Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - City Navigator Europe 2010.20 ???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

City Navigator Europe 2010.20 ???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mupp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can completely understand your frustration. I bought my Garmin in March and - foolishly - took out a Lifetime Subscription believing Garmin's claim that there would be regular updates. I've had one. I wouldn't recommend that service at all. Crying or Very sad
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Exactly Reply with quote

Exactly and you would have got that one update FREE anyway under the usual 60 Day NuMap Guarantee

Maybe it is about time Trading Standards took a look in to this deal. Money for nothing and your maps unlikely!
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
Televinken
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Exactly Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
Maybe it is about time Trading Standards took a look in to this deal. Money for nothing and your maps unlikely!

Exactly my point of view.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understood from one Garmin Technician I spoke with that they allow for one free update to every new Nuvi sold as they have to account for royalties etc...

The NuMaps guarantee of 60 days was designed to overcome the issue that users could register their units a year or more after purchase and effectively get a "brand new unit" which would harm unit replacement / upgrade sales.

I have been given a new map outside the 60 day period although I had registered within the period but Garmin would only give me the map which I had been entitled to had I downloaded it within the 60 day period (not the newer release) which I thought was fair enough and fair play to Garmin.

I would wait until the new maps come out and ring their customer service line and plead your case and I am sure Garmin will oblige.

One of the rumours about the delay is whether Garmin are upgrading to Navteq traffic patterns which will work similar to Tom Tom IQ routes in having realistic road speeds based on historic usage - hope so!
robinb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What annoys me on the new maps is that they are so out of date !

Where I live there has been 250 houses now for 4 years.

None of the roads are shown.

The satellite image appears on navteq but the roads are not overlaid.

I have been telling them now for 2 years (navteq, garmin & tomtom) but the roads so far have not been incorporated into the gps.

Very frustrating
darrengsaw
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would urge everyone to get out and walk/cycle/drive and survey your local areas and upload missing bits to OpenStreetMap.

When OSM nears completion Teleatlas and Navteq will have some serious problems, a free open source map database would probably halve the cost of a new PND, and updates are wayyyyyy quicker.

It won't happen yet, but eventually OSM may well prevail and the whole map landscape will change in a big way. Look at Wikipedia and how that has affected companies like Encyclopedia Brittanica.

It annoys me that Navteq bang on about collecting a gazillion different pieces of data for each road segment, yet manage to miss new estates that have been built for several years. While its all nice and dandy having junction views etc, to actually have up to date basic road data would be somewhat more useful.

One junction on the A1 that changed from flyover to roundabout in January only appeared on a Navteq map a few weeks ago, then how long will it take to appear on a Garmin update??

Teleatlas are of course just as culpable.

Better stop moaning now, at least its friday!! Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: