna be tidy!
Fozzee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I cannot understand why TT designed this without the facility to charge the iPod. I can only assume it is a technical issue with the current draw required being too much for the iPod to supply.

I posted in another thread on a similar subject that Kensington have an iPod charger that has a pass-thru connector allowing other connectors to be attached. Although I haven't tested it, it should be possible then to have the iPod hooked up to the TT and charging at the same time. Although with the charger, the iPod connect cable and the aux cable it ain't gonna be tidy!

I wouldn't bother with the charger the ipod would come out of the car every few days to be charged and updated with music anyway. I only drive a couple of hours per day.
Fozzee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume no one uses it then Laughing Out Loud
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do sometimes.... Smile
I don't own an iPod, but both of the kids do. If they are in the back they prefer to keep control of the music, so I just plug it into the radio aux socket direct. But if one is in the front, we connect the iPod to the Go and use the Go's display to choose songs.

Power never seems to be a problem. A charge seems to last for ages and they always pop the iPod back onto a charging dock at night.
meryvn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be resurrecting an old thread, though i wasn't sure if it merits its own.

I have just started using my 520 to listen to my iPod on my daily commute. Everything soundwise seems to work ok, however if i have it playing with the playing screen visible it changes tracks but the track name on the screen does not change. If is pause the song then restart it then it changes to the new track, or if i manually skip a track it changes it is only when i allow a track to finish and move on does the track name not change.

I am using the latest software for my TT with the latest maps.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: