Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom's iPhone App finally breaks cover
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom's iPhone App finally breaks cover
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My unit won't even plan a route from contacts if I select the details of my wife i.e. my Home location, it refuses to use the address, other applications are fine to use the same address from my contacts on the phone.

Note if I use Navigate to Home it works, its just the navigate to contact thats not happy, and Home was in the same county when I tried it - I was sat outside my own house Laughing - Mike
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
My unit won't even plan a route from contacts if I select the details of my wife i.e. my Home location, it refuses to use the address, other applications are fine to use the same address from my contacts on the phone.

Note if I use Navigate to Home it works, its just the navigate to contact thats not happy, and Home was in the same county when I tried it - I was sat outside my own house Laughing - Mike

Well now, there's the cause! TT is being sensible and sensible software wouldn't allow you to try to plan a route from kerb to front door - that's just plain silly! You need a pathway, not a SatNav!!

Maybe TT has gone all Sharia suddenly, and refuses to accept that your wife wouldn't be at your side at all times. Ergo, no point trying to navigate to your present location.

Hmmmm... Think I'm on to something here!! Rolling Eyes
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can assure you I have tried the same nav to/ contact and had the same result from various locations both inside and outside Lancashire - Mike
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, one big thing that annoyed me... pausing the ipod for directions! please, just lower the volume but leave it playing, or make it an option! a short 2m30s punk song lasted near on 5 minutes in the centre of bradford with constant pauses for instructions!

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:
MaFt wrote:
so where are the things that make tomtom pnd's so much better?

If I know TomTom (and I fear I do), they'll still be on the PNDs, explicitly to make them still so much better!

but the uk/ire iphone app is £60, not much cheaper than a pnd that comes with hardware, mount, mapshare, custom pois, poi alerts...

MaFt
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
but the uk/ire iphone app is £60, not much cheaper than a pnd that comes with hardware, mount, mapshare, custom pois, poi alerts...

Please don't expect me to explain or understand TT's logic here - they're the ones in financial difficulty, not m... well, ok, fair point, but not for the same reasons!
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
oh, one big thing that annoyed me... pausing the ipod for directions! please, just lower the volume but leave it playing, or make it an option! a short 2m30s punk song lasted near on 5 minutes in the centre of bradford with constant pauses for instructions!

MaFt

Certainly not. I never listen to music, I listen to podcasts and audio books, the last thing I want is what you suggest. Each to his own Smile
erne
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

MaFt

An option to change from either pause or lower volume not only one option
Pausing is needed for podcasts whilst music is ok for a lowering

Thats my thoughts

ern
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erne wrote:
MaFt wrote:

MaFt

Thats my thoughts

ern

I agree, but trouble is that's too complicated for Apple, they like to keep the UI as simple as possible
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyD wrote:
erne wrote:
MaFt wrote:

MaFt

Thats my thoughts

ern

I agree, but trouble is that's too complicated for Apple, they like to keep the UI as simple as possible

it's nothing to do with apple - it's tomtom who made the app.

but yes, the option of 'lower volume or pause' would be a welcome addition to all the navigation apps!

MaFt
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

it's nothing to do with apple - it's tomtom who made the app.

but yes, the option of 'lower volume or pause' would be a welcome addition to all the navigation apps!

MaFt

Oops sorry, complete brainstorm there, yes you're right.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And finally...

TomTom have updated their '...for iPhone' micro-site here, though for me none of the new links work - presumably work in progress - like the app!
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a 200 mile journey couple of days ago with my iPhone TT next to my TT940. One other big advantage of the iPhone version (apart from pausing my podcasts) is the legibility. In bright sun the iPhone was infinitely more legible than the 940.

One thing that confused me was the ETA. The iPhone was giving about 15 minutes longer on a 3 hr trip. I suspect it's to do with the expected speed. However, I can't see any preferences where I can set that up.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the TomTom app to do nearly two thousand miles over the last few days, and I have to say, it hasn't put a foot wrong, it is much better than what I expected, no lag on the screen, clear voice instructions, quick at re calculating the route, no dropping of sats, really pleased so far.

All the others like Co pilot, Sygic and Navigon have not performed as well.

I don't use the camera database so that feature does not affect me Smile

(When I say the others have not performed as well, that is obviously my opinion, I appreciate others have had different experiences)

To old to die young.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the issue i have with the tomtom app is what it COULD have been. as a so-called market leader i was expecting text-to-speech, live search, custom poi's - ya know, things that would have 'lead the market' - but instead we have just another sat nav app for the iphone... and an expensive one at that!

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: