Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GO510 - couple strange problems: help!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GO510 - couple strange problems: help!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swebb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: GO510 - couple strange problems: help! Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a couple odd issues that are causing me problems:

1) I have the unit connected to my power outlet as you'd expect. So when the car is running, the TT is on (with the light indictor on in the top left) as always. BUT the device is NOT being charged i.e. the battery is being drained as if the unit is not connected to the power supply. If I 'wiggle' the unit it will sometimes say 'charging', but this is intermittent and difficult whilst driving.

Very odd as the connection indicator is always on.

2) If I switch the unit off whilst connected to the car, it will switch itself back on again!! e.g. nearly home so I decide to switch the unit off. A few seconds later it will switch itself back on again! If the unit is not connected to the car, it will not switch itself back on again.

I have reset the unit and tried another connector (as I thought there may be a connection issue - even thought the indicator light is always on).

Any ideas on how to resolve?

cheers
Sad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a guess the mount or the locking mechanism that secures the mount or the device socket is shot - quite a common problem on the x10 range, not really a lot you can do with it, its possible to change the battery which might offer a solution but I would be looking at a replacement device to be honest.

As you seem to have auto power enabled can you tap the sat strength meter in the lower right corner followed by the version box then let us know what Navcore version of software is loaded to the device as Auto power on/ off was removed some time ago so an update might possibly fix this even though I doubt it, it certainly worth a look - Mike
swebb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike.

I've done that - can't find the words Navcore version of software. Assume you mean the version number? 7.903 if that's the case.

cheers
swebb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've connected the device to my PC via the docking station. It won't automatically connect... If I press the device hard onto the docking station it asks me if I want to connect, but not whilst it's in the normal position.

Looks like something has gone with the connection then.

So a new sat nav needed? I've had this less than 3 years - not a great return.

Anyone recommend a model for around £150 - £180 and where the best place to purchase is?

cheers
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at This for one option, whilst the 520 is around 2 years old you get the option to update the software and map for free when you purchase the device, at that point its the same as a 530 but for £50 cheaper - Mike
swebb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike.

Ii did some digging and saw this Garmin - any thoughts?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Traffic-Widescreen-Satellite-Navigation/dp/B00151USJG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1253785384&sr=8-2
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion the TT510 is a very good unit, excluding the bells and whistles probably the best one they have made for navigation function, use, battery life, and sound so don't give up on it too easily.

Because you are having problems upon both the car mount and the docking station it seems likely there is a problem with one or more of the connecting pins upon the device if someone could tell me how to post a picture on here I could show you what I mean.

However have a look one or two maybe bent or perhaps some dirt or other detritus preventing proper contact. Charging problems with the docking station are often caused by poor connection with the power supply lead try giving it a wiggle (There is no technical term for it)

If its just connection problems there must be some capable company out there who could fit a new new connection block? (Dont all rush at once)
swebb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are right re the connection pins as I have tried 3 different cradles, all showing the same result.

I've checked the pins and all seems ok. It is odd that the indicator light is always on when the unit is connected to the car (so why won't it charge?). It seems that the connection is working in one respect, but not another.

Time is against me, as I need a reliable unit for work. I may end up having to get one quite quickly if I can't track a fix.

thanks.
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If time is of the essence then Mikes suggestion is probably your best bet changing to a 520 will feel almost seamless, whilst the Garmin will be like starting from square one again.

I had wondered why Mike had not suggested TotalPDA for the 520 but it seems they have no stock at the moment. If they do get some they maybe a little cheaper why not give them a ring to enquire upon the supply situation?

I have no connection with them nor have I ever used them for anything its just that they always seem to support this site by advertising here.

Even if you get a replacement it could be worth trying to get the 510 repaired then you will always have a reserve unit upon hand
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricWB wrote:
I had wondered why Mike had not suggested TotalPDA for the 520 but it seems they have no stock at the moment.

Thats exactly why I linked to somewhere else selling the 520 at cheap prices. the CPC advert also states NEW which means it comes with LMG so you can update the device for free - There is quite a lot of confusion as to whether the TT products (Refurbs) from TotalPDA are supplied with LMG - Mike
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike I did notice that the CPC offering was for a new unit but never thought about the LMG situation that makes it a very good offer and they have it in stock.

Lets hope SWEBB lets us know how he gets on either with a new unit or a repaired one.
swebb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is interesting. I contacted TT Support to see if they had any ideas before forking out for a new device. I got (very promptly) this response:

If your TomTom is not charging, it may be because the rubber grommet is missing from your TomTom.

Please visit http://www.tomtom.com/6965

Scroll down and select your device from the drop down menu. Scroll down again, and you will see a picture of your TomTom device.

On this picture you will see where the reset hole is and a Rubber Grommet on the apex of the curve of the plastic.

Please take a look at this picture and confirm if the rubber grommet is missing from your device.

If the rubber grommet is missing, it can mean that your TomTom will not charge correctly on the mount.

To be able to send you a new grommet, please update this question with your address details.

Indeed the rubber gromit is missing! Let's hope a new one does the trick.

Worth knowing in case anyone else ever gets the same problem.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a possibility that the missing grommet is causing the issue but I very much doubt it, quite a few of us used to remove that rubber grommet to ensure the device sat better on the mount and didn't bounce around - they fall out rather easily - Its worth a try but I doubt it will fix it - Mike
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
quite a few of us used to remove that rubber grommet to ensure the device sat better on the mount
Mine worked a lot better when the grommet went walkies. Rolling Eyes

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
swebb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's dashed my hopes! Seriously, I'll let you know how it goes once I receive it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: