Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sygic McGuider Speed Camera Error
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sygic McGuider Speed Camera Error

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beavisthecat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Sygic McGuider Speed Camera Error Reply with quote

Hi all,
I think I have a problem.
After installing everything (Camera database plus .ogg warning alerts) I went out on Thursday to test everything out. I got a McGuider shut down with dialogue box "Unexpected error". It feels llike it happens each time I am approaching a Camera entry. After I unmarked the Camera POI's, it still kept shutting down, and only worked on unselecting the Voice warnings.
Any clues as to what the problem may be?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it the symbian version? pretty certain they issued an update to stop this occurring... can't find the post with the link though...

scarymonkey will no doubt be along soon to assist!

MaFt
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They issued an update to both the Windows Mobile and Symbian OS to take the software version to 7.71 (the same version as MaFt tested for his Sygic Mobile review). If you are using the original 2009 version, download the latest version of McGuider Assistant from here and update your version (make sure you take a backup of what you currently have first though). As MaFt said this update resolved an issue on Symbian phones where McGuider would crash with custom POI alerts.

If you are using the 2008 version then there is no update available AFAIK, and it doesn't support custom OGG files as easily.

I maybe able to assist more if you can let me know what version you are using and what type of phone it is. For WM based phones I can test the files you are using on mine if it helps (I run 7.71 with PGPSW speed cam files and the TomTom OGG files without issue), but for Symbian I am reliant on what other have said works or doesn't.

Quick edit to add - make sure any icons you are using are 8 bit (256 colour) bitmaps and nothing else as McGuider will crash if it tries to use 4 or 24 bit ones.

Vince

Last edited by scarymonkey on Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
is it the symbian version? pretty certain they issued an update to stop this occurring... can't find the post with the link though...

Sygic did but TeleAtlas got it pulled within a few days as they weren't ready to support updates at that time. I have posted how to update to the even newer version using McGuider Assistant though (the only supported mechanism for updating McGuider). I have been told this has the Symbian fix present.
beavisthecat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my phone is an e71, so it runs Symbian.
I have just checked my McG Assistant and it says I have the latest versions. However, on cheking About on the actual device it says that the version is7.70 Build 1458D, Map version 7.8. So not sure what I am running now......

Quote:
I have posted how to update to the even newer version using McGuider Assistant though (the only supported mechanism for updating McGuider). I have been told this has the Symbian fix present.
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are running software version 7.70 so not the latest. Unfortunately the interim release that TA pulled was also labelled 7.70.

The latest release is definately 7.71 and solves crashing POI alerts. When you run McGuider Assistant it should show you an update available in the updates section (it will probably show 3 - 1 speed camera update from May that you need to purchase from TeleAtlas if you want it, 1 map update for the UK to enable improved 7 digit postcodes and 1 software update). Next to these it should show their current status on your device (installed or not).
BTW the version of MCA I linked to is an updated version to the one what was shipped on the SD cards (not sure if it is different to the version shipped on the DVDs) but using both I show all 3 updates.

If you are getting no updates listed (and you have an internet connection when you run MGA) then you will need to contact support who may be able to provide an alternate means for you to update.
beavisthecat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted a question to TeleAtlas Support via MGA. I get the 3 Updates, but the Software and Map updates both have the Green Tick to say they are installed.
I also checked, and yes, the Icons are the 8 Bit depth.
Let's hope TeleAtlas respond - their last one was on a second attempt to tell me that they were no longer supporting the Safety Camera update service - hence my return to PGPS.
Anyway, thanks for your help.

Quote:
When you run McGuider Assistant it should show you an update available in the updates section (it will probably show 3 - 1 speed camera update from May that you need to purchase from TeleAtlas if you want it, 1 map update for the UK to enable improved 7 digit postcodes and 1 software update
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed the safety camera updates have stopped being sold. Great how they sold them to people as monthly updates for 12 months but so far I have only seen 2 updates (Feb and May).
You may be better speaking to Sygic support (supportATsygic.com) as in the past TA have always passed me on to them at the first sign of an application problem. The updates always used to be (and AFAIK still are) served from Sygic servers.
beavisthecat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got it sorted. Basically McGA had delivered the update, but the installation had not run automatically. For anyone else who has this problem, remove your SD card, remove the application from your phone, and then stick the card back in. It should then install the latest version.
Sygic were very good - I even got to talk to someone. TeleAtlas take note, please.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: