Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How do I change text of spoken warnings?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I change text of spoken warnings?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveg81
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: How do I change text of spoken warnings? Reply with quote

I have a tomtom 910
It works fine with computer voice Kate reading out the speed cam warnings.
I'm happy with her voice but I'd like to change the messages, for example from something like "....pocketgps gatso 300 metres" to "caution, camera 300 metres".
Which file do I edit to do this?
Do I just change the name of the files?

Thanks in advance for any help
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: How do I change text of spoken warnings? Reply with quote

steveg81 wrote:
Do I just change the name of the files?

No. You have to edit the files in an audio editor such as the free 'Audacity'
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can set the device up so the computer voice will read out any warning you like to type in the box, this can take a while but its not difficult to do:
Change Preferences/ Manage POI/ Warn when near POI select the distance then choose Type in your own warning" enter anything you like in the next screen as the text you enter is what the device will read out against that specific POI category - Mike
steveg81
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike, your suggested method worked - if a bit tedious.
I had seen that option but was hoping to do the job more quickly by typing in new commands via my pc keyboard and cutting/pasting text.
Anyway - all done now
Steve
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to make sense to me that the warning should include the type of camera so that you know at least if its forward facing or waits until you pass it e.g. Truvelo or Gatso so why would you want to edit out this part of the information given?
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The database doesn't distinguish between the types of fixed cameras, so there is no way of saying what model it is.

I assume Eric is a motorcycle rider, which would allow him to ignore the Truvelos, and go through at any speed, (since motorcycles have no front number plate) , and only slow down for Gatso, which sees your rear plate.

For the rest of us, in truth it makes little difference which way the camera is facing - its only a few yards between the sensing points.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomDavison wrote:
The database doesn't distinguish between the types of fixed cameras, so there is no way of saying what model it is.
Yes it does, and its possible to split the database down further if you really want to.
Have a look in the Gatso files and you will see the Gatso, Monitron, Truvello and Watchman types of camera, it takes a while to break all the files down and you would need to repeat this for every update. Obviously having the database fully broken down this way is something that very few people would be happy with as it will consume a great deal of the available total quantity of Custom POI files you can install to the device - Mike
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Mike confirms the database does say what type of camera it is or the one I download does.

I am both a motorcycle rider and a motorist. I don't want to know that its Trevelo just so that I can ignore it if on my motorcycle, but do want to know when setting them up in my TT device to warn further ahead for Truvelo's, as they measure your speed upon approach, whilst Gatso's do so after you have passed them therefore you need to know about one much earlier than the other.

I cant imagine why Tom would think motorcyclist are less concerned about about speed than other users of powered transport. Question Shocked Confused Wink

Last edited by EricWB on Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomDavison wrote:

I assume Eric is a motorcycle rider, which would allow him to ignore the Truvelos, and go through at any speed, (since motorcycles have no front number plate) , and only slow down for Gatso, which sees your rear plate.

For the rest of us, in truth it makes little difference which way the camera is facing - its only a few yards between the sensing points.

Tom Davidson.
Very rarely does somebody post something here that compels me to reply in anger. You have succeeded.

Firstly, get your facts right. Secondly, I hope your next post is an apology to EricWB. While you are at it, an apology to motor cycle riders generally wouldn't go amiss.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few random quotes from this site and a couple of others.

1. Biker Gary Lacey, 48, has been banned for 2 years after speeding at 81mph through a 30mph area. Speed cameras also witnessed him exceeding the limit on 6 other occasions.

It hadn't occurred to Lacey that each camera shot identified his distinctive bright green Kawasaki, with a missing mirror, and his snazzy matching helmet. His local Southampton police force simply stopped a bike fitting that description... and bingo!

With a two year ban and a £1300 fine, Lacey has now discovered a new-found respect for the law. He said his “biking days were over”.

2. As a biker myself I am aware that it is easier to pass forward facing speed cameras with a reduced chance of detection.

3. Managed to go through a Truvelo speed camera on sunday, in excess of the limit, but I was on the wrong side of the road*. What do you reckon ? Will I get a ticket?? There should be a nice picture of my arse on the camera, or do they only work if you are going in the right direction, given that by the time I went over the loops in the road, (which is the trigger) I hopefully will have been out of camera range. Or will I get done for reversing at speed

4.if you're in excess of the limit you get photod. this is a good thing if you're on a bike and go through one normally but over the limit coz all they get is a photo of you waving back but no licence plate.

5. http://www.visordown.com/forum/forummessages.asp?UTN=240597&URN=3&dt=4&srchdte=0&cp=1&v=1&sp=
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK guys, let's not go there. Off Topic

Just perhaps a reference link to the excellent pre-recorded voice warnings available Here, then I think we've gone as far as necessary on this topic.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN - Agreed and I apologize. Embarassed
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the original confusion may have been caused by the subtle difference between the current distribution formats of the database which DOESN'T differentiate between fixed camera types (if your device (such as TomToms) produces alerts depending on the POI category name), and the content of the database, which can.

In other words, individual entries are logged with the specific camera types, but most devices will not tell you about them, if you use the "standard" downloads.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: