Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Apple WWDC - New iPhone Today?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple WWDC - New iPhone Today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
bedbug wrote:
So what I see today with Google Maps on the 3G, with my location periodically wandering away from the course of the mapped road, is automatically compensated for by TBT solutions? Clever! Explains why, when I disobey 'Doris', she takes a while to catch on!

TBT? Lock to Road is common amongst ALL road nav solutions. GPS is good but it can still wander by 10m or so hence the lock to road function smoothes out this error.

And of course helps to smooth out map errors or optimisations keeping you on track where they think the road is.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole of the Apple keynote can be viewed here. If you are interested in the TomTom section just skip forward to 1h22m when Peter-Frans introduces the dock and app.

In addition to Darren's list of features Peter-Frans also mentions a microphone.

My speculation is that TomTom have implemented an external GPS in the dock. It doesnt make sense for an external antenna as there is no cabling or connector for it on the 31 pin interface. So it must be either some form of external GPS repeater or more likely just the external GPS.

Now it will be interesting to see if TomTom allow the features of the dock to be used outside the Navigation application or if they are specific to TomTom services.

In the presentation there is mention of IQ routing which of course all the new devices have, and none of any of the connected or live services. I assume that these may be available as in-app purchases at a later date.

I am currently trying to arrange a meeting with the team and TomTom on June 19th, for a demo and discussion so any questions you may have (about the iPhone implementation) please post in this thread and I will see if we can prise the answers from them.

Interestingly there is a possibility that if TomTom get this right in terms of pricing and functionality that they could actually kill off the PND market. Why buy an expensive dedicated device when you can get a similar one that has the same (or better) features but does so much more? The main stumbling blocks for the iPhone have been poor audio output, a below par GPS implementation and power, all of these appear to have been addressed in the new OS/devices so the floodgates may well be wide open for the iPhone (not just TomTom) to capture the navigation market.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
...so the floodgates may well be wide open for the iPhone (not just TomTom) to capture the navigation market.

TT's share price is up 15% on the day, so the markets seem to like it.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigon rumoured to be preparing to release MobileNavigator for iPhone by the end of the month Here.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a rumor, Officially announced, and only one of many apps rolling out, several to be available before the TT one.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:
Navigon rumoured to be preparing to release MobileNavigator for iPhone by the end of the month Here.

We have the Navigon PR and are working with it now. Quite a few companies seem to be talking about TBT Apps now. I saw a number of them at Mobile World Conference in Barcelona this year, and know off record of a lot in the pipeline.

Maybe today is the day the world of navigation changed.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to know if "buddies" will work with it. That would be neat, to link to other iPhones and the car satnav. Plus is there going to be a walk mode?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorguy6996 wrote:
It's not a rumor, Officially announced, and only one of many apps rolling out, several to be available before the TT one.

In fact there is no roll out date for the TomTom solution yet, but any turn by turn application that relies on the internal GPS and the built in speaker is not going to be a good experience.

Maybe there is a market for an amplified dock solution, but even then the GPS still need to be beefed up a bit.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
In fact there is no roll out date for the TomTom solution yet,

Uh there is! June 17th to coincide with OS 3.0 availability.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike, how do I get on your "staff". I'm sure you could use a willing NA rep. Smile Half-kidding of course.

Looking forward to your opinions of some of the other announced and soon to nav apps for the iPhone, in their appropriate threads. Apologizing for my slight veer off-topic.
Back to the TomTom app, they do have a leg-up on any other solution for now with the on-board gps chip and likely active dock for powering the whole shebang. Hopefully they can keep the pricing reasonable so as to properly compete.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
MikeB wrote:

:d this is fun. Darren and I have different contacts within TomTom that seem to be giving different information. It certainly makes life interesting...
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
MikeB wrote:

Darren I obviously missed the availability date announcement. Previously I had understood it wouldn't be ready for purchase for a few weeks, giving some others a chance to jump first. My mistake. Thanks for pointing it out.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In clarification I'm lead to believe the app will be available on the 17th but the cradle will be some time later.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
MikeB wrote:

Now now guys, no need for fisty-cuffs. I read,
TomTom WWDC PR wrote:
The TomTom navigation application for iPhone will be available via the Apple iTunes App Store, following the release of Apple’s OS 3.0 operating system. Details regarding pricing and availability for both the application and the TomTom car kit for iPhone will be made available in advance of the products’ launch later this summer.
Hopefully that means the same day, but it doesn't specifically state that; in fact, it says both products will be available later this summer! I fear the software will need to wait on the hardware.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:
Darren wrote:
MikeB wrote:

Now now guys, no need for fisty-cuffs. I read,
TomTom WWDC PR wrote:
The TomTom navigation application for iPhone will be available via the Apple iTunes App Store, following the release of Apple’s OS 3.0 operating system. Details regarding pricing and availability for both the application and the TomTom car kit for iPhone will be made available in advance of the products’ launch later this summer.
Hopefully that means the same day, but it doesn't specifically state that; in fact, it says both products will be available later this summer! I fear the software will need to wait on the hardware.

Having discussed this with Darren we believe that there may be 2 release dates one for the application and one for the dock, this could be why we are getting different info from our sources.

Alternatively it could just be that nobody really knows Razz

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: