Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap on Jersey
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap on Jersey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris32
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Satmap on Jersey Reply with quote

We did some walking on Jersey recently (Channel Islands that is, not N.Y.) and I looked for a Satmap map before we went, but couldn't find one, so I left the A10 at home and used 1:25000 OS type map. It worked pretty well, but it doesn't show all the small lane names, or where you actually are and we did get slightly lost from time to time.

I noticed that some of the shops in St Helier were selling the A10, but in none of them did I find a staff member who knew anything about the mapping software. My impression was that almost 100% of what they sell is car type devices.

At St Catherines one day we were passed by a pair of cyclists who were clearly using A10s. They passed too quickly for me to speak to them and I suppose they could have been using a map of larger scale than I would have wanted, but I wish I knew what it was.

Given the number of visitors to the Channel Island each year I wonder whether a1:25000 card would be a viable proposition?
Bloberoonie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Jersey Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

If ever you find something let me know. I have been looking around for some sort of navigation aid for driving mainly, although the island is small, so are the many roads that criss cross the island and it's easy to get lost.

Anyone else know of anything?

Steve
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bloberoonie,

Bloberoonie wrote:
If ever you find something let me know. I have been looking around for some sort of navigation aid for driving mainly, although the island is small, so are the many roads that criss cross the island and it's easy to get lost.

Anyone else know of anything?

Have you seen our review of CoPilot Live v5, which we used in Jersey in October 2004?

Bo Peep and I regularly visit Jersey and we currently use a TomTom 730 with the latest maps. I believe that any SatNav unit that uses the latest Tele Atlas maps should now be suitable for using in Jersey.

Going back to the question asked by the OP (Chris32), before we found any SatNav that covered Jersey (i.e. prior to 2004) we were told (I think by Memory Map) that Ordnance Survey charged too much for their digital map data that it was uneconomical to expect any company from buying. However as it is now five years later and now that both Navteq and Tele Atlas have mapped the Channel Islands then may be Ordnance Survey 1:25,000 maps might one day become available.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Chris32
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Robert - I think we may be in danger of confusion, but perhaps it is only me . . . . Laughing

A 1:25000 map of Jersey is available on paper, published by the States of Jersey, Planning and Environment Dept. I think the surveying was carried out by a private company other than the UK OS, but the presentation of the map is very similar to OS, though it is on pretty flimsy paper and after a week of use is already looking a bit distressed. From memory it cost me about £8.

I understand that similar maps are available for at least some of the other Channel Islands and my hope was that Satmap might negotiate to get these maps onto a card for the A10.
Bloberoonie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Jersey Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Just tought I would look at my satnav which is an Indago 1000 and believe it or not it does have jersey on it. I was able to plan a route within Jersey and then simulate it on the device.

We are going in late October but will let you know how it performed.

Steve
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris32 wrote:
A 1:25000 map of Jersey is available on paper, published by the States of Jersey, Planning and Environment Dept. I think the surveying was carried out by a private company other than the UK OS, but the presentation of the map is very similar to OS, though it is on pretty flimsy paper and after a week of use is already looking a bit distressed. From memory it cost me about £8.

Apologies for the delay in replying as my Jersey 1:25,000 paper map was in the car, which has been in the garage since last night, due to a leaking fuel return pipe which was spraying diesel everywhere except back into my fuel tank, anyway I digress! Rolling Eyes

I now have the Jersey 1:25,000 paper map (the one with the cover illustration of "Spring Tide" and dated 2003) in my hand. The map is a compilation and the details are:

This sheet has been compiled from 1:25000 scale maps revised and drawn by Ordnance Survey, Southampton 2003 which were made from:

(a) Survey by Hunting Surveys Ltd 1965
(b) Survey by BKS Surveys Ltd 1978
(c) Aerial Survey by Ordnance Survey flown 1979
(d) Jersey digital map 2003

Chris32 wrote:
I understand that similar maps are available for at least some of the other Channel Islands and my hope was that Satmap might negotiate to get these maps onto a card for the A10.

If the other Channel Islands have SatMap maps available then I'd have thought that Jersey would have too.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: