Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator map errors
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator map errors
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navigator map errors Reply with quote

There appear to be several omissions in the GB maps. For example the hole of Powys Wales is missing. Several large towns in the Somerset area e.g. Shepton Mallet, Wells, Glastonbury ,Street not named on the maps.

I have emailed TomTom software on 4/08/02 they replied on 8/08/02 with this:

>Dear Chris,

>

>Thanks for your mail.

>

>We have examined this issue and have discovered the same problem .

>Currently we do not have a date when we there will be solution for this issue.,

>but it is high on our list.

>In the meantime we hope you enjoy using TomTom Navigator.

>

>please keep an eye on our website for news.

>

>Regards,

>

>TomTom Customer Services

>support@tomtom.com

>http://www.tomtom.co

I hope that TomTom find a solution to this problem.

Chris
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navigator map errors Reply with quote

Several of the Pocket GPS Staff had noticed some missing areas in Wales. This sounds like it's a mapping error and probably is being dealt with by TeleAtlas. Seeing that TomTom do not provide free map updates due to the cost, I wonder how they'll tackle this one. Technically the product could be stated as being not fit for use for people who require journeys to these areas, will TomTom produce an updated CD I wonder ?

Hello, anyone from TomTom here ?
Phil Pugh
Occasional Visitor

I see this as a major problem with these types of products. I live in the North UK and travel around the M60 a lot. They (TomTom) are using maps that have the planned route for the last part of the M60 (opened more than a year ago). These are so far off in places that Navigator suddenly decides I'm way off route and in the back streets around Oldham. Very frustrating. The manner in which the maps are distributed means that the entire map has to be upgraded - and there will be a cost for this - as long as it is kept reasonable for existing users I won't be too upset.
Ianh
Regular Visitor

TomTom support site says an update is available, you need to contact them, they send you a freepost address in NL, you send yur cd, they send you a replacement. SIMPLE!!

Over a week ago I sent mine, TomTom have not received it yet, plus they have informed me that they have a cd duplication problem which will add a further 8 days delay once/if they have my cd!

Anyone else sent their cd's yet ?
TheBoyGroucho
Regular Visitor

I posted mine on the 29/8...just emailed Tomtom to see if its arrived!
TheBoyGroucho
Regular Visitor

Anyone received their replacement CD with the updated maps from Tomtom yet?

Peter.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

My advice is to definately check with TomTom, I mailed mine back on the 2nd September, sent TomTom Support an email on Tuesday 10th and they say they have not received the CD. I purposely wrote in English FREE POST on the jiffy in case Royal Mail try to be a bit funny with it as there's no stamps and the address is french and also included a return address on the back just in case it didn't reach destination. Looks like my jiffy I sent just evaporated into thin air!

After several emails and proof of purchase it has been agreed they will send me the update within 3 working days.

If anyone is contemplating sending their CD back for an upgrade, please make sure you send it recorded/registered so that you can tell if it arrived at the destination. I didn't do this, but now wish I had!
TheBoyGroucho
Regular Visitor

I've emailed Tomtom again to see if they have received mine yet...I hope getting the replacement isn't going to turn out to be a right royal pain in the butt.
TheBoyGroucho
Regular Visitor

Anyone had their replacement CD yet?

Tomtom say they haven't received mine (posted nearly 3 weeks ago) and haven't replied to my request for to send me a replacement anyway....despite offering proof of purchase and proof of posting.

Grrrrrr
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Yes, apparently a package arrived for me this morning after I left the house from TomTom (small jiffy).
TheBoyGroucho
Regular Visitor

Tomtom emailed me to say they still haven't received my CD but they will post a replacement anyway...

So well done to Tomtom.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Unfortunately these mail-back programs are usually fraut with problems. I think the best thing is if people contact TomTom and a proof of purchase is verified then a CD can be sent out, or perhaps to code teh 1.21 CD so that it requires something that's on the 1.20 CD to work, this way it will stop quick piracy.
Chris
Occasional Visitor

I received my replacement CD today.

Loaded the GB map. Still has no data for Powys Wales.

I am wondering if TomTom have actually sent me the latest released software?

On this CD the Great_Britain.CAB file is 84,381KB and has a date mark of 03/07/02.

Has anyone with the replacement CD looked at the size and date stamp for the GB country map CAB file?

Regards Chris
Dave
Frequent Visitor

I've taken about a 30 mins look comparing both old and fixed maps and I can't see any obvious differences, the old CD from what I recall the map file was dated June, so there have been some changes, and also when installed several of the map data files have increased by around 300k, but the changes are not obvious. The confusion thing also is TomTom have still listed this as a 1.20 release, where on the website it says if you are running 1.20 or older, you need to upgrade, so this will be confusing.

I also had problems when I just loaded the compelete map and nothing else it kept causing application error on loading. Had to uninstall and reinstall losing my favourites, the GPS support driver is 1.35, and I've had massive problems obtaining a fix today, also the Pocket PC is running like a dog since reinstalling. Going to re-upgrade to 1.36 to see if this alleviates the problem.
Ianh
Regular Visitor

Dave,

To confirm the CAB file for GB map on the orginal CD was 85,419kb with a date of 04/06/02.

Has Powys, Cornwall, IOW, Dorchester etc. been fixed?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: