Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SatNav and PDAs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SatNav and PDAs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveOsl
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: SatNav and PDAs Reply with quote

Hi

I currently have an HP Ipaq rx5720 Travel Companion with TomTom Navigator 6, which I have had for a couple of years. It is linked to a laptop running Vista.

Everything is working well, and the combination of PDA and satNav in one pocket sized box is ideal. My problem comes with TomTom no longer supporting Navigator 6and the fact that I can no longer buy any udates/upgrades, including new voices maps etc.

Does anyone know of a more up to date combined PDA and SatNav, but preferably not with a phone included? The navigational software does not have to be TomTom, but the PDA must be compatible with Vista and Office 2007.

Thanks

Steve
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion would be Nav'N'Go iGO8, look HERE for compatible devices.

Until recently they were using Teleatlas maps but due to a falling out with Mio, who they used to supply software for, they are/have gone to Navteq mapping.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm not sure why you think NavNGo's fallout with Mio has anything to do with their choice of map supplier? They also still use TeleAtlas, at least on the two most recent products I've seen, iGO Amigo and iGO8.

Any-hoo, in answer to the OP, why junk hardware that still works? Take a look at Sygic McGuider, very similar to TomTom, has won many converts given their (TomTom's) poor support of the PPC platform and will work on your device. Our review is here.

You may also have missed that Tomtom have now U-Turned and released TTN7 for PDA's. Although your device may not be explicitly supported, so long as it is WM6.1 it should work.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hmm not sure why you think NavNGo's fallout with Mio has anything to do with their choice of map supplier? They also still use TeleAtlas, at least on the two most recent products I've seen, iGO Amigo and iGO8.

I thought I'd read that Mio were merging/buying out Navteq and iGO would be going to Teleatlas. Probably got my knickers in a twist. Embarassed

I'll be happy if iGO stick with Teleatlas as I've read, I think, Teleatlas are better in the UK.

Put it down to age.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
I thought I'd read that Mio were merging/buying out Navteq and iGO would be going to Teleatlas. Probably got my knickers in a twist. Embarassed

Nokia bought Navteq, TomTom bought TeleAtlas. Nothing to do with Mio. NavNGo suspended business with Mio as they alleged Mio were in breach of contract.

You may have been mixing up recent news that Navteq has won the contract to supply Mio in Australia?
Quote:
I'll be happy if iGO stick with Teleatlas as I've read, I think, Teleatlas are better in the UK.

Horses for courses, personally I think they're about level as a whole but we digress!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the range of compatible HTC PDA based phones that TomTom Nav 7 currently supports, they are all credible devices, depends if you want VGA/ qVGA/ built in slide out keyboard etc, there is quite a selection to choose from - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Have a look at the range of compatible HTC PDA based phones that TomTom Nav 7 currently supports, they are all credible devices, depends if you want VGA/ qVGA/ built in slide out keyboard etc, there is quite a selection to choose from - Mike

Mike, the OP mentioned he would prefer a PDA only rather than a Phone/PDA. Do they even make such products now?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOPs my bad, I miss read that, I guess there isn't anything available that is not a phone and PDA combo on the list at the moment, although there are more devices listed as compatable within the application files than there are on the web site list Shocked - Mike
SteveOsl
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question about PDAs and SatNavs. Looks like that particular market has dried up Confused

What I'd like to know now then is which is the best software to put on my existing iPAQ rx5720, running Windows 5. Any suggestios?

Steve O
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the Asus website it would appear that the Asus a696 PDA is still current, I paid £180 about 12 months or so ago, very versatile WM6 PDA with wIFI,bLuetooth, good screen and reasonably rugged, with integral GPS receiver, my only complaint is slow signal pickup although sirf3, otherwise very happy with mine, plus it will run most current nav programs including Garmin,Tttn7,Mcguider,Igo8,memory map etc.
DefenderBLACK
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the IGO8 as mentioned - excellent program and works fine on my old ipaq3970. If you liked tomtom you will like this. Found it more fluid and more informative than tt7. Only downside are the poi's icons are not as good, but thats minor.

Paul
SteveOsl
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about copilot 7? Does anyone have any comments - good or bad? Hopefully not too bad as I've just bought one off eBaY Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: