Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom £114 including the mount
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom £114 including the mount
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter_martin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: TomTom £114 including the mount Reply with quote

Handtec have now got the TomTom including mount for the iPhone on their website (pre-order) :

http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/2126/tomtom-for-iphone-inc-mount

£114 for the software and the mount, pretty expensive really.
andy1954
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right it is expensive.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom £114 including the mount Reply with quote

peter_martin wrote:
£114 for the software and the mount, pretty expensive really.

I wouldn't trust the price - it looks pretty speculative to me.

The devil's going to be in the detail...

What mapping is included?
What features are there?

£35-£40 for a mount including a receiver, leaving £74-£79 for the s/ware doesn't seem unreasonable, given what I previous paid for Navigator 6 (GB on an SD card) & a Bluetooth receiver (£129).
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no details given about map coverage, but given that TomTom NAVIGATOR 7 Software & UK/IRE Maps is £56.34 and TomTom NAVIGATOR 7 Software & Map of Western Europe is £80.49 and that, I'd guess, a powered iPhone mount would be about £20 and an external GPS receiver would be about £35 pounds, it doesn't seem terribly expensive!

We'll need to wait and see the details of what maps are included and what features/performance have had to be sacrificed to get it to run on the iPhone.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would expect the software to follow the other TBT iPhone applications in terms of pricing Sygic £59:99 or Navigon at £59:99/ £79:00 when the sale ends for full European mapping.

As for the mount, if you don't have an Aux input to your Stereo or a Bluetooth enabled car then the speaker will be necessity, the built in speaker to the phone is pathetic.
As for GPS reception I am unsure, the iPhone is far from being a good receiver, but Sygic seems fine and the updated Navigon doesn't drop the signal anything like as often as it used to, again price for this is a guess but around £60 would be my guess so if anything the price on handtec looks a little on the low side to me! - Mike
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how would this work? because the only thing Handtec would be able to supply is the mount! you wouldn't be able to download the software from them, Iphone don't allow that, so will you get a code to input into Itunes or something ?

To old to die young.
Mozmoz1958
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

80 euros and released on 8th August according to this german site:
http://www.youmac.de/iphone-ipod/437-navigons-mobilenavigator-fuers-iphone-nur-7999-euro--aktion-laeuft-bis-31-august
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mozmoz1958 wrote:
80 euros and released on 8th August according to this german site

Wrong, 80 euros is the special offer price on Navigon; there's no hint at TomTom pricing. The August 8th date is interesting though.

translation
3GGG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what? - If I wanted a TomTom I would buy one (I have one already). No way would I consider having to have extra hardware added to the iPhone to do what i could with a dedicated unit.

The iPhone's GPS with Sygic works well enough for me, though it isn't perfect yet.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3GGG wrote:
No way would I consider having to have extra hardware added to the iPhone to do what i could with a dedicated unit.
Why not? I'm not arguing with you, I've got a 940, but if I also had an iPhone, there might well be times where it would be more convenient to only have one device.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
3GGG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
3GGG wrote:
No way would I consider having to have extra hardware added to the iPhone to do what i could with a dedicated unit.
Why not? I'm not arguing with you, I've got a 940, but if I also had an iPhone, there might well be times where it would be more convenient to only have one device.

I would prefer to have everything in the iPhone as I can use it anywhere in any car I am in, because I always carry my iPhone. For the price of this extra tomtom hardware and software it would be cheaper to get a budget tomtom unit.

I doubt the tomtom iPhone Hardware combo will do well now that other software only solutions are out. They missed the boat I am afraid.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer my own choice when it comes to hardware for the car, the iPhone is quite happy and secure in the powered Brodit holder, its also where I want it positioned in my car.
For decent sound I have the Bluetooth iO-Play system to connect to which provides superb quality sound at very high volume levels through the car speakers without any wires trailing anywhere in the vehicle.
The GPS reception wasn't too good with the first Navigon release but thats significanly improved with the recent update. Sygic has been great since initial release so I wonder what the external receiver/ mount they are developing can really bring to the party.
Only time will tell what TomTom's application will offer, if it does contain maps that have the IQ routes data within them then the routing will be in a class of its own making it the number one choice, BUT if it needs the strange mount to work then I won't be bothering - Mike
erne
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the navigon software and have found it Ok ish. The routes it gives are not always the best though. I have an pda with quite an old version of tomtom (v6 i think) The tt routes are much better. My wifes igo has better routes as well. The Navigon still gets you there though !
I like having an all in one device. Much neater and less to carry around
My car has a ipod dock cable. Sound is great through the car speakers and I can still control my music via the car controls
I have stuck a metal disk on the back of the iphone and use a magnet mount. Clean simple and no bulky brackets. The magnet has no effect on the phone
I like the lane and signpost assist on the Navigon but the poor routing choices annoy me
I will wait untill Sygic UK and TT UK are out, check the price and then decide which one will replace the Navigon
It will probably be the TT for the routes

ern
Goober556
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erne wrote:
I am using the navigon software and have found it Ok ish. The routes it gives are not always the best though. I have an pda with quite an old version of tomtom (v6 i think) The tt routes are much better. My wifes igo has better routes as well. The Navigon still gets you there though !

My Navigon was giving me some odd routes until I changed it from 'optimum' to 'fastest' route in the settings. Not really sure what the detault optimum setting is supposed to do but it was sending me on some unneeded detours. Seems perfect for routes now.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigon's explanation of "optimal" routing:

"The recommended road does not necessarily need to be the route that is the quickest," says Johan-Till Broer, Public Relations Manager at Navigon's Chicago office. "This depends on your personal settings. If you want, you can always get the quickest or the shortest route recommended. But the standard setting is NAVIGON's "Optimal Route" which is a combination between the shortest and quickest route."

"This means," Broer explains, "if one route is 100 miles and based on your driving behavior would take you 58 minutes and there is another route that is only 70 miles and based on your driving behavior would take you 60 minutes, the device would recommend the latter since it's so much shorter even, if it takes you two minutes longer."

Something to consider, hinted at in the quote, is that Navigon's latest pnd models have a "learning" function, not unlike what Garmin has offered for a few years on it's Nuvi line (which actually started with the 2700 series StreetPilots). Your typical travel speeds over certain classes of roads are logged and then used in computing travel times based on your personal driving. But Navigon goes a step farther than Garmin, using your own real-life driving style to compute routes that might actually be faster for you. That's if I understand what Navigon has done. Someone with Navigon's iPhone app will need to answer whether that technology ported over to the mobile app. If they have, then you may sometimes get a route that seems odd at first glance, but in actuality may be the faster way for YOU to use.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: