Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 740 T - Live All Europe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

740 T - Live All Europe
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: 740 T - Live All Europe Reply with quote

I have been looking at the reviews for these and -- so far they seem OK..

However a couple or so of points --

1.- Do they come with - or can you get - a Mains Charger for them? or do you have to rely on a USB connection?

2. - Do they charge via a 12v point in the car?

3. - Is there a list of mobile phones that they are compatible with..

4. - Has any one got one and are they any good??

Would like one before I plan my holiday in France this year - so I can "get used" to it

Thanks

Maurice
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"740 T - Live All Europe" - News to me... Shocked

Is this a new model? I can't see any reference to it on the TT website!

The "Go 740 LIVE", has mapping of Europe, but the LIVE services only work in your own country.
To get round that, there is a new mount available as an accessory that will give you RDS-TMC Traffic ability in other countries, but I've never heard of a 740T.

Can you clarify.

If it's a normal 740 LIVE you're talking about, we can answer the other questions. Smile
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1.- Do they come with - or can you get - a Mains Charger for them? or do you have to rely on a USB connection?

Most sat nav come with a car charger as the battery life isn't usually that good.

Quote:
2. - Do they charge via a 12v point in the car?

Ciggy lighter usually. Or is a 12v point a different type of connector?

Quote:
3. - Is there a list of mobile phones that they are compatible with..

Yes. Click here

Quote:
4. - Has any one got one and are they any good??

Early days yet for me.....
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
"740 T - Live All Europe" - News to me... Shocked

Can you clarify.

If it's a normal 740 LIVE you're talking about, we can answer the other questions. Smile

see this

TomTom GO 740 LIVE Traffic Europe GPS Navigation System

I think this is what I want

Maurice
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LIVE traffic description is misleading. The device comes with a built in SIM card for the country in which the device is bought. A UK model has a UK SIM and will NOT pick up HD Traffic in any other country. The description of countries is simply those countries where HD Traffic is available to the relevant SIM card.

If you feel the urge, I suggest you contact the seller and ask them to confirm that if you buy one from them, it will be able to pick up HD Traffic in Germany, France, Switzerland and Netherlands in addition to UK as you drive through those countries next week and at no further cost to you.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can see, apart from them calling it a "T" in that advert, it looks like a bog-standard Go740 LIVE.

MAPS:
Although they say "Full Western and Eastern European mapping" and "seamless maps of 35 countries in Western & Eastern Europe", later on they admit it's actually only the major roads of most of the Eastern European countries, so the maps are also exactly the same as the normal 740.

TRAFFIC:
"T" models have always (up to now) refered to having the RDS-TMC receiver bundled with the machine. No mention of the new RDS mount for the 740 being included, so I think the "T" may be just a mistake.

HD TRAFFIC:
THe SIM card in the 740 works in only one country (no "roaming").
so you only get HD Traffic in your own country (that's why they have released the RDS_TMC mount accessory).
When you said "740 T - Live All Europe", it made me think it was one where they had enabled HD Traffic over the whole of Europe.
In the advert it says "now available for the first time in the UK, Germany, France, Switzerland, as well as in the Netherlands. " but I think the advert is being misleading again...

--------------------------

The only thing I REALLY get confused by is the very last line:
"Traffic Ready - FREE Life time subscription for live traffic updates - Included "

For the existing x40 models, HD Traffic is a monthly subscription, and for the old RDS-TMC it includes the lifetime subscription in the purchase price.

All I can think is they are bundling the USB version of the old TMC aerial in with the normal 740 LIVE, but it's certainly not clear!

As I said, there is no mention of this either as a bundle or as a new machine on the UK TomTom website, so unless you can get more info from the advertisers, I'd take their blurb with a pinch of salt!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also... the price is very expensive (£313.18 inc VAT) if it isn't something new and special!
Handtec are doing the Go 740 LIVE for £280.49 inc VAT and the top of the range Go 940 LIVE is only £350.64 inc.

Be aware that you DON'T get the mp3 Player on the 540 and 740 models. It is ONLY on the 940.

As Dennis says, check very carefully before you part with your money. Most retailers have a very limited understanding of the differences between models.

Finally, if DOES end up being a normal 740, there are quite a few of us who've been using the x40 range for a while now, so any questions, just ask. Smile
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Be aware that you DON'T get the mp3 Player on the 540 and 740 models. It is ONLY on the 940.

Or the FM transmitter and the 940 has the Enhanced Positioning Technology for when you go into tunnels etc...
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all this -- I have now been looking at the TT website and the GO 740 LIVE

Perhaps this is what I should have looked at
http://www.tomtom.com/products/section.php?ID=764&Section=631&Category=0&Lid=1

as it has all the answers to the questions..

apart from ONE ---

Is it a good buy -- I see that you can get it from Amazon etc cheaper.. so that OK..

But I do caravaning in France and Europe plus a lot of driving in the UK --

Am using the TT Classic [5 years old now] at the moment and am looking for the best upgrade..

Hope that explains things...

perhaps the 940 would be better???

Maurice
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit more detective work...
I I spotted they quoted a product code 1CF701100 in that NavCity advert

The 1CF701100 is a bog-standard Go740 LIVE, so I think they've been doing a paste-up job to produce that advert, without really knowing what they are on about!

SO, is the x40 any good?

In use it is almost identical to the previous x20 and x30 models, apart from the LIVE services

These consist of
HD Traffic
Google Search for destinations
Safety Cameras
Weather
Buddies
Fuel Prices

HD Traffic is good in theory, but so far has had a lot of errors like roads closed permanently when there are only night-time roadworks.
Google Search, I love...
Fuel Prices is useful (but can be several days out of date)
Weather and Buddies are just gimmicks as far as I'm concerned
..and we all know how good the Safety cameras are compared to the ones from here!

All that costs £7.99 a month.
Not really worth it to me.]

If you can still find a 720 or a 730 (MUCH cheaper) and use the free updates to get the latest software and maps, you get almost exactly the same functionality, PLUS you get the Jukebox/FM transmitter that's missing from the 740.
I think they look nicer too!
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fibre,
In answer to your original question, don't buy a Tom Tom PSU since they are pricey. Basically your device runs just like any other mini-usb device so you can either get a USB to mini USB cable (if you don't already have one for a mobile phone or similar somewhere) and plug it into your PC or if you don't want to have a PC on, source a 240v mains to mini USB adapter. They're all much of a muchness and the TT doesn't need much power so all of them should do the trick.

I'm assuming you want to sit in a chair with a glass of your favourite tipple and have a play. Well you could leave it in the charging cradle supplied (?) but it's tricky, but not impossible to operate. But with an hour or two of battery life you might as well save some cash and use it until it dies. I have all the above options but I've never had the urge to sit on the settee and plug it in. It lasts long enough before you've got bored or drunk too much! :-)
Holux GPSslim
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The x40 range do not have a mini USB connector in the bottom so to use a mini USB PSU you have to mount the device on the suction mount active dock and plug the mini USB into this.

The TomTom supplied USB chargers have the advantage over many others in that the transformer part has a standard USB socket on it with a USB to mini USB cable and also comes with a variety of European plugs. The advantage of the USB socket in the transformer is that you can plug your desktop docking cradle into it and charge the TomTom x40 (and others) in their docking cradle.
Fozzee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
A bit more detective work...
I I spotted they quoted a product code 1CF701100 in that NavCity advert

The 1CF701100 is a bog-standard Go740 LIVE, so I think they've been doing a paste-up job to produce that advert, without really knowing what they are on about!

SO, is the x40 any good?

In use it is almost identical to the previous x20 and x30 models, apart from the LIVE services

These consist of
HD Traffic
Google Search for destinations
Safety Cameras
Weather
Buddies
Fuel Prices

HD Traffic is good in theory, but so far has had a lot of errors like roads closed permanently when there are only night-time roadworks.
Google Search, I love...
Fuel Prices is useful (but can be several days out of date)
Weather and Buddies are just gimmicks as far as I'm concerned
..and we all know how good the Safety cameras are compared to the ones from here!

All that costs £7.99 a month.
Not really worth it to me.]

If you can still find a 720 or a 730 (MUCH cheaper) and use the free updates to get the latest software and maps, you get almost exactly the same functionality, PLUS you get the Jukebox/FM transmitter that's missing from the 740.
I think they look nicer too!

My experience of TT cameras on the 540 live is a very positive one. I ran a pocketgps database loaded sat nav and mine side by side for a fortnight and saw no major differences between the two. I know most people prefer the pocketgps one but it didn't pick up any more cameras on my route than the tt database did. In fact they both missed a fixed camera thats been there for years. I also prefer the way the TT database alerts you, I kept getting a second audio alert on the pgps cameras after I have passed them! The updating seems to work on the new tt database too as the M4 average speed cameras came up within a day or so of them being installed. I for one am happy with the tt database.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
The x40 range do not have a mini USB connector in the bottom so to use a mini USB PSU you have to mount the device on the suction mount active dock and plug the mini USB into this.

Or the supplied dock?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fozzee wrote:
My experience of TT cameras on the 540 live is a very positive one. I ran a pocketgps database loaded sat nav and mine side by side for a fortnight and saw no major differences between the two. I know most people prefer the pocketgps one but it didn't pick up any more cameras on my route than the tt database did. In fact they both missed a fixed camera thats been there for years.

Where?
Quote:
I also prefer the way the TT database alerts you, I kept getting a second audio alert on the pgps cameras after I have passed them!

You don't appear to have ever had a subscription so how did you come to compare ours and TomTom's?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: