Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT720 ... up in smoke ...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT720 ... up in smoke ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeta1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: TT720 ... up in smoke ... Reply with quote

Shocked My TT720 went up in smoke this evening ... quite literally. Smoke and distinct smell of burning electrics (quite alarming when driving at 70 mph on the A55!) then TomTom was no more .... With nothing to loose I have opened it up and found a component 'D8' (near to USB input) has burnt out with significant burning and heat damage around this component.

As a result I have retrieved my GO300 from the back of a draw ... it hasn't been switched on in nearly 3 years, but did find the satellites after about 10 minutes. I need to update the POI's in it but was wondering if updating the OS would be worth while, the 300 is showing 6.520 at present. I will use the 300 while deciding what to get next, my question is should I update the OS on the 300 or just the POI's ???

Has anyone else lost a 720 this way ... Mrs JetA1 was not amused when smoke started to emit from the TomTom, I must admit we pulled over PDQ and I nearly threw it out the window fearing that it would catch fire !!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your car charger cable/ addaptor has let go, rather than risk it ever being used again I would tie it up or label it faulty, next contact TomTom 0845 161 0009 in the morning and see if they can offer any advice, charger cable faults are not unheard of so they might assist to repair the device - Mike
rfp2001
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confirmation that these things - as with PC's - run on smoke: when it escapes then they stop working.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my devices is a GO700 running App 6.520 very competently (with map 675 - includes London congestion charge). Its navigating performance is very close to my 920 and XL Live IQ Routes version.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eish don't make me worry now ,I've had mine since the day they came out and apart from the battery getting Censored (DennisN) ...not that it was ever any good to start with ,so just hope mine does go that way
garcor
Regular Visitor

Location: Nova Scotia & Florida in Winter Go 920 App 8.351 Maps NA 850 & C/W EU 830

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 920 did the same thing about 8 mts ago but I unpluged it right away. I caled TT suport and told them about it and the replaced th charger and it worked fine up untill last week.
Then the new car charger started the same thing smoking at the usb plugin. agaimn I unplug imediately and the unit would only start and run for about a minute. When I got home I tried it on my docking station and it would conect to home without any problem but when I tried to run the unit on the docking station it wouldn't run without conecting to home.
However when I conected to AC adaptor it worked fine.
After reading a few posting about trying clearflash restoring battery life I thought I would give it a try but that was a mistake. After running clearflash my unit would not connect to home or run with Ac adaptor.
I tried reset and let the unit sit there plug into AC charger and it would start for a couple of seconds and by holding the power button in it gave me a black screen with two colums of information with about 10 lines in each. But again as I said it was only for a second or to so I couldn't read everything.
I have since removed the battery and have ordered a replacement battery that should be here in week .

I am keeping my fingers crossed it was only the battery that was fried from this faulty charger and not my unit.
jeta1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Sounds like your car charger cable/ addaptor has let go, rather than risk it ever being used again I would tie it up or label it faulty, next contact TomTom 0845 161 0009 in the morning and see if they can offer any advice, charger cable faults are not unheard of so they might assist to repair the device - Mike

Many thanks, from what you say I would deduce that the charging lead has faulted and exposed the 720 to 'too many' volts hence the fried internals. Given the age of the device it doesn't owe me anything so its probably not economic to repair it. Do you know if they might make an offer on the price of a new one? Sorry reason I'm asking you is that the automated voice on the phone is saying hang up and check the website. Not surprisingly smoke+repair don't turn up many options in the FAQ's so was just seeking an opinion, given your experience of TT.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer machine will only be active if there is nobody in the office, I seem to remember someone mentioned a bank holiday weekend in Holland so it's worth trying again Tuesday, I should have mentioned this in the earlier post - Mike
garcor
Regular Visitor

Location: Nova Scotia & Florida in Winter Go 920 App 8.351 Maps NA 850 & C/W EU 830

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeta1 wrote:
mikealder wrote:

Many thanks, from what you say I would deduce that the charging lead has faulted and exposed the 720 to 'too many' volts hence the fried internals. Given the age of the device it doesn't owe me anything so its probably not economic to repair it. Do you know if they might make an offer on the price of a new one? Sorry reason I'm asking you is that the automated voice on the phone is saying hang up and check the website. Not surprisingly smoke+repair don't turn up many options in the FAQ's so was just seeking an opinion, given your experience of TT.

When I called N/A support they did offer me a ( coustomer loyalty ) discount so hopefully they would do the same for you over there.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: