Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - City Navigator Europe 2010.20 ???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

City Navigator Europe 2010.20 ???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rip-Off Garmin Reply with quote

EddyDC wrote:
Navigon does indeed deliver, but the time they do isn't fixed at all. Sometimes, one gets the update nearly at the last day of the quarter
xtraseller wrote:

I'll spend my money with Navigon who deliver the goods - for less too

Actually it was a month after the Garmin update was "due" to appear - around 4 week of July compared with 4th week of August for Navigon. But thats typical for them, I believe. But consistent

And they guarantee it

And it costs (for most units, which now come with either free or 80% subsidised voucher) just £20 for 2 years - about the lifetime of a unit, compared to £99 with Garmin for an update "when we feel like it" is what you / they are saying

Now I was happy with £99 a unit (I bought 2 NuMap Lifetimes for each of my Garmins), and genuinely believed it would be Navigon who didn't deliver, not Garmin

With regards who's right and wrong with the offer view the official Garmin website http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/uk/numaps-lifetime

Quote:
nüMaps Lifetime™

Navigate reassured you’ve always got the latest maps for Europe and confident your Garmin sat-nav knows the new businesses, street changes and junction alterations. With this one-off purchase, refresh your points of interest, routes and addresses as soon as new content is available.

Enter your product key into my.garmin.com to download a new set of map updates every three months. Whatever the original maps on your Garmin, get nüMaps for the whole of Europe and enjoy a Lifetime* of confident navigation.

I rest my case
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
gomara
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Garmin Updates Reply with quote

Quite correct above, but that's a general page listing all lifetime products. When you you go from there and actually click the Lifetime Europe Map (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=256&pID=33380) you get :-

How It Works
To use nüMaps Lifetime, all you need is your Garmin device, your computer and a USB cable. There are no monthly fees or continuing maintenance costs; you pay only once per Garmin GPS. When you want to update your maps, connect your device to your computer and log into your myGarmin account, where the latest map data is ready to load to your individual device. We’re constantly gathering new map data, and a new update is available up to four times per year. Sign up for our email notification, and we’ll email you when the newest data is available

So at point of purchase it's quite clear :-)
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the delay resolves the bizarre routing algorithms that seem to have appeared in the last update then it will be worth the wait.
robinb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having looked at the navteq source maps they are still 4 years out of date in my area.

I cannot understand why it is taking so long.

The satellite image is correct but when you overlay the roads they are not present.

I have been reporting this now for almost 2 years but nothing has been done.

TO be honest not sure I would bother to pay for new maps since they are so out of date !
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Trading Standards Reply with quote

Surely this won't run by trading standards - why on earth advertise one thing, then when you click and buy it CHANGES to another. Completely false advertising

What is more - I don't believe this shopping cart wording was ALWAYS put this way

And what if you read the OFFICIAL description, as put across CLEARLY on the Garmin website then telephone your order through, or pick up a card from another store, based on THEIR description

Why defend Garmin? They obviously intend to mislead and confuse. But they don't have the guts to rip off their American customers - they just think their European base are easier to ignore, and less important. Or that's the impression they are giving
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Garmin Reply with quote

Just spoke with Garmin regarding their misleading advertising, and they confirmed it is "misleading and will look to getting it changed"

Some progress I suppose

Also said it "should" be released something in September, although this couldn't be guaranteed
gomara
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Truce Reply with quote

Actually I'm not defending Garmin at all, I actually agree with you that they update should be available according to the spirt if not the letter of the wording. I guess I hark back to the days when we waited patiently for the then yearly update and paid over Eu100 for them and were delighted to get them. Even twice a year to me is an improvement. When I bought Euro Lifetime I actually noted that the 'up to 4' could be used as a way of missing out updates, but did not think it would be. But I knew I'd have no comeback if there wasn't 4.
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having gone through Tom Tom stopping support and updates for Navigator 6, Sony offering no map updates at all and ViaMichelin (still the best I have used) offering updates and then puling the plug on the lot (they did refund the E99 though), I am not too fussed if I get 2 - 4 updates a year.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Map Updates Reply with quote

I think we are all pleased the industry is moving towards more regular updating services to keep our units fresh

And yes, of course 2 or 4 updates a year are better than none for life

But if they offer 4, charge you for 4 and give you 2 or 3 something is amiss. It's a little like saying "All the countries of Europe Map Data Included" then just providing UK and Ireland - you wouldn't stand for it

If they had offered me 2 updates in the first place I may or may not have taken them up on the offer (probably not, as I would have thought it almost as easy to buy a new unit with new features too) but at least I could have made that decision
bav2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: almost free update Reply with quote

Has anybody seen this offering?

http://www8.garminfrance.com/buzz/offregarmin/

I'm wondering why other countries i Europe do not have this.

best regards
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Because they have to! Reply with quote

They probably have to do this offer because word is getting around they don't deliver on their promises!

Once again the main advertising says "4 times per annum during all the lifespan of your GPS!"

Only in the small print you may read "up to"

Until they start apologising for misleading advertising, and then offering a guaranteed service, why would anyone pay £20 let alone £99?
nachzehn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: almost free update Reply with quote

bav2 wrote:
Has anybody seen this offering?

http://www8.garminfrance.com/buzz/offregarmin/

I'm wondering why other countries i Europe do not have this.

best regards

This is very interesting!! The message is clear!! 4 updates per year for the life of the sat nav!! So, no 'small print', no misleading promises and no 'up to' nonsense!

Let's see if they will be true to their word! ( perhaps only in France, where in fact the majority of the popuation don't travel outside of the country!!)
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Small Print Reply with quote

No. It is there. They can actually give you NOTHING for your £99 (or 20 Euro if you live in France) if they please

But then I guess even 20 Euro is way to much for nothing!

Well done Garmin, you really know how to milk the cow
bav2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my point was that garmin france already offered this (€ 20) in June,
weeks before the new models 1x00 became available,
compared to other countries where you have to pay € 100+
For sure, new maps will appear in the coming months and € 20 liftime is
a good deal, if this would be applicable for whole europe.
Why is this for France only?
Televinken
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my 60 days from registering are now up. I was all certain to get at least one free update, since it was so long ago that the 2010.10 was out. Well, what can one say about this company? I'm SO glad not to have purchased any "one time" or "lifetime" map updates from them. Never again will I feel like a crook, installing the "pirate" maps available from here & there. Garmin bastards are fraudsters, & they get away with it! I hope there'll be a significant decrease in purchases from their website, & also their GPS units. I emailed the Swedish support in this matter, but of course I only got an acid reply that "its' 60 days as stated, period!". Grrrrrr.....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: