Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Screen Visibility
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Screen Visibility

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Screen Visibility Reply with quote

Went for a walk today using my Garmin 60CS with Topo UK mapping as my Active 10 is in for warranty repair.I haven't used the Garmin for walking for a while preferring the Satmap and I must admit I really missed the OS mapping.

One thing that struck me though was how easy it was to see the Garmin's screen even in direct sunlight without any form of backlighting.The one gripe I have with the Satmap is the difficulty in viewing the screen in direct sunlight,or even not so direct sunlight at times.

When using it on the bike I have to have the backlight at or close to 100% permanently to see anything at all ( and no I don't think it is my eyes ).Of course this also has a bearing on battery life.

I wonder what the difference is in the technology in the Garmin screen compared with that of the Satmap ?

Ian
axys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my Satmap on my bike on Sunday, which was sunny, and the screen was nigh on impossible to read, even when I stopped and shrouded it with my hand. As a new user, it’s the first time I've used it on the bike on a fine day - I was disappointed to say the least.
Mike777
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

axys wrote:
I had my Satmap on my bike on Sunday, which was sunny, and the screen was nigh on impossible to read, even when I stopped and shrouded it with my hand. As a new user, it’s the first time I've used it on the bike on a fine day - I was disappointed to say the least.

Sorry if this is a stuipd question but did you have the screen brightness set to 100 % Smile

Reagrds

Mike
janerik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my point too. My old Magellan XL do is much better in sunlight allso.

I took of the replaceable cover thing and put on a coverprotection sheet instead and got a nice improvement in visibility
axys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike777 wrote:
axys wrote:

Sorry if this is a stuipd question but did you have the screen brightness set to 100 % Smile
Mike

It was set at 80% and I was using the boost button to 100%. There's not much shade on a top of a mountain and on a handlebar the Satmap is facing upwards and I don't expect a perfect rendering but its not summer - ambient light levels are reducing. I had to take the outer screen off which did improve matters, but it's a poor solution.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

janerik wrote:

I took of the replaceable cover thing and put on a coverprotection sheet instead and got a nice improvement in visibility

Yes I too have removed the top cover and use a screen protector and whilst there is a slight improvement in visibility it still leaves a lot to be desired in bright light.

Ian
johnjackson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use mine on the bike all the time. It can be difficult to see in bright sunlight. I found the following helps:-
1. Tilt the bike mount so the unt is about 30 degrees nose up. This allows you to look at the screen at a right angle in your normal ride position. Viewing the screen at an angle is poor in sunlight.

2. I always use 100% brightness with screen off after 30 seconds.
ocam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never actually not been able to see the screen; even in bright sunlight you can see it clearly enough to use it well enough. Move your head slightly, varying the angle allows you to use the transreflective effect or whatever it's called.

(Besides, how many bright sunlit days do we get in the summer these days?)

Anyway, the times you most want clearest visibility is in poor light conditions.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt everyone knows this but Satmap's reply today, FWIW was
Quote:
We suggest to try the following:

* In very bright sunlight it is possible to see the screen better by turning it slightly so that the reflective foil in the back of the screen gets used to most effect.

* Also - if the screen cover is very scratched - it will be more difficult to see through: you can try removing it and using the unit without a screen cover - or better still - with a Zagg protector.
Glad if it IS of any help!
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Screen Visibility Reply with quote

Bosun wrote:

I wonder what the difference is in the technology in the Garmin screen compared with that of the Satmap ?

Hi,

Yes, that's a question I've never found a definitive answer to. It seems to differentiate most handheld GPSs from PDA-type devices. The touchscreen layer on most PDAs might be a contributing factor and I wonder if the Satmap uses such a screen even if that part is not actually used. However, I suspect the reasons are as follows:

Most PDAs have screens to display "pictures" with 65k colours whereas the mentioned handheld GPSs only display 256 or fewer colours. I suspect the screen or drive electronics can be optimised for better daylight visibilty.

The OS map colours have been chosen for clarity when printed on paper and may be not ideal for a LCD colourscreen in transreflective mode. Since the maps (on the models of GPS mentioned here) are vector-based, Garmin can optimise the actual colours to suit the screen visibility. The "graphics" nature of a vector map is also likely to be clearer than a map in "raster" form.

Certainly the two extra reflective layers of the front protective screen can't help the Satmap. A Zagg screen protector is well worth considering. Being installed when moist, they're much easier to position and to avoid bubbles than other screen protectors (the main difficulty I have is getting them off their backing sheet at the start). They're not particularly cheap, but don't be put off from ordering on their USA website as they're shipped from the UK (and every one comes with a $5 discount voucher). Wink

Chers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
axys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the Zagg screen protector very difficult to apply, and even though I'm usually pretty good at such things, annoyingly ended up with 6 bubbles. Wasn't too worried because the instructions said they would go in a couple of days . The last 3 took 2 weeks. Mine (from Satmap) wasn't moist - it had a strong adhesive backing - you only got one shot at it. It was very shiny which didn't help at all with reflections. It seemed very tough but better suited to helicopter blades than Satmap screens (oh, and a ridiculous price for what it was). It went back with the Satmap when that was returned for a refund, and I wouldn't use a Zagg (or a Satmap) again.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only Zagg shields I have fitted have been supplied with a spray applicator which contains a soapy fluid that you spray on to either the device or adhesive side of the screen protector, this lets you "float" the clear protector in to position before using the supplied squeegy to get rid of any surplus fluid - 100% result every time, although the iPhone Zagg shield is a heck of a fiddly contraption to get right! - Mike
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The only Zagg shields I have fitted have been supplied with a spray applicator which contains a soapy fluid that you spray on to either the device or adhesive side of the screen protector, this lets you "float" the clear protector in to position before using the supplied squeegy to get rid of any surplus fluid - 100% result every time, although the iPhone Zagg shield is a heck of a fiddly contraption to get right! - Mike

Same here Mike,no adhesive as such.

Ian
Chris32
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Zagg protectors on several devices, including cameras and a pda and I have never had any real problem in applying them following the instructions given.

I took the outer cover off my Satmap and put on a Zagg protector and it has worked well for me, in heavy rain on mountaintops and during an amazing week of bright sunshine in the Lakes in September.

However my only use is when walking - I have no experience of using it on a cycle.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: