Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help needed on Garmin Route Files
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help needed on Garmin Route Files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Help needed on Garmin Route Files Reply with quote

I run a walks web site and want to start adding downloadable route files. I have a satmap which uses GPX files and I am looking for help as to whether Garmin can use the same format?

Is there anyone who would mind helping me by giving me some advise on the format for Garmin, testing some files and helping me write some instructions / providing some screen shots of any garmin applications for converting gpx files and if possible sending me some pictures showing what a route file looks like on thier particular devise. I would like to do this for as many different GPSRs as possible.
You can email me at tara@tarastrails.co.uk

Here is a link to a zip file containing gpx file that I have created. http://www.tarastrails.co.uk/maps/routes/fernham.zip
togsie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbo,

I downloaded your file and opened it in Memory Map. It displays as a collection of marks and not as a route?

Have you looked at the Walking World web site to see how they present their walks? One way of doing it would be to create the walk in something like Memory Map. That way you could produce a "Route Card" for people who prefer to walk with just a map and compass but also make the gpx file available for those who like to use their GPS.

Regards.
Togsie.
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - The file was created in Quo and includes POIs and a route there are different "tags" that can be used in gpx files I think they are trkpt and rtept and wpt I used trkpt but it may be that it needs to be rtept for memory map.

Did you try loading it onto your gps directly or do you have to go through memory map first?

Is there a website anywhere that gives guidance on the formats that work with Garmin and memory map that you know of.

Thanks for the suggestion on walking world web site - i'll look at this.
togsie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Formats Reply with quote

Gibbo,

I don't know of any websites that list compatible formats for the Garmin, the .gpx format that you're using is pretty universal though and should work with most devices. It does definitely work with my Garmin 60csx.

Google Earth supports the .gpx format. I tried opening your file in that but the only waypoint that it displays is "start".

Regards.
Togsie.
togsie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: PM Reply with quote

Gibbo,

you have a PM.

Regards.
Togsie.
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Togsie for sending me the memory map file. It was as I thought MM uses rtept but also included some CDATA tags which don't think Qup produces but probably not needed.

Any chance you could try a couple of other files for me Fernham3.gpx is a normal route file similar to the one you sent me. Fernham4.gpx is a route file with some additional/seperate waypoints. Fernham4.gpx is my favoured route.

http://www.tarastrails.co.uk/maps/routes/Fernham3&4.zip

If you wouldn't mind is there any chance of a screen shot of each and if poss a photo of your gps showing the routes. bit of cheek I know.

I'll PM you with an email address. Thanks again.

If there is anyone else that can also test them and let me know how they get on I'd appreciate it.
togsie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Route Reply with quote

Gibbo,

I've downloaded both of your files and the good news is that that both display as Routes. The waypoint numbering on Fernham3 is a bit random but Fernham4 looks fine.

Both files downloaded to my Garmin 60csx just fine. I did try to take some screen shots but the screen is quite reflective and I couldn't get a picture that would be of any use to you.

I've made a couple of PDF's of the Route Cards that were produced by memory map, I'll PM you the details of how to download them.

Regards.
Togsie
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Togsie,
Thanks once again for your help and doing the pdf it has helped me alot.

Gibbo1-

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: