Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - QuickGPSFix Download
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

QuickGPSFix Download
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loro
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: QuickGPSFix Download Reply with quote

i've noticed that when i connect my Go 530 to tomtom home i am not being offered any QuickGPSFix downloads? when i connect with a TT one i get them, is this QuickGPSFix only for the TT one ? or have a got a problem with the TT Go 530 any help would be appreciated
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If QuickGPSFix download is a must for you (I haven't downloaded it since February 2008 when some of us concluded it was doing nasty things to our devices), there has been some discussion recently - do a Search for it. If I recall correctly, it is to do with TomTom Navcore updates being incomplete in some respects and you may have ended up with a file or three missing.

In the meantime, don't lose sleep over it - if you use your 530 more than once a week and have "Startup Preferences" set to "Continue where I left off", you shouldn't have any trouble without it.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis .... a question for you.

'Continue where I left off' is the setting I use for my 720 here in NA but, in a few weeks, my wife takes the unit to Britain. I realize that it will take longer for the unit to 'grab' a gps signal initially than it does when I turn it on here but wouldn't having the 'continue....' setting active make a satellite signal capture even longer initially?

(I have visions of her at Manchester Airport swearing mightely at the unit as it waits ... and waits ..... for a signal on that side of the pond. Rolling Eyes )
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought the "Continue where i left off" just meant it returned you to whatever screen you where on when you switched off and had nothing to do with GPS Fix or location.

For example if i go into the Map Corrections page and then switch off, when i switch on with "Continue where i left off" selected after the splash screen it takes me back to the Map Corrections screen. The other options Ask for a Destination, Show the Main Menu and Start Slide show act according to their description.

I have i missed something here?
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appears you are correct, Paul. From the manual:

Continue where I left off - your GO starts and shows the last screen that
was shown when you turned off the device.

Guess I should read it more often Embarassed

Thanks.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your wife hiring a car at Manchester Airport? If so, best advice is to install GPS, switch on and then wait for a signal if in the open or move to the first place she can safely stop and allow it time to re-acquire.

Driving off and hoping it will catch up is always a mistake, I know having tried it myself too many times! The hard part is finding somewhere to stop. Most time you're under cover when you pick up the car and airports aren't the easiest places to pull up in!
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: QuickGPSFix Download Reply with quote

loro wrote:
i've noticed that when i connect my Go 530 to tomtom home i am not being offered any QuickGPSFix downloads? when i connect with a TT one i get them, is this QuickGPSFix only for the TT one ? or have a got a problem with the TT Go 530 any help would be appreciated

If you have every backed up your 530 with TT HOME then when connected to TT HOME just click on the Add Traffic, Voices etc tab, then click to the screen with the Items on my computer, look down the list, then you should see QuickGPSfix Data, click to add to your 530. The next time you update it should now offer the latest file.

OR

If you have ever backed up via Explorer, have a look at the back up and find the folder ephem. There should be 3 files in it, just copy the 3 files to your 530 and again next time you connect to TT HOME and update it should offer you the QuickGPSfix Data.
loro
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
If QuickGPSFix download is a must for you (I haven't downloaded it since February 2008 when some of us concluded it was doing nasty things to our devices), there has been some discussion recently - do a Search for it. If I recall correctly, it is to do with TomTom Navcore updates being incomplete in some respects and you may have ended up with a file or three missing.

In the meantime, don't lose sleep over it - if you use your 530 more than once a week and have "Startup Preferences" set to "Continue where I left off", you shouldn't have any trouble without it.

thanks for the replies all

but before i attempt to correct this on my Go, can you please enlighten me on what the nasty things are
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Darren:

Thanks. Have advised her to expect a delay and to try to do exactly that, get in an open place, have a ciggy, and let it acquire a signal.

p.s. Going to pm you about a severe problem I'm seeing in another forum.
loro
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah right DennisN have done search and found some posts will read and digest later thanks

Pocketgps..........thanks found folder on a backup i had done on my old TT one
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Appears you are correct, Paul. From the manual:

Continue where I left off - your GO starts and shows the last screen that
was shown when you turned off the device.

Guess I should read it more often Embarassed

Thanks.

Well there you go. Maybe I should change my signature to NEVER RsTFM. That might explain why my GO700 didn't find itself lost today - I had switched it off and hidden it in my secret hidey hole in the van whilst I was out shopping, forgot to get it out and plug it in. Drove home and when I went out again, realised I hadn't given it chance to Continue where I left off. Switched on and thought I'd have to wait ages (especially as the 700 is Sirf 2 not 3). But I didn't, it found satellites as quickly as usual.

It's all too much for me, I don't understand this new modern technology stuff. Back in the olden days, I'd go out there, start up and say "Where to?" and the (thank God Ex) wife would tell me (and add "Get on with it, that's petrol you're using sitting here with the engine running!").

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loro wrote:
but before i attempt to correct this on my Go, can you please enlighten me on what the nasty things are

We went through a period when our devices were falling off the roads, or starting up a few hundred yards away from our actual location (say halfway between here and the next street). I did several miles southbound a couple of hundred yards or so to the east, off the M6. Everybody flopped around trying to guess the reason and some of us decided it was the QuickGPSFix and stopped downloading it. I haven't had the problem since - doesn't mean that WAS the problem, TomTom move in mysterious ways. Same sort of unproven gut feeling as we have about the nasties caused by MapShare (except we think it's proven with MapShare!). They may have had a "Bring your managing director's favourite daughter to work" day and let her have a play with QuickGPSFix. Who knows? I don't download it and have not noticed any problem acquiring and holding satellites.

loro
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DennisN

i totally agree with you on the mapshare issue, i don't use it myself either, thanks for your input, now to decide whether to put these files on my Go ? or leave them off decisions, decisions
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always used quickgpsfix on the 920 and didn't have problems.

On the borrowed 930 it has never been used and it takes all of about 2 seconds longer to get a satellite lock.

Make your own mind up, but it doesn't seem to do much for me.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
On the borrowed 930 it has never been used and it takes all of about 2 seconds longer to get a satellite lock.

You've busted the damn thing already! And it's not even yours. Stop it!

I was hoping to have a borrow of that myself when I get back off holiday and you've got your all singing, all dancing, 920 back from TT, so that I can send them mine. Evil or Very Mad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: