Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Aldi doing it again
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Aldi doing it again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Aldi doing it again Reply with quote

Just noticed that Aldi are repeating their Medion ppc next week 13/05/04
Here is what it says...

Personal Digital Assistant £269.99
GPS mobile navigation system and handheld organiser that can play music, DVD movies and games. 256MB MMC memory card with an additional 64MB on board. TFT display with 65,536 colours. Includes major roads of the UK, Ireland and Europe. Direction voice output, colour and arrowhead navigation. Satellite based positioning, for distance information and instructions of the route. Extensive collection of games including Jawbreaker, Backgammon, Cruel, Snake, Solitaire and more. Includes DaVideo Software which enables you to watch a movie that you may have downloaded on to a seperate MMC card. Complete with Microsoft Active Sync, enabling you to synchronise your PDA with your PC. Manufacturer’s three year warranty and customer helpline.

Seems to be better than the one we have at present. Plays DVD's too. Anyone know what hardware this is?

Here is link http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/specials_01_11/1.html
Kol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the Medion PPC250, an update of the previous PPC200. I believe it is slightly more compact physically, but software is identical to the previous model. It's on sale now in Halfords for £399, so the Aldi deal is a fantastic bargain at £270, esp with 2 MMC cards!! Wink
Halli
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kol

The advert says 256MB MMC memory card but you suggest there are two. Can you explain please?

An earlier ALDI offer was more expensive - did this have a second card?

What difference will it make if this offer has only one card and what will a second card cost?

Please accpet my apologies for any naviety on my part. I'm new to the forum but really interested in the offer.

Brian
Kol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry my mistake - looked at Aldi deal again - only 1 MMC card. Still a terrific price compared to Halfords! I believe original Aldi deal had Europe on second card.
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Yes the old Aldi offer had 2 * 256Mb Cards, although the Data on them was very much duplicated,

1 Contained All of the UK + Major Routes of Europe (Northern)

1 Contained South of UK + Major Routes of Europe (Southern)

The PPC200 that came with the original Aldi Deal has some problems syncing with Activesync unless you soft boot it before the activesync, so maybe Aldi/Medion have gone over to the new unit now to get away from these problems,

I have just boxed up my original unit, (Purchased November 2003), and it is going back to Aldi under the unconditional No Quibble 12 Months Warranty, and I will probably get one of the New units on Thursday this week when they come out,

Although at the moment I am running an XDA2 along with TomTom3 so may just not bother with the Aldi unit any more,

As for the extra 256Mb MMC Card, value wise you are looking at about £30

This new Aldi Deal does look very good value when compared to the same bundle in Halfords at £399!

Although if you read the description on the Aldi site closely, it only says you get "Major ROads of Europe Software"! Maybe it is not coming with the street level maps anymore, so this could be the cost cut!.

I will get full details on it when I return my old unit later today, and update my post,

Apart from the Activesync problems the old Aldi unit was a real trooper, in use every day both in the UK and US, (Using TomTom US and Navigon Europe), and it never failed me.

The only reason for replacing it with the XDA2 is really to cut down on units I lug across the pond with me, it was getting really silly, with

UK Mobile, US Mobile, Tablet PC, PocketPc GPS!. I was starting to take a bigger electronics bag each month,

So have ditched the Aldi Unit for the XDA2 that way I can lose at least one phone, I may also get a Wifi Card for the XDA2 and try without the Tablet PC, Every unit less has to be a bonus!

Regards

Vicky

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: